FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dan Simmons' Ilium

Author Topic: Dan Simmons' Ilium
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read this book yet? Its by Dan Simmons, who is one of my favorite authors. His major work of science fiction is the Hyperion Cantos, which I recommend to just about anyone who will listen.

Ilium is a new book thats out only in hardcover, but I couldn't wait to read it. It turned out to be pretty damn good. Without giving too much away, it combines Homer's Illiad, complete with all the major characters (including the gods!), with cyborgs from Jupiter, 21st century scholars, and far-future humans. It sounds complicated, and it is, but it all makes sense. Sort of anyway. Its a bit confusing in parts, but the story is fun and about as original and crazy as I've ever read.

If you liked Hyperion, I suggest you go check this out. If you haven't read Hyperion though, read that first. Oh, and it helps if you have a decent understanding of the Iliad. You don't necessarily have to have read it (though it helped that I had), but a summary and some analysis would help understand things a lot. Also relevant are Shakespeare's sonnets and The Tempest, along with some Proust, but I'm not familiar with them and I got along fine.

I want to go into it more, but there's not really any point if nobody else has read it yet. Anything beyond a general intro would be a major spoiler.

The ending I must say though was the coolest cliff-hanger I've ever encountered. I was glad that the book stopped there, since nothing that followed could have possibly lived up to its set-up. The trojan war looks like a couple of kids scuffling in a play-ground in comparison. There's a sequal due to conclude the series, but I almost would rather my imagination finish it instead [Big Grin] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I want to read this book so bad, but it was $26(!) at Borders. I'll have to find it at a library or something.

Luckily, my only required course in college was a 'great books' class which taught a bunch of ancient & classical Greek works, including the Iliad and the Odyssey.

I was amazed to just read the first page of Ilium while browsing in the store. I am so glad that Simmons has finally returned to SF.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for replying Dest, I was worried this would disappear into page 2 hell without a reply.

I get depressed whenever a thread of mine does that...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not get the book, not because it was too expensive, but because I noticed it was the first of two. I refuse to read it, and then wait in agony for the second book, like I am doing for Sean Russell's third book in his fantasy series.

It looks very good, but I will have to wait impatiently.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up! I've got a copy on hold at the library now [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or does "ilium" sound like a body part?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book this week and enjoyed it thoroughly. Simmons expands on an idea that he first explored in his book The Hollow Man--consciousness as a standing wave front. In that book, the idea was presented within the paradigm of telepathy. In this book, Simmons uses it to explore the well-worn sf trope of the author-created universe.

This book does not seem to be as vibrant as his other books. I think this is because Simmons is not taking his time with each aspect of the various civilizations Xavier mentioned at the beginning of this thread, but rather basically paints the story in quick strokes, hopping back and forth between the characters. Yes, he did this in the Hyperion series, but each individual book in that series seems to be much longer than this book, allowing him to take more time for character and civilization development.

I do enjoy the book. I just wish I could have seen more.

[ March 22, 2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an autographed copy, but I have not yet read it. I will have to finish Quicksilver first.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it just me, or does "ilium" sound like a body part?
It's not just you. The ilium is a bone in the pelvis, and its homonym, the ileum, is a part of the small intestine.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great book! I'll have to wait for paperback edition, though.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Carrion Comfort and the Hyperion series. Song of Kali was a bit frightening. I will have to order Ilium from my local library, now. Thanks for suggesting it! And thanks Storm Saxon, for bumping the thread!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it this summer and loved it. It took me a while to get into it, but by the end I literally wasn't able to put it down. I brought it to meals, I read it while watching football, I just had to finish it. But yes, very very good book.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dansimmons.com/ds/news.html

quote:

The following formal announcement of the film option for Dan's book SONG OF KALI is currently appearing in various film and publishing journals. Darren Aronofsky is the director of such films as Pi and Requiem for a Dream:

Film rights to Dan Simmons's first novel SONG OF KALI, which portrays a journalist's descent into horror as he investigates reports of a famous Bengali poet returning from the dead in nightmarish Calcutta, to be adapted for screen by Louis Sussman, with Darren Aronofsky and Eric Watson set to produce, to Protozoa Pictures; the deal was finalized in conjunction with Richard Curtis of Richard Curtis Associates and Michael Prevett with The Firm Entertainment.

This makes me very happy. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thank you for replying Dest, I was worried this would disappear into page 2 hell without a reply.

I get depressed whenever a thread of mine does that...

Hear, Hear. I know the feeling. It's probably why I lurk more than anything else.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, X, we should totally be roomies or something. I just finished Ilium and it was great. That's all I have to say about that [Razz] .
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.