FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Bump on the Log (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Bump on the Log
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it might be interesting to try this.

As you know, I enjoy looking back in the dark ages of this board to see what topics I missed before I joined. Sometimes I bump things that I like, and want ressurected, but sometimes I like to bump things that might make people in current threads think a little.

So I'm starting this log. I will post the topic link in this log, then bump the topic. If I bump this topic, however, there will be no need to link it (obviously)<---and, hopefully a rule here.

Feel free to use it yourselves, it might be interesting to see what threads get bumped.

So, to start it off...

I've always liked this thread, though I am not very good at composing Haikus. The other reason I thought of it was that we have just brought home the Two Towers. Enjoy: Uruk-Haiku [Big Grin]

[ August 29, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
♫ ... in the hole in the bottom of the sea .... ♫
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
this board existed before you joined?
Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] Papa Moose, how did you get the musical notes???

I already bumped this thread but sadly it has sliped again... it's one of my favorites. Hatrack Romance Writers

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, I was thinking that too! But I can't remember the rest of it . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*considers Rivka's post an invitation*

muahahaha... [Evil Laugh]

There's a germ on the flea on the fly on the hair on the wart on the frog on the bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea...

repeat ad nauseum.

You can actually go further down (there's a molecule, etc., etc.), but it just doesn't scan as well once you get things that are more than one syllable.

Edit: left out the hair on the wart...eeeeewwwwww....

[ August 27, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm, I think I knew a different version . . . This one is cute, though. Thanks for sharing it. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
No problem! I think there are many versions...that's just the one I happened to learn [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I knew a different version too, rivka. [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great idea for a thread. It's like the greatest hits or something. Here is a thread that I ran onto yesterday during a search for something else. I thought it had dropped off the cue. I'm sorry, but this is one of the funniest threads I've ever seen. I really really laughed a LOT and it's even funnier if you can figure out who in the heck each screen name is. [Wink] So, I present to you, Applications to Be a Hatrack Horseman of the Apocalypse .

edit to add the right thread. This is the funny one. [Wink]

[ August 27, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

I just remembered another good thread: the photo album
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon, this is what you type to get the music notes: *rummages around for scrap of paper*

&# 9835 and &# 9834 Only without the spaces imbetween the &# and the number.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

♫ I'm walking on sunshine ♫

sweet! [Big Grin]

[ August 27, 2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Dragon ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Boy, glad you guys like the thread.
And thanks Teshi, I've been trying to figure that one out.

I mean ♫ Thanks Teshi! ♪ [Cool]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

This one should never have died.

Where did you get your name? [Cool]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
[ROFL]
[ROFL]

Thanks for bumping that Horsemen thread! Ever read something you write five months ago and crack yourself up? Geez, what drugs was I on?

[/immodesty]

I read that whole thread again from beginning to end. Greatest hits indeed!

[Big Grin]

[ August 27, 2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pop, I was thinking that too! But I can't remember the rest of it . . .
This is the version I know: There's a fleck on the speck on the tail on the frog on the bump on the branch on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea...

But maybe that's not the right one either.

Btw, I LOVE the thread title... great job on something catchy!!!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

We're going to have to keep this thread on the front page forever just because of Pop's formula for musical notes.

♫ ...lookin for fun and feelin' groovy...♫
[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Pop's formula for musical notes
Indeed.
[Grumble]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Was it your formula??? I'm sorry Icarus. [Hail] Come on, tell us who gets the credit and we'll give it!! [Wink]
Narnia
Member # 1071

I'm going to put this one on too...when I went to look for it, I found it fallen to the FOURTH PAGE!!! What IS this world coming to? ladies and gentlemen, Begging the Question.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
▲ ► ▼ ◄ ◊ ○ ● ◘ ◙ ◦ ☺ ☻ ☼ ♀ ♂ ♠ ♣ ♥ ♥ ♦ ♪ ♫ ▀
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, I was curious just how many versions of the log-bump song I could find. Here are some of them: one with music, one with other old songs, the army version, a site that's confused -- it has one set of lyrics printed but another is sung, this Canadian site knows the same version I do (with the sneezing flea!), and then there's the scientific version.
Narnia
Member # 1071

oooh, xavier...I'm SO impressed!! [Hail]
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Today's selection, full of Papa Moosy goodness:
Thread Killer .

Enjoy!

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

blacwolve, who's SN I have repeatedly used "k" in (and will now correct that mistake) brought up this topic, which is near and dear to my own heart: [Evil]

Celia sure got a bunch of votes early on!

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Why'd you change the thread title?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody bumped my floundering Hatrack Sock Exchange but forgot to log it here.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

On a whim. You liked it?

Here, we'll change it back to the original so that your comedy still works. [Wink]

Edit: advice--looks like Narnia did. Feel free to log it here if you like. [Smile]

[ August 29, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

To be fair, here's another bump of mine today, but It was done for practical reasons. You should see all those Dobies pages back!

The Dobie Thread Thread

Edit: Another Papa Moose Production.

[ August 29, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Hm...yesterday I bumped TTT Parody just for some laughs and forgot to log it in here too! Sorry. [Smile]

And by the way...twasn't me that bumped the sock exchange...it was funny though and I hadn't seen it in its original pass through the front page. Thanks to whoever bumped it!

[ August 29, 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

oooh, xavier...I'm SO impressed!!

Narnia, I don't think I've ever seen so much sarcasm packed into so few words. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Hey...I was serious!! [Wink]

Edit: I'll take that as a compliment though. [Big Grin]

[ August 29, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Well there goes tomorrow's bump! Dan beat me to it:

It's sacrilicious!!!!

[ August 29, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
My sarcasm detector went off too SS, but then I saw that he was the one impressed with the musical notes, so I realized he was serious.

Either way though [Razz] .

Is there a list of those things somewhere by the way? I got those symbols from a really round about and back-door google search.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

We shall not worship false idols.

[Hail] BoB!
CoULaM!

Thoughtfully brought to you by Elizabeth!

[ August 29, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

:Sits down at comfortable looking overstuffed chair, next to a roaring fire, under a Kandinsky painting:

:Takes out pipe:

Today's selection was suggested by my predecessor, eslaine. She enjoyed this thread when she joined back in July of 2003. This is a classic comedic thread started by Hatrack's own favorite finger-pointer (and you know which finger I mean) mackillian.

In it, mac struggles to understand the opposite sex, and yet, likely winds up with more questions about it than she began with....

The Bump on the Log now proudly brings you: mystery of men

Enjoy! [Cool]

:blows bubbles from his pipe:

Icarus
Member # 3162

I always enjoyed this thread:

Wordplay, by Deerperk27.

[Smile]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

It's squishy old Sunday...

So, here's a mushy piece from The Evil Sith Lord, himself, Emperor Palpatine.<---You old softy!

I had forgotten....

Enjoy! [Cool]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Well, I looked for the word "holiday" with the search engine, but this was funnier than references to Labor Day.

I give you: The thread formerly known as What is the stupidest thing you've done? Started by Head Ditch Digger.

Enjoy! [Cool]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

The Bump on the Dingle er, I mean Log proudly presents Icarus's fine (is that the right term?) thread about a female authors mistake of shattering "reality"

Maybe she should've just bitten her tongue....

Getting it terribly, terribly wrong, or difficulties writing the other gender

Enjoy! [Cool]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

As you probably know, I spent yesterday running away from a big cloud of smoke and ash. In honor of that, and having missed yesterday's bump, we now give you:

Preferences in Natural Disasters started by Cor.

Enjoy! [Cool]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Today is a self-promoting bump to expose everyone to Chuck!

A True American Hero

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Last night, while some were wasting their bandwidth on Hatrack Chat (self included), some newbies had some questions.

I think that this is as good a time as any to bump the new "Introduction to Hatrack" primer:

The Hatrackian Ten Commandments by T_Smith.

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Because it's so essential to understanding, and was buried over on the other side:

New Members Post Here

Enjoy! [Cool]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

A sunday morning fantasy lark, Avadaru's: The Hobbit Name Generator

Enjoy! [Cool]

sweet_sheepy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for sweet_sheepy   Email sweet_sheepy         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have an audio clip of the Bump on the Log song? Would love to hear what it sounds like. [Big Grin]
Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

My post on August 28, 2003 03:30 AM has links to lyrics, to audio clips -- the works! [Big Grin]
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, Erik needs some contribution to this thread!! So here is a silly one, yet necessary in Hatrack History... insert topic here. [Big Grin]
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ok, this one was a blast. For a good time, check out the Ralphie Headliner Goodness in Hatrack Headlines. [Evil]

[ September 22, 2003, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.