FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spelling (and newly added "Sayings of Zen")

Author Topic: Spelling (and newly added "Sayings of Zen")
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what? If you post makes sense, I don't make fun of your spelling.

However, if what you say is inane to begin with, incomprehensible, or I just plain disagree with it (and you are a newbie,) I'll probably make a crack out a spelling error.

First of all, I have trust issues with n00bs.

Second, I don't know you. You don't know me. I'm not going to slam your opinion on a controversial topic when I know nothing about you and you know nothing about me. I'll wait and do that once we get to know each other.

Thirdly, the mere fact that I've even acknowledged you existence is a major thing. [Wink]

Fourthly, get over it. We occasionally will make fun of n00bs spelling. If you come here and post (especially on controversial topics) as a newbie, don't expect everyone to take you so seriously. Most of you n00bs are so used to other type of BBs that you have no idea how most people around here post. We don't do flame wars and we try not to be incredibly insulting. (Occasionally, we fail miserably, but it is a goal.) If we are teasing you, laugh. Admit you are a dork sometimes, and get over it. We are, at the very least, talking to you and reading your ideas.

Lastly, sometimes, I just don't know what to say. Logically, that should tip me off to the fact that I shouldn't post, but it doesn't. I still will occasionally make a smart ass comment. I'm not trying to personally offend you. I'm trying to either not say something nasty, or I'm trying to make my friends laugh. (Sometimes, I'm just amusing myself. I do that a lot.)

Also, on an unrelated, but similar vein of thought, don't expect everyone to respond to everything you say. You know what? It isn't always personal! How many of us are supposed to say "I agree" or "I disagree!" Get a life! Nobody answers half the crap I say either. We all get ignored sometimes. Don't take it personally!

That said, welcome to all the newbies. Sure does seem like there's a lot lately.

How did y'all find the website? (Idle curiosity. Since there's been such a rush, I'm wondering why some many people came here all at once. Did I miss a book or article in which the website was mentioned?)

Welcome newbies. I'm Kayla and I'll be mocking you spelling skills in the days and weeks to come. [The Wave]

[Party]

But don't forget, we love n00bs. (We get tired of insulting each other and need new blood. [Wink] )

[Group Hug]

[ August 14, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you post makes sense, I don't make fun of your spelling."

Sorry, Kayla, off to the out-of-context thread I go.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pats kayla*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
We occasionally will make fun of n00bs spelling.
And we, in general, will do it if you've been here forever. Especially if your name is. . .
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lastly, sometimes, I just don't know what to say. Logically, that should tip me off to the fact that I shouldn't post, but it doesn't.
My philosophy exactly. [Cool]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimmy
Member # 5518

- posted      Profile for Jimmy   Email Jimmy         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... I'm a n00b with horrible spelling. And I wasn't offended when you made fun of me for it. I assumed it was just a joke. If by playing along and posting back I seemed that way or offended you, Sorry.

[ August 14, 2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Jimmy ]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

But, Jimmy, if you had pretended hurt here about the spelling, Kayla would not have to work harder to tease you. Good luck.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Actually Jimmy, this wasn't really aimed at you specifically. The last part was aimed at some "old-timers" and I was trying to let some of the newbies know that I wasn't trying to (nor is anyone else) to dismiss them because of their bad spelling.
Jimmy
Member # 5518

- posted      Profile for Jimmy   Email Jimmy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh in that case...

I'm actually very sensative about my spelling. All the kids' in grade school made fun of me for it and now I'm really sensative about it.

Edit:
Uh that is a joke...

[ August 14, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Jimmy ]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Good job, Jimmy, you might have a chance now.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Jimmy, have you downloaded ieSpell yet? [Wink]
TwosonPaula
Member # 5511

- posted      Profile for TwosonPaula   Email TwosonPaula         Edit/Delete Post 
Better to be made fun of for spelling, rather than because you can't keep your mouth shut. (Holds up mirror.)
Posts: 113 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hey, Twoson, I need that mirror too.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Like I could keep my mouth shut! [ROFL]
Kayla
Member # 2403

Subject: Sayings of zen

1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.

2. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire.

3. It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

4. Sex is like air. It's not important unless you aren't getting any.

5. Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

6. No one is listening until you fart.

7. Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.

8. Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

9. If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.

10. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

11. If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

12. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

13. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

14. If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

15. Some days you are the bug; some days you are a windshield.

16. Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.

17. Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

18. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

19. A closed mouth gathers no foot.

20. Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

21. There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.

22. Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving.

23. Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

24. Never miss a good chance to shut up.

25. We are born naked, wet, and hungry, and get slapped on our ass...then things get worse.

26. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

27. There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

28. No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously.

29. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday...around age 11.

30. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"How did y'all find the website?"

I have been affiliated with the site for about three years, but somehow missed this forum. I have a sneaking suspicion that I still have a login name of "Liz" from ages ago, but I don't have a Hotmail address anymore.

Anyway, I have been participating in the Writer's Forum for about two and a half years. I was in a writing group there, and we are still together, off site.

I came to this forum out of boredom, initially. I do not mean that to be disrespectful. I was just poking around the OSC site, and found it. Then, I found Ornery, had a big babyfit over there, and landed here.

In some ways, I think it is tougher in Hatrack. Ornery is like a Spartan war camp. The lines are drawn, the battle is set, there is no turning back or changing sides.(generally)

In this forum, people are being called on their crap on a daily basis. I have posted mostly fluffy stuff, because those threads hit a funny bone in me that hasn't been tickled in ages. I have lurked in some of the more serious threads, but what I have noticed amazes me. To me, change is everything. If you can't adapt, you die, basically. I don't mean people should change their beliefs, but sometimes it is OK to change your perspective on an issue. I have seen incredible growth here.

Nothing feels as wonderful as a good paradigm shift.

Thanks, Kayla, and everyone. You make my day, some of the last of my summer vacation, then it is back to the grind.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I read "I have been afflicted with this site."

[Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwosonPaula
Member # 5511

- posted      Profile for TwosonPaula   Email TwosonPaula         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been perusing this forum since way back, after running across it during an OSC gooogle, but I finally decided to post, bringing a little more joy into everyone's lives. (You can thank me with cash.) [Wink]
Posts: 113 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

31. "Big happy family" is sort of a three-word oxymoron.

Edit to add number

[ August 14, 2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

gooogle?

Is this a beta version of an updated google? [Big Grin]

Kayla
Member # 2403

I'd prefer to thank you with sarcastic barbs and spelling insults. Work for you? [ROFL]
E
Member # 1748

- posted      Profile for E   Email E         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah HA!

It is I, Elizabeth, having confirmed my suspicion that I have been here before.

Interestingly enough, my member number is lower than Kayla's, unless she had another user name with a lower number. If she does not, then she can no longer treat me as a newbie. I must, instead, treat her as one.

Take that, Ms. 2403!

Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla's working on her second one, Elizabeth.

Or should I say, Grand Masta E.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E
Member # 1748

"Or should I say, Grand Masta E."

Yes, Ralphie, I think you should.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll probably make a crack out a spelling error.

What about grammatical errors and typos?

I am a Dead_Horse, not a n00b_horse, of course.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E
Member # 1748

Grand Masta E says Dead horse is a noob.
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not. This isn't my first or only name, either. I'm just so old, I can't remember what it used to be. [Razz]
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but I finally decided to post, bringing a little more joy into everyone's lives. (You can thank me with cash.)
She's going to fit right in......
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm Kayla and I'll be mocking you spelling skills in the days and weeks to come.
::shakes hands::
Glad to meetcha, Kayla.
I'm Alan and I'll be mocking you logic errors until Charter pulls the plug on my cable internet (any day now. . .) [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayla, I love those zen sayings and will copy them post haste. Thanks for listing them. [Smile] [Wave]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwosonPaula
Member # 5511

Gah MORBO! Did you make a Savannah, GA joke!??? Nobody else knows what that is!

[ August 15, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: TwosonPaula ]

Kayla
Member # 2403

man, I shouldn't post after taking medication. (Not that the meds cause the grammatical errors, I just shouldn't do it.)

Corrected sentences.

quote:
I'll probably make a crack about a spelling error.
Yes, that means even your Dead_Horse.

quote:
I'm Kayla and I'll be mocking your spelling skills in the days and weeks to come.
Especially yours, Morbo.

E, glad you finally got your screen name back. Seriously, you've been here for 4 years and you only have 577 posts? What's wrong with you? You are still a n00b to me, though you should know us quite well by now. [Smile] Glad you finally started posting more regularly. Aren't you wishing you'd started earlier so the n00b hazing would already be over?

Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I leave for two weeks and you all let Kayla out of her cage.

Kayla, don't make me bring up your man-hating again. [Wink]

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"E, glad you finally got your screen name back."

I let my danged Hotmail account lapse, and in order to access it, I have to pay! I am quite sure I have an even older sign in on that.

I don't know why I never really landed here until now. It is odd, because it is a perfect place for silly banter and talk about literature, both of which I love. Well, here I am now.

There are different ways of being a newbie, Kayla. You will kick my butt even if I find out I am actually Member Number 10 or something, and even after nine thousand posts. It's just how the world works sometimes.

Liz(I am pretty sure that is my oldest screen name)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You know, I am realizing that getting older and losing my memory is actually sort of fun. I discover all these things I already knew about, but they are like surprises every time.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Well, I checked one through fifty and none of them seem to be you, so. . . [Wink]

(If you're curious, http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00005218 All you have to do is change the last four numbers to 0051 to continue, though being obsessive, I'll probably do it sooner or later. Unless I manage to successfully forget about it completely. [Smile] )

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could dig up Khavanon's archive thingy. It might be in there somewhere.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kayla,

If you do get obsessive about it, my old email was lo_brien@hotmail.com

Liz

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Or, I could pay to get the Hotmail account back, which seems SO unfair. I have some addresses and saved messages on there that might be worth it, though.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
[ROFL] This is my favourite one. And it is so true, especially in the winter when the snow is about a foot deep.

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Wel, I just typed in the old Hotmail address in the log-in page, where it asks what email address you have, and got this message:

Problem: We are unable to find a registration that matches that email address.

I guess that settles it, then. "E" is as old as I get.

Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I hesitate to admit it, but I went through number 51 to 300. Guess I can be a bit obsessive too. It really irks me to give up. [Grumble]
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a saying of Zen?

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do."

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, there's really no point in going progressively through the first two hundred or so registrations, since they're just two alphabetical sets. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Well, I saw it, but didn't realized it had changed into "Find Elizabeth's old screenname." I have a list. #611 is "eliz" but has no visible e-mail address. Registered January 8th, 2000, and has only one post. Maybe that's you? You could try a couple passwords you might have used back then....

There's a "Liz" that is user #3,009. That wouldn't be your earliest, though.

Tom, you know that as user #124 you aren't part of the alphabetical list, so it's silly to think the first "two hundred or so" are to be skipped. Instead say, "Start at me and go forward." [Wink] And side note, it's not two alphabetical lists -- just one, with capital letters first and lowercase letters second. Very ASCII.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh. [Smile]

Hey, in all seriousness, didn't fugu or somebody have something like a Hatrack Archive going for a while? Is that still around?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu created it, then it shifted to Zevlag's server, but it's not that type of archive. Here it is, though. Its main purpose seemed to be to archive threads, and most of those were the landmarks, which are now being archived here, so it's been pretty inactive as far as I can tell. I check in every now & then to see if there have been any changes, but I haven't noticed much of anything.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This isn't my first or only name, either. I'm just so old, I can't remember what it used to be.
I have a grandmother with that problem.

#32 Zen Saying:
Never underestimate the power or beauty of human stupidity.

E welcome back. I really love your "Anna Nicole" show and the other entertainment news on your Cable channel.

PS. Having only one way to spell a word is a sign of lacking imagination.

[ August 18, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.