FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Having Changed

Author Topic: Having Changed
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that before I left the number one concerny amongst most of my friends and family, even if not spoken, was that I would come back a different man. Well normally i just laughed and said of course I'm going to change to a point, but you know I'll still be mostly the same guy. Well today I was reading through some posts and just news articles and thought what would the Paul from six months ago have thought of all this and I thought with a little laugh, boy I'm way too serious. Not to mention a bit more.. well high and mighty about my views on how things should be. Not a jerk, I hope, mind you.. simply I can't stand by and let other people just run over what I believe. So I suppose you could say somehow the tempermental Paul is even a bit more so now. Watch out!

Though in all seriousness its just odd to notice such a massive change, I think mostly I don't mind so much calling myself a man now, which is nice btw being twenty now and what not. Its simply.. well I suppose a little heartbreaking not to be the boy and teenager I once was. It was nice back then to be well a little more playey and not so sure about the world. Now well I suppose in my mind I live in a world that is alive and real, not a bleak or bright one, simply one that exists. Well I could say a lot more, but I don't have so much time over here right now. Hope you all are doing well, take it as easy as you can.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Paul, as you grow in experience and wisdom, you will become an even more thoughtful and remarkable man than you already are. Enjoy it. [Smile]

(Glad you are safe!)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Change is life. Follow your intuition!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
We shall not mourn the Paul of before, but rejoice in your new Paul-ness.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, Dan. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
It is irrantional to expect you not to change. You are at the age in your life where you will do a great deal of growing and, hopefully, maturing. Your age and being intimately involved in war will change you. There is nothing wrong with that. Change can be a good thing. [Smile]

I am looking forward to getting to know my brother again when he returns from his mission in a month. I know that, having not seen him for these two years, he will not be the same person he was when he left (I know I was different when I returned too). But, that is to be expected. I look forward to meeting the new Jon. Likewise, your family and friends should look forward to meeting the new and improved Paul. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you've had an experience that changes your world view in a way that few of us could ever experience. Be strong, thank you for your efforts and come home safe and soon!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I cannot imagine what you have been through, but it must have been a huge, life altering experience. I hope some day you'll tell us about it.

((((Paul))))

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what ginette said. I don't believe I will ever be as brave and strong as you and your fellows [Hat]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:: uber-cool bro ::
(btw, sorry i haven't replied your IMs, i've pretty much been napping when you've been on)

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4842

- posted      Profile for *           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, new Paul [Smile]
Posts: 353 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you had to shoot anyone?

I think that would change a person.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that nearly being killed by someone also has a tendency to change a person.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been nearly killed on several occasions.

I am exactly the same.

*twitches*

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have to admit there are some things I would rather not talk about when it comes to being over here. Though I will say that its been rather stressful and to be honest I believe when I go back to the "civilian" world I don't think I'll be able to find something this stressful. Though to admit I want a hard job, one that does take a lot from me. Sooo hopefully I'll be able to get admitted to a college with my low high school gpa but middling ACT (29).
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
*applauds post* You're awesome, Fox. [Smile]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Having changed... ::grins:: you are still as if not more wonderful than ever. Just wanted to say I love you. [Kiss] It was so great to hear your voice yesterday! [Smile]

.../derail. [Wink] [Smile] [Big Grin]

...Oh yes, and [Razz] to anyone laughing. [Wink]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how people see things differently. When I spoke to you on AIM yesterday, Paul, what struck me was that we were talking about the same things we always talk about (how to change the world) in much the same way, except that we both have some more experience of actually doing so in our respective ways. You are a new, improved Paul, perhaps, but you still have many of the same characteristics and think in the same characteristic way that I remember and love so well. [Kiss] (just because I wanted to use that smiley).
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree with Amira, Paul. You are changed, but still the same. From talking to you on AIM you seem stronger and more able to accept the good and bad things that life sends you with equanimity, but also you are still yourself. You still care about people as you always have and you still are the same Paul inside, if maybe a little quieter.

I only hope I will weather my experiences over there, which I expect to be much less stressful than yours have been, with equal grace.

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, Fox; it's good to see you are doing well. We were worried for you, and tought of you whenever we were on hatrack....not often enough, but still...

Kwea [Party]

P.S. a 29 on the ACT is great....don't sell yourself short. I got a 26, and was told that the equilivent score on the SAT is a 1250-1300, so you should be able to qualify for just about any school with a 29....

[ September 01, 2003, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh yes, and [Razz] to anyone laughing.
I wasn't laughing... on the contrary, I'm sitting here smiling and going "awww!"

Welcome back, Black Fox.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to hear from you, Black Fox. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Paul, I cannot imagine what you have been through, but it must have been a huge, life altering experience. I hope some day you'll tell us about it.
^ What ginette said.

(((((bro)))))

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.