FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you read your name? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you read your name?
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized that even when people are talking to me by my moniker, I read it as my real name.

For instance, when reading Ela's reply to my post-count crack she wrote: No, Ryuko...

But I read: No, Abby... in my head.

Is that weird? Do other people do that?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

I have come to identify pretty strongly with this name, though.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Abby....

I read your name and think of an Anime character. A small girl very cute, very dangerous. (Anime formula: The cuter they are, the more you'd better watch out!)

I have been called "Slaine" for so long, it really is a name I respond to....

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
My response is pretty similar to Icarus's. I've been called Moose for a long time, even IRL (nod to Shinda-ers).

And due to Hatrack for the past couple years, I read "Pop" as being me, too, which throws me every time someone mentions pop culture or pop psychology, or even refers to popatr as Pop. It bugs, almost as much as seeing "bug" used as an intransitive verb does.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Hatrack has added "Kat" to the list of nicknames from Katharine that I will answer to and think of myself as.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko aka Abby,

It doesn't happen to me, but I don't know that it means anything. I've been using this particular screen name, in one form or another, in all my primary email addresses and logon names - I vary my passwords though. In my case, it means I've been seeing "sndrake" for almost 11 years. As you might have gathered, it consists of my first and middle initials, combined with my last name.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
What's odd is being called "Ralphie" at a Hatrack gathering and not blinking an eye.

And I just superimpose "Mistress of the Night" whenever I see "Ralphie" in a post.

edit: Moose, I think I exclusively called you "Moose" at both Shindas, and I think you exclusively called me "Ralphie." [Smile]

[ August 28, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what Icky said. [Smile]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I think I exclusively called saxon "John," so I'm not a good example to use.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I've often been called aka or ak in real life, so I think of those as being my name as much as I do Anne Kate, really. When people occasionally call me Anne, that does NOT sound like me. I don't like that at all, for some reason.

Most jatraqueros I think of mainly by their posting names. Aim names don't seem to matter much at all. I think of all of my online friends either by their real life names or by their hatrack posting names. What's funny is that some people's real life names just feel like pseudonyms to me. Like "Clark Kent" type monikors. The true identity feels more like it's associated with the posting name. <laughs>

For me Pod is one of those, and Jaiden, Tresopax, Human, also Slash and Ralphie. I know who people mean when they say Ted, Carolyn, Jon, Jon, Ty, and Toni, but those are not really their names, to me.

[ August 28, 2003, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom called me cicilia and i almost corrected him. not with my name, but with celia. i'm kind of suprised that i even responded to it.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the name Strider for so long before i even started posting at Hatrack that i was already pretty associated with that name in my mind.

Hatrack has just fueled that fire even more.

hmmm...which reminds me...Strider.

I know that I associate other regulars with their posting name, even if I know them in real life. I have some numbers in my phone by posting names, not real names.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Who's Tom?
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that I'm used to being called Fox, lol it seems normal to have some people call me Foxy. Of course you know being in the army I'm almost completely disconnected from my first name, Paul, as everyone and anyone calls me Jay. Its just the name I'm used to being called now. nothing crazy in reading your online name as your name.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
celia, I've never seen anyone use your real name in a post, so I've never done it. I thought maybe you didn't want it to be common knowledge or something.

I don't really think of myself as my username because it really doesn't sound much like a name or even a nickname. Some people use "z" or "gator" in their posts which actually sounds more like a name. zgator just doesn't roll of the tongue. Maybe if I said it to myself more.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
pops, you're hilarious.

edit: zan, yeah. if you post my name, i probably won't respond because i'll think you mean someone else. david's done it a few times and it just looks funny to me.

[ August 28, 2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Now this brings up a different point. At get-togethers, I always try to use the real name. I don't know why, that just seems right to me. And I feel a little privileged to know the real first names of Hatrackers . . . like I'm part of the "in group." [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Although I called Leonide by her real name in the Parachat room once and it seemed to creep her out. Of course, she didn't know I was me, but I still wondered if that was something she didn't want being general knowledge.
zgator
Member # 3833

I'm proud to say that I know that Icarus' real name is John. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Or Josh.
zgator
Member # 3833

Or Josephus.
zgator
Member # 3833

It's something like that.
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been "Macca" online since around 1995 or 96, to the point where it nearly creeps me out here when someone shortens it to "Mac". (I can't tell if they mean me or MacKillian...)

I didn't used to give out my real name online at all, but some people know it now. Many say that my nick suits me better.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time someone called me by my “real” name in a post I thought “Cool, now I’m one of those multiple-identity people who always confused me when I first started posting.” [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Edit: Dana,

The first time I called you by your real name in a post, I went back and edited it out in case you didn't want it known. I would've left it there had I known it would be a good thing in your eyes.

[ August 28, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

dkw
Member # 3264

[ROFL]

[ August 28, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

dkw--you didn't just barf, did you?

Edit: sure, okay. Make Erik look crazy! I get it.... [Grumble]

[ August 28, 2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Fine Erik, draw attention to the fact that Dana can't spell "rofl." Even after a speedy edit. [Grumble]

Edit: or spell "speedy."

[ August 28, 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

: rofl:

Oh, excuse me a moment....

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Vána as Vána. In fact, I have found that I now read most v-words as Vána, at first, because there are so few of them.

I also answer to Vána if I'm addressed that way. I know it's me. [Smile] I even think of myself that way, sometimes. And there have been a couple of times when I've nearly called my husband Lime!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Foxy! [Wave] Did I miss a welcome back thread???

on topic: I don't read my real name into my handle but I do have to look twice when I read the word "dragon" if it's capitalized.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Ryukochan, when I see your name I never think Abby. Or Susie or Jane ( [Wink] ). I always add the "-chan" in my head, and I actually always hear a cute Japanese girl's voice saying it in a very enthusiastic way. That plus your use of alternative smilies has a tendency to make me think of a big-eyed anime girl when I read your posts.

I am actually so used to people calling me "Saxon" in real life that it was actually a tiny bit weird to have friends calling me "Mike" at the various get-togethers. Usually only family and work people call me that. Well, and I guess friends from before college. Still, seeing "Saxon" around here just seems like my name, which is why it confuses me so much when people refer to Storm that way.

"sax," "saxy," "saxerton," and "Mr. 75" are still a little different, although I'm getting used to some of them.

Other names I automatically respond to offline: Mike, Michael, Sak, John (see, Moose? you're not too far off), Three-Quarters Japanese Michael Sakasegawa, Shantytown, Jap75, sakSOWN, (the) Sak-Man, General Huge, Hey Retard.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

Icarus, i don't think Leonide minds at all. it probably just threw her for a loop.

When dealing with get-togethers it's weird. I definitely call the people by their real names to their faces. But a lot of times i'll slip up while referring to them while talking with someone else.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Interestingly, despite the fact that it doesn't sound quite normal to be called by my real name, I get a giant kick out of calling people by their real names. Except most people named Mike/Michael. For some reason I only know one guy with that name (who I usually call Mikey) where I don't feel weird saying that name out loud.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually read my name as TheTick. Which usually prompts the theme song to run through my head. Then, I have to post some sort of Tick quote randomly on a thread.

"You don't eat crackers in the bed of your future, you get all scratchy!"

Then I get better.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
IRL, I'm called Mike by most folks (except for my wife), and Mikey by a select few. You know who you are.

(where's my ninja smilie?)

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! I just noticed that we have a new member (she's got 34 posts, most on the other side) named Julie!

Now I'm going to be very confused.

Darn!

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I spell my name out, so it's K-W-S-N-I, but in my head I say it kinda fast. When I got to wenchcon and said it like that, everyone just looked at me. It took a little bit for what I'd said to sink in. Everyone else pronounced it kwizni (or quizni, as Pop does [Wink] ) so I introduced myself that way to CT, and it seemed to work.

I pronounce Snuffles Snuffles, but he doesn't get out much, so he doesn't count.

Some people's real names and hatrack names I use interchangeably, like Belle, Olivet and Rackeesh(Actually, I tend to use Jeff more cause I can spell it.) For I have a hard time NOT calling CT CT, and calling Jenny Gardener Andrea. I almost exclusively call Raventh Mark, and I almost never call T_Smith Nathan. There are too many Johns and Jons around for me to keep them all straight, so I go by screennames, mostly.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Funny, I always read your name as either "Knights Who Say Ni!" or just "Ni!" Never thought to try pronouncing it.

[ August 28, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

kwsni, i always sort of pronounce your name something along the lines of "kwisani" in my head, but also sort of say it quick.

I do that with lots of names. change around the pronounciation to suit my needs.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I read my name backwards, which tends to make me wonder if I am dyslexic, or failing miserably at being original.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4842

- posted      Profile for *           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even pronounce either of my handles, which is rather sad. When I read MyrddinFyre, I think of fire instead of actually pronouncing anything.
Posts: 353 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I read mine slowly, five letter words are hard.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

That's so awesome. I've always wondered how you pronounced MyrddinFyre. [Smile] I always hear that with a sort of part-Welsh pronunciation: The first "y" is halfway between the "i" in "mitten" and a long "e" sound, as in "agree", the "dd" is like the "th" in "then" and the "Fyre" sounds just like "fire".
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Saxon: ^_^ Thanks for that. I hope to someday meet you in real life, as you are likely the only person who will be able to pronounce my s/n correctly. ^_^ Yay saxon-san!

quote:
I read your name and think of an Anime character. A small girl very cute, very dangerous. (Anime formula: The cuter they are, the more you'd better watch out!)

Small: NO!! (5'9") Cute: (shrug) Dangerous: Now, there, you've hit it on the head. Danger is my middle name. Actually it's Leslie...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

quote:
^_^
The exception to when I think of you as a big-eyed anime girl is when you use a smiley like that. Then you are a happy-pointy-eyed anime girl with a gigantic open mouth.

And sometimes you are additionally jumping in the air clasping your hands together with your knees pushed together and your feet sticking out to either side. Often making some sort of happy exclamation, such as "Yata!"

saxon75
Member # 4589

Oh yeah, and you definitely have braided pigtails at those times.
saxon75
Member # 4589

One more thing: I do hate to disappoint you but my pronunciation, while better than most, isn't perfect. I've never been able to fully master the leading "r" sound (it's not an "L," it's not an "R," what is it?). Most likely a consequence of having spent my formative years surrounded by hakujin. [Razz]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody called me "advice for robots" in real life I'd probably drop whatever I was carrying. Although I'm used to "afr" around here.

Have you ever said "lol" in real conversation?

Have you ever looked around for the CTRL+Z when you screwed up?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Sax, there are two 't's in Yatta.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.