FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 7 reasons why your pizza is late. (Rant.) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 7 reasons why your pizza is late. (Rant.)
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Wendy-

My hub works at Magpie's on Sabino Canyon and Tanque Verde. He usually works Wed-Fri evening. I don't know how close that is to you but they have a big delivery area. You could probably ask for him to deliver to you, they really don't care. (Although they do try to do it in order.)

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
The turnover is so high at those places that I had to call again and again to explain to drivers how to get to my house which was about 2 minutes from the pizza place. I always was a good tipper but almost never got the same delivery person twice, and very often got extremely late and cold pizzas because (I guess) the person got lost. I tip well on principle, that the person who is being served should always be appreciative of the person serving them, or else they don't deserve to be the one served. But I never saw that it improved the service any.

Anyway, now I can't eat pizza ever again so I don't have that problem. [Smile] I do get Chinese food delivered from 2 different restaurants and for some reason they are always very fast and courteous and never seem to get lost. The food is always hot, and they always beat the estimated delivery time, often by as much as 15 minutes. I wonder if this is true of Chinese takeout delivery in general or just a stastical anomaly? I've never had any pizza delivery that was consistently good from any of the pizza places, yet both these Chinese places have outstanding delivery service. Does anyone else have that experience?

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Pizza places are usually chains, while Chinese places are usually not. I outline the basic differences from a driver's perspective in the post I linked earlier, but from the customer's POV it's all good things: a greater desire to establish brand presence, competition from other non-chains (read: who have the ability to engage in price wars), and best of all, real food [Cool]
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question: If a place charges for delivery, do you still tip? I don't know who that money is going to after all... The place I'm referring to has a 1.50 delivery fee, which is actually lower than what I normally tip, but I'm kind of angry at the place for charging me it. Is it a madatory tip, or does it go to the pizza shop?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never worked at such a place, but my guess is it goes to the store, with perhaps half being alloted to the driver. I'd call them and talk to someone (manager, possibly, but a driver would be the most candid).
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ak, why can't you eat pizza? (Me, I don't like pizza.)

I work a night maintenance shift at Cracker Barrel. I just agreed before leaving work to take the rest of the week (three days were intended for the other guy, but he is at a restaurant that is in crisis and will be there for longer than planned).

Am I smart for the extra pay? Or stupid for taking such a long week on?

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I'm diabetic and can't take insulin, so I have to limit my carbs a good bit. I could have about 3 bites of pizza, if I wanted to eat exactly that much and no more. A whole slice would probably make me pretty sick. I like pizza but not that much. [Smile]

I guess you're smart if the money is worth more to you than the time. Otherwise you're valiant for sacrificing your off time to help your employer or coworker.

[ August 18, 2003, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Getting your pizza delivered to your doorstop is an extra service. You pay the same amount whether you come pick it up or have it delivered.
There are a couple of places near my house that charge a lower price if you pick it up. It's a "carry-out special".

I never worked in a pizza place, but I would guess that the ratio to deliveries to carry-out is very high, especially in chains. Even if they charge the same price for both, I'm betting the cost of the delivery IS worked into the cost.

That said, I'm a pretty good tipper ($2 or $3). I even tipped $10 once when the pizza was 2 hours late, because I had already called the manager and told him I wasn't paying for it.

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd die without pizza. I could eat it every day. I DON'T, but...pizza night is my favorite night of the week. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack,
I know you are in New Hampshire, but I don't know if you are near Lowell. When we went to the Lowell Folk Festival, there was a pizza booth-Suppa's?? Oh, my word, it was one of the best pizzas I have ever had. If you live near Lowell, make a visit some time.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
ak-

We have a Chinese place right up the street and they are usually late with colder food, and I think it's because they only have one driver so if you call when they're on a delivery, you have to wait quite a while. I wonder how many chinese places are like this?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
All this talk of pizza delivery is reminding me of the first chapter or two of Snow Crash. By the sound of it, the world's pizza delivery places need an Uncle Enzo.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
martha, i'm in the middle of reading Cryptonomicon, or as I like to refer to it, The Tomb.

Stephenson is great. I want to move on to Snow Crash next.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

I work 20 min from Lowell!

*drools*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

Ak> I suppose that I do need the money more than the time--not sure if I _want_ it more, though. I'm struggling to recover from a long period in the red.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack, I think it was Suppa's. Hmm. Boston Hatrack meeting site??
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I don't think that Magpies will deliver to La Cholla and River [Big Grin] Oh well, if I ever move to the east side I'll be sure to tip the drivers well [Wink]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Whoa whoa whoa how does River get to La Cholla??! I thought it stopped at Oracle (heading west). I do I take advantage of this happy turn of events?! [Smile]

[ August 19, 2003, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Psht forget it. I looked it up on yahoo maps. I'm great at totally ignoring the city in which I live.

[ August 19, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] [Grumble] [Grumble]

I have had days where I would gladly tip $20 or more if someone would just agree to deliver a pizza to this pizza-forsaken town.

Or Chinese food, for that matter.

[Grumble] [Grumble] [Grumble]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Where do you live, dkw?

Now I want pizza.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

DKW,

I hear you!! We finally moved to a town with delivery, and the pizza at both places absolutely stinks.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, I’m about 30 miles from Ames, IA, in a little town that no one has ever heard of. Population just under 600. Eight blocks wide by ten blocks long. No pizza delivery or Chinese food.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Good grief! Is human life possible with no pizza delivery and no Chinese food?
mackillian
Member # 586

Only in the sixth level of hell.

*eyes dkw suspiciously*

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

Among the heretics? *raises a brow*

Say...does that mean pizza delivery is available lower, too, or just higher?

mackillian
Member # 586

I always thought Iowa was a conspiracy of cartographers*, but never suspected it was a level of hell.

*Points to who knows where that quotation came from.

Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
We're more of the love, blood and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three, concurrent or consecutive, but we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory, they're all blood, you see.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.