FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Thought Losing My Sunglasses Was Bad

Author Topic: I Thought Losing My Sunglasses Was Bad
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Man loses leg on coaster

quote:
Workers at Univeral Orlando Theme Park are searching for a lost leg that came loose and fell off during a roller coaster ride, according to Local 6 News.

An official at Universal said that Hawley Webb of New Port Ritchie, Fla., was on Dueling Dragons when his prosthetic leg somehow fell off.

Officials believe that the leg fell into a pond located under the coaster.

The theme park has sent dive teams into the pond but the leg has not been found.

Universal said it will replace the leg if divers cannot find it.

Nobody offered to send in dive teams when I lost my prescription sunglasses at Busch Gardens. Of course, there's no water under that coaster, but it would have been nice if they had offered.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [EDIT: that's meant for Zan's last comment, not the story itself [Eek!] ]

Did they find your glasses eventually?

Hobbes [Smile]

[ August 18, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

They did. Theme parks do scheduled sweeps under their coasters throughout the day looking for dropped stuff and take it to Lost and Found.

I'm a little miffed. If they hadn't found my glasses, I would never expect them to reimburse me for them. I didn't have them secured on a roller coaster, which was stupid on my part. I know it's good PR on Universal's part, but it seems like it should be the rider's responsibility.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is there a pond big enough to lose a leg in under the roller coaster? What if it had been the whole guy that fell out?

I'll bet that pond is just full of dentures, too.

It's nice of the park to offer to replace the leg (because of the unfortunate pond placement and media coverage.)

Now, will there be rules restricting people with loose parts from riding? Shouldn't the riders accept responsibility for securing their own parts?

Wouldn't a giant net be better than a pond?

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

You have to provide retention for drainage anywhere that gets developed including theme parks. Building a pond to accept the drainage means using up land that could be used for another ride, gift shop, food, etc. There is nothing else going on under a roller coaster, so you might as well use the land for something.

Also, if people are falling out of a roller coaster, that theme park has very, very big problems ahead of them. Besides, if I did fall out, I'd rather land in a pond than on the cold, hard ground.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
He didn't fall out, though... Only his leg. (I was afraid it was his real leg when I read the first part of the article!! YIKES!)

If it were me, I'd hope they wouldn't find it... My leg would smell like skunky drainage water.. ick...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders why no one has made a Dobie of this*

Or have they, and I just missed it?

Teeheehee.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.