FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » More of insurance and German law and another translation request. German, anyone? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: More of insurance and German law and another translation request. German, anyone?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How cool! That's great kat! Depending on how fast you can type, you might try bable fishing for it. The translation would undoubtedly be horrible, but you could probably get what you need from it. If you don't want to type it out, though, it sounds as though Rabbit would be more than willing to help out.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
All right! A little real-life interpreatation practice for the denizens of Hatrack. [Smile] Just in case anyone wants to play. [Smile]
quote:
01 fuhr mit ihrem Damenfahrrad auf der B 17 in Fahrtrichtung Fussen am rechten Fahrbahnrand. 01, der hinter ihr kommend in gleicher Richtun fuhr, wollte sie uberholen und scherte mit seinem LKW nach links aus. Da zum Uberholzeitpunkt gerade Gegenverkehr herrschte, fuhr er wieder weiter nach rechts auf seine Fahrspur und fuhr so knapp an 01 vorbei, dab der rechte Aubenspiegel seines LKW mit voller Wucht von hinten gegen den Kopf der am Fahrbahnrand radelnden 01 prallte.

Der LKW des 01 hatte zum Unfallzeitpunkt laut sichergestellter Tachoscheibe aus dem EG-Kontrollgerat eine Geschwindigkeit von ca. 96 (!) km/h.

Laut Aussagen von unbeteiligten Zeugen hatte 01 zuvor auf der gleichen Strabe schon einen anderen Radfahrer gefahrlich knapp ohne ausrecichenden Sicherheitsabstand uberholt.

Es wird davon asgegangen, dab 02 ausreichend rechts am Fahrbahnrand fuhr. Allerdings hatte sie den parallel zur Bundesstrabe in ca. 1000m Entfernung durch die Wiesen verlaufenden Fub- und Radweg benutzen konnen. 02 trug keinen Schutzhelm.

And then there's two more pages of the form. I've found the guy's name, but I'm not sure about his company yet.

Did it read this right? 96 km/h. Good heavens, that's about 60 miles per hour. You mean someone hit me going 60 miles per hour! No wonder I squished like a mosquito!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, here's the babel-fish. It didn't work completely - does anyone know what the still-German words mean?
quote:
basing at the right edge of the lane drove 01 with its lady bicycle on B 17 into driving direction. 01, which drove behind it coming into same Richtun, it wanted to uberholen and scherte with its truck to the left out. Since to the Uberholzeitpunkt straight oncoming traffic prevailed, it drove again further to the right on its lane and drove past so scarcely at 01, dab the right Aubenspiegel its truck with full force from the rear against the head at the edge of the lane radelnden to 01 hit. The truck 01 had at the accident time according to guaranteed Tachoscheibe from EEC-controlturns out a speed of approx.. 96 (!) km/h. According to statements of indifferent witnesses 01 on the same Strabe another cyclist gefahrlich scarcely without ausrecichenden safety margin had already uberholt before. It becomes of it asgegangen, dab 02 sufficiently right at the edge of the lane drove. However it had parallel to the Bundesstrabe the Fub and cycle track running in approx. 1000m distance by the meadows uses konnen. 02 carried no protective helmet.
They're very serious about their helmets there. I made the paper with the tagline of "if she had been wearing a helmet, the injuries would not have been as severe." In my defense, I rented the bike and didn't see a way to rent a helmet.

Never doing that again. Heck, never riding my bike on the street again. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

- posted      Profile for Sal           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
02 (kat) rode her bike on the right side of the street B 17 in direction towards Fussen. 01, driving behind her in the same direction, wanted to pass her and swerved left with his truck. Because of traffic coming from the front at this time, he drove towards the right in his lane again and passed 02 so closely that his right mirror smashed with full force into the back of the head of 02, who cycled at the edge of the street.

According to the recovered speedometer (?) record of the EG control instrument, the truck of 01 had a speed of approx. 96 km/h at the time of the accident.

According to statements of uninvolved witnesses, 01 had already earlier passed another bicycle on the same street with insufficient safety distance.

It is assumed that 02 rode sufficiently towards the right at the edge of the street. However, she could have taken the bicycle/pedestrian path that runs parallel 1000m from the street through meadows. 02 didn't wear a helmet.

I did this "on the fly", so please, excuse my French.

NO HELMET!! [Eek!]

I'd say you were really lucky, kat.

From what I remember, German law requires a minimum lateral distance of 1.50m for a car passing a bicycle. Go get this guy!

Edit: If there was no speed limit posted, the default limit is 100 km/h for a "B" street (Bundesstrasse). It seems that at least the truck wasn't speeding.

[ September 23, 2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Sal ]

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Thank you, Sal!! [Smile] [Smile]

Holy crumb, I did luck out. I do have a lovely scar on my head, and I will adore Germany's health care system for forever, for when they shaved my head to put in the stitches, they did it carefully enough that when I wore my hair down, you could not see the shaven portion.

I don't know why I wasn't on the bike path. I don't remember being on the street at all. I took a break and went for a swim in a nearby lake during the ride, and getting on my bike after the lake is the last thing I remember.

There was a picture of the ambulance, street, and bike in the paper, and the street doesn't even look familiar. I don't know why I was there.
----

Okay, this means the name of the company the guy drove for is somewhere else in the report. *shuffles papers*

[ September 23, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

katharina
Member # 827

erforderliche FE vorhanden? ja [X]

CE 28.09.1999
LRA Neuburg-Schrobenh

Is this something? *looks* I'll bet its asking if he has a drivers license. So, good to know, but not his company.

*keeps looking*

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
FABRKYGHALTER

Radverleigh am Bahnhof Fussen

Bahnhofstr
87729 Fussen

Is this the hospital?
Sal
Member # 3758

LRA is Landratsamt -- a local government office. Is the town near Fussen? I'm wondering whether this is just the office in charge of the accident, or the one that issued the truck driver's licence.

The other thing ("Radverleih") is a bike-rental place.

There isn't any picture of the truck somewhere, is there?

Posts: 1045 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Thanks! My goodness, Hatrack completely rocks. [Smile]

Hmm... I have a copy of the paper with our picture in it at home. I can't remember if the truck is in it or not. I can scan it, but I have to go home to get it. [Smile]

Added:
quote:
UNFALLFOLGEN

schwerv [X]

Skalpierungsverlstrung linker Schlafenhereich mit Kopfhautabldaung, Prellungen, Schurfwunden

Is this anything?

[ September 23, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Sal
Member # 3758

Well, it's mostly [Eek!] ::shudders::

It's the "consequences of the accident", and it's somewhat medical. Basically, you were partly scalped (sp?).

And here I thought that was something typical American, you know, a Cowboy/Indian thing...

katharina
Member # 827

[Eek!] Oh my stars, this is getting more horrifying the more I read.

Uh, this is a German language question. Why are all those words capitalized?

I'll keep looking for the hospital info. Sorry about the freak out.

Added:
quote:
An der Unfallstelle verlauft der Rad- und Fubweg nicht kirekt neben der Strabe, sondern in ca. 100m Enterfnung parallel zur B 17 uber die Wiesen am Bannwaldsee.

---

Kontaktaufnahme mit amerikan. Generalkonsulat Munchen, Mrs. Goldman

Anything exciting and non-disgusting?

[ September 23, 2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Der Grammatikfuehrer
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
All German nouns are capitalized. Of course, I don't actually speak German, so I'm not much help.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

Grammatikfuehrer is correct about the nouns.

The sentence says only that at the accident site, the bike path doesn't run directly beside the street but 100m away and parallel to it.

Somebody apparently contacted Mrs. Goldman at the American Consulate in Munich after the accident. (I read through this thread a long time ago--I don't remember whom all you contacted. This Mrs. Goldman might know the answers to some of your questions, like which hospital etc.)

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Zentrale Abrechnungsstelle im Rettungsdienst fur

Arbeiter Samriter Bund
Bayerishes Rotes Kruez
Branddirektion Munchen
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V.
Malteser Hilfsdienst
Landesvereing. d. Privatunternehmer

Any chance that's the hospital?
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

In German:
Zentrale Abrechnungsstelle im Rettungsdienst fur Arbeiter Samriter Bund Bayerishes Rotes Kruez Branddirektion Munchen Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. Malteser Hilfsdienst Landesvereing. d. Privatunternehmer

In English:
Central clearing house in the emergency service fur worker Samriter federation Bayerishes red Kruez fire management Munchen Johanniter accident assistance e.V. Malteser emergency service Landesvereing. D private entrepreneur

dictionary.com click translator.... it looks like it might be the hospital...
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sal
Member # 3758

It looks like the "Central for accounting for ambulant treatment", listing different organizations/institutions that it covers. It doesn't give any specific organization or hospital for your case (unless there's a check mark somewhere), but this looks close!

[Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Kreiskeliniken Ostallgau
Haus Fussen
Stadtbleiche 1
87629 Fussen

Sparkasse Ostallgau

Zahlung sofort nach Erhalt der Rechnung

Any chance that's the hospital? [Smile]
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always a chance. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm optimistic. It was at the top of a bill for about 3,000 DM, so that's nice.

I have to say, despite the bills, I rode in an ambulance, had minor surgery, and spent a week in the hospital in excellent care for total expense to me (no insurance covering) of about $2,500. Go socialized medicine!

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Sparkasse = bank

Kreiskliniken = hospital [don't know what that extra 'e' is doing in there]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*blush* Um, that would be a copying error. <oops>

ooooo... that's promising. I'll bet the top address is the address of the hospital. And there's a phone number!

I'll call tonight. At *sigh* 3:00 in the morning.

[ September 23, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Sal
Member # 3758

Yep, this looks like it. Probably the hospital ("Klinik") bill, giving also their local bank ("Sparkasse") so you knew where to pay ("immediately after receipt of the bill").

Good luck!

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, once again it looks like I've shown up too late to be of any help. Sal's translations look great to me.

One note to Kat that may help with future translation. The letter german letter ß which you sometimes see in the middle or end of german words, although it looks like a capital B, is actual an es-zed. It is commonly replaced with a double s ("ss") in english print.

[ September 23, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Gotta tell you, Germans are fabulous. I just talked to a lovely lady at the hospital, and she was downright thrilled to help me. So sweet! I knew I loved them!

011-49-8362-500-0

[ September 29, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

katharina
Member # 827

011-49-8362-500-436
Hospital Records department
972-580-2486

The records department seems marginally less used to being called in the middle of the night than, say, the police department. Looks like another middle-of-the-night call for me. [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

Woohoo! Almost done!

I found the name of the insurance company and the German lawyer in some other paperwork, and I called the hospital this morning and they'll fax my stuff.

I have to say, I'm delighted with how easy this process has been, but I can't believe they are faxing the medical records to me, in another country, without a signature or anything. I just called and asked for them, and they said no problem. Holy cow!

On the other hand, I don't the report yet. There may be a snag. *crosses fingers*

katharina
Member # 827

Two (three?) weeks ago, I called the hospital records department, spoke to someone who spoke English and gave them my information and fax number. They seemed to understand what I needed, and they promised to fax it. Last week, having still not received the fax, I called back. I just gave my name, and the lady knew who I was and my info was right there and she would fax it.

"Today?"
"Yes, today." *laugh*

Hmmm...

Still no fax. Am running out of time. I have talked to my lawyer/relative, and he said to wait to send in the other stuff when I have the hospital report, so this is the bottleneck. Calling isn't working, so I think I'm going to send them a fax with the information on it and some tushy-smooching. *sigh* Am I selling my soul here? I don't think so - I was highly impressed with the quality of my care there. Anyway, it worked for the police department. Which leads me to Hatrack.

For those who speak German, I would love some help with some practical translation. I'll write it in English, y'all translate into Modern Business German, and I'll fax a copy to both the hospital and to the American embassy in Munich (with an explanation for Munich). Thank you, thank you. Hatrack is like Superman's cape. [Smile]

quote:
I am in need of a copy of the medical records for Katharine Pilkington, a patient brought in as a result of a bike accident that occurred on the 13, 14, 15,16, or 17 of August, 2001.

My full name is Katharine Jane Pilkington, the accident took place on one of the dates above. I have spoken to some employees of the records department there, and it is confirmed that I was a patient. I have copies of the bills and the police report, and am waiting solely on the hospital report. Thank you very much for your help with this.

If you have any questions or I can help in any way, please call me. My phone number is 000-000-0000, my fax number is 000-000-0000, and my e-mail address is Hatrack@hatrack.com. I will call tomorrow to make sure the fax was received.

Thank you very, very much. It was not pleasant being hit by a truck while on vacation.but I was wildly impressed with the care I received at your hospital. Thank you so much for taking care of me.

[ October 20, 2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought, you may be doing it already -- make sure you include the country code on any phone/fax numbers you send.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

What's the country code for the US? I can call to Germany fine, but I don't know how to call from Germany to here.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't our country code simply "1"?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Is it? How imperialistic is that? No wonder the world hates us! [Razz]
fugu13
Member # 2859

They hate us more when we assume everyone knows how to call the US [Wink] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

But that part is true. *nods* Yep.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

Ich brauche eine Kopie des medizinischen Bericht fur Katharine Pilkington, eine Patientin gebracht nach dem Radunfall der an 13, 14, 15,16, oder 17 August, 2001 statt gefunden hat.

Meine Volname ist Katharine Jane Pilkington, der Unfall hat an einer der oberen Daten statt gefunden. Ich habe mit einigen Arbeiter der Berichtabteilung dort gesprochen, und es ist bestatigt, dass ich dort Patientin war. Ich habe Kopien der Rechnungen und des Polizeiberichts, und warte nur auf den Krankenhausbericht. Ich danke Ihnen sehr fur Ihre Hilfe damit.

Wenn sie irgendwelche Fragen haben, oder ich kann irgendwie helfen, rufen Sie mich bitte an. Mein Telefonnummer ist ..................., mein Faxnummer ist.......................... und meine E-mail adresse ist ............................................. Ich werde Morgen anrufen um zu prufen, ob Sie das Fax bekommen haben.

Ich danke Ihnen sehr. Es war nicht angenehm, wahrand den Ferien bei dem Bus angestossen zu werden, aber ich war wirklich beeindruckt mit der Hilfe die ich in Ihrem Krankenhaus bekommen habe. Vielen Dank dafur.

Mit freundlichen Grussen,

[ October 20, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Should adresse be capitalized or just E-mail? Or should e-mail be capitalized, as it's functioning as an adjective? Hm.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yay! Kama, you rock!

This is great. I'll fax it today.

Kama
Member # 3022

Indeed.

E-mail Adresse. I guess.

[Wave]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Well, it's sent! I hope it Kama didn't have me sayhing something funny. [Eek!]
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all the umlauts are missing, but it should be okay. [Smile]
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... umlauts...

Ever noticed how phonetically similar that word is to "omelette?"

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Umlauts are stupid. [Roll Eyes]
katharina
Member # 827

*frustrated*

Hospital still hasn't sent the records. I don't know what the hold up is - I've called and they promised, and then I sent the fax and a signed privacy release, but still nothing.

*frustrated*

What else can I do?

I have written to the secratary of some bigwig in Germany (a friend of the brother of my step-mother) to see if she can call and find out. This is frustrating.

katharina
Member # 827

German Bureaucracy Update:

Still nothing from hospital, so, I wrote to the secretary of the friend of my step-mother's brother who helped me two years ago when I had the accident. I stayed with them after Italy, before flying back to America. Very nice people and very, very helpful.

Daniele (the secretary - isn't that a lovely name?) called the hospital and cleared up whatever misunderstanding was causing them to nod and smile and still not send the report. She has it (it was faxed to her) and she's sending it to me today, so I can send it to the brother of my uncle's wife in LA to do something about it.

-------------

This is entire experience has driven home more deeply to me the inherent inequity of my particular position. I mean, trying to do this on my own led to general failure for over a year because I didn't have the slightest idea where to start and the bureaucracy had no reason to listen to me. It's not done yet, but well on it's way, and it is because of (1) Hatrack *hug* I love you all., and (2) family connections. What happens to people without these? It isn't fair.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not done yet, but well on it's way, and it is because of (1) Hatrack *hug* I love you all., and (2) family connections. What happens to people without these? It isn't fair.
I know, sweetie. *warm hug

It's why we have to cast a very critical eye on the "level playing field."

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*hugs CT*

Whoop! All paperwork in. Am sending fax today. Time to wait the second time, but at least it's not because of my slacking anywhere.

katharina
Member # 827

Okay, for those who can read German and translate, I have some questions. If its gross, I apologize. I'm just wondering what exactly happened to me.

Commotiouberwachung, operative Versorgung der Skalpierungsverietzung, Schmerztherepie

Belm Fahrradfahren auf Landstrasse von LKW-Spiegel an Hinterkopf erasst worden

Bel Aufnahme Pat nicht orientiert, Amerikanerin, keine Deutschkenntnisse. Skalpierungsverletzung Hinterkopf. DS Li Hufte, Wirbelsaule. DMS opB

Wundversorgung nist Lasche

fugu13
Member # 2859

I only know a little german, but it looks like those excerpts mainly talk about you having some injuries to the back of your head.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The bumps on the back of your head say you crazy woman.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*fingers the back of her head* I do have a very cool scar, but you can't see it because of my hair growing in.
Kama
Member # 3022

Hmmm...

may not make much sense:

commotion monitoring, operative supply (?) of head injury, pain therapy

injured by a truck mirror while riding a bicycle on a street

patient not oriented at admission. American, no knowledge of German.

Injury on the back of the head

and then something more I don't get.

[ November 11, 2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.