FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » No matter which religion is right, I am going to hell...

Author Topic: No matter which religion is right, I am going to hell...
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I drink alcohol and coffee, so straight to mormon hell.

I love bacon, so straight to jewish hell.

I have never been baptized in the holy spirit and born again, so straight to born again christian hell.

Alcohol and pork sends me right to islam hell.

Alcohol and dancing sends me right to baptist hell.

Contraception sends me right to catholic hell.

I certainly hope that none of the religions that believe in hell are right.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
popatr
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for popatr   Email popatr         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash,

Mormons don't believe in hell in the classic sense.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
or a sense of humor in the classic sense.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Mormons also don't believe that anybody who isn't a Mormon is forbidden from drinking alcohol and coffee. That commandment is for members only.

But you might go to "Mormon hell" for not being a Mormon. [Big Grin] <-- my first smilie

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, If there is a hell and if any religion is right about who is going there, I expect hell will be populated with a bunch of really cool, interesting and outrageous individuals and will probably be far more fun than heven. [Evil]
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just hoping there IS no hell, otherwise I'm screwed six ways from sunday. [Smile]
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you done anything to offend the Pagan Gods?
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
If he had, he'd already have been struck by lightning.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

See, then, the Fields of Elysium are for you!

Come see the well manicured greens, the decadent buffets, and, as always, those fun and entertaining Muses!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're willing to shoot arrows into the sky whenever rain clouds appear, you can come hang out with me.

Wait. You live in the Pacific NW. I'm pretty cool to hang out with, but that'd be a lot of work.

::pictures the lizard man walking around with three quivers of arrows everywhere he goes::

Then again, it might be fun for you. [Dont Know]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of that one Rowan Atkinson sketch.

quote:
Hello, nice to see you all again.

As the more perceptive of you have probably realised by now - this is hell, and I am the Devil. Goodevening. You can call me Toby, if you like - we try and keep things informal down here, as well as infernal...

Right, let's split you up then.

Can you all hear me?
CAN YOU HEAR ME AT THE RACK?

Off we go...

Murderers, over here. Looters and pillagers - over there please, thieves if you could join them, and BANKMANAGERS.

Fornicators, if you could step forward - My God there are a lot of you. Could I split you up into adulterers and the rest? Adulterers if you could just form a line in front of that small guillotine there.

AMERICANS, are you here? I'm sorry about this, apparently God had some fracas with your founding fathers and damned the entire race into perpetuity. He sends particular condolences to the Mormons who He realises put in a lot of work. The Iranians, I'm afraid, couldn't be with us - someone's been holding them in purgatory for the last nine months...

Atheists, over here please. You must be feeling a right bunch of charlies.

Christians, ah yes, I'm afraid the Jews were right.

Moonies, maniacs, marmite eaters, male models, masochists, mass murderers and masseurs, if you could take a pew at the back - with the Methodists that is...

Everyone who saw Monty Pythons' "Life Of Brian", I'm afraid He can't take a joke after all...

Hee hee hee
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you should hope that Judaism is right because we don't believe in Hell period.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash, my wife and I will be waiting for you with a bottle of Herradura Aņejo. And barbecue.

See you in hell, buddy.

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

When I was young, I always thought it would be prudent for people to believe in the strictest religion there is. That way, in a worst-case scenario, at least they'd avoid the hottest hell.

If that logic works, I guess I should call up Jack Chick and find out more...

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Hell is a silly concept.

Any God who eternally tortures people's souls forever for the simple crime of not believing in him is not worthy of my worship.

"Hey Phil, I am now going to sentence you to an eternity of eternal torment because you didn't believe in me."

"If it was that big a deal to you, why didn't you give a freaking sign or some sort of evidence?"

"I don't work that way. You're supposed to turn off your brain and accept the faith of others because they tell you its the truth."

"Screw you then, off to hell I go..."

[ August 29, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Larry Niven.

When describing his good friend and often collaborator Jerry Pournelle, he said, "When I see him in hell, I expect we will immediately begin planning our escape."

David, do you think they have good tequila in hell? Or does Satan sip at a glass of Del Dueno while forcing you to ingest gallons of five dollar a bottle HRD brand?

Now THAT would be hell.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I love the quote from Return to Me when Grace's Grandpa is talking to Wally:
quote:
Marty: You're gonna be a long time in purgatory, you are.

Wally: I'll be among friends.

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, guys...it ain't gonna work. You're all GOIN' TA HELL!!! [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh]

And there ain't no gettin' out, neither.

*plays the appropriate role assigned him by stereotype*

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

- posted      Profile for Deirdre   Email Deirdre         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie: I love that sketch. Rowan Atkinson rules.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
nfl is right, we don't believe in Hell, it's more similar to Purgatory than anything else.

Oh, and just as the Mormons don't expect non-members to abstain from coffee or alcohol, only Jews are expected to keep kosher. Actually, the only things non-Jews (I would say gentiles, but present company might take exception [Wink] ) are expected to keep are the Seven Noachide Laws.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Slash, Niven and Pournelle collaberated on a wonderful novel called Inferno which was about a science fiction author escaping from hell.

Great fun, check it out!

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
The world needs more smart Rowan Atkinson sketches, not fewer.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

The world needs more Dudley Moore and Peter Cook movies, but I guess we're out of luck there too!
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Ralphie is going to hell too.

I expect that part of my duties in hell will be to give her endless monkey bumps.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Wait... am I in hell right now?

Oh shi

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deirdre
Member # 4200

If Slash gets to spend his time in hell giving Ralphie monkey bumps, I say I should get to spend it sipping tea and reading novels in a comfy chair.
Posts: 1046 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Yes. Because the novels you would select to read are exactly my definition of hell.

"Another long winded russian author without even a scrap of interesting plot? Sure!"

BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! This whole conversation is why I believe in reincarnation. Don't you crazy believers-in-hell wish you were me? [Laugh] [Evil Laugh]
[Taunt]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I remember a weird little show I saw once - I think it was on the Outer Limits or something similar. It's where this hippie dies and finds himself in a room full of old people having a dance with good old time wholesome music... the whole premise being that while they're in Heaven, he's in Hell. Hilarious.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of a Simpsons episode where everyone had visions of their own personal heaven.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in staying alive. Thats my plan.

Can you have someone put that on my headstone?

"He decided to stay alive forever...and it killed him"

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Slashy, I thought we had this all planned out. You are going to the telestial kingdom for being a decent lizardman and all in this life even if rather unwashed and unbaptized and so on. I will be there too or if something changes and I make it up higher then I'm coming down to visit you. You promised to teach me how to play D&D, remember? Don't think you get out of it that easily! I think outer darkness is the only place you could hide from me but I know you would never choose there. The amenities are just not up to snuff out that direction.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhineasNigellus
Member # 5574

- posted      Profile for PhineasNigellus   Email PhineasNigellus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well If we are all going to Hell, then we can all have one Hell of a party down there. Hardy har har.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Not hardly, Belladonna. I wouldn't dare... [Wink]
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on which religion you follow, Belladonna, reincarnation IS hell.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Slashy, I already told you, Jews don't care whether or not non-Jews keep kosher. [Razz]

Only Jews are expected to keep kosher, as rivka said. [Smile]

And we don't really believe in Hell the way Christians do.

The stock Jewish joke is that the Jews will take up a collection to air-condition hell. [Razz]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
"Heaven for climate, hell for company." -- James M. Barrie

"A perpetual holiday is a good working definition of hell." -- George Bernard Shaw

"Good Americans, when they die, go to Paris." -- Thomas G. Appleton

". . . when bad Americans die, they go to America." -- Oscar Wilde

"There may be some doubt about hell beyond the grave but there is no doubt about there being one on this side of it." -- Ed Howe

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell -- you see, I have friends in both places." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, that Rowan Atkinson sketch is hilarious! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Heaven for climate, hell for company." -- James M. Barrie

WHat The Devil???? That's Mark Twain. Who the heck is James M. Barrie?
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

As far as I can tell, Twain's (1835-1910) quote was actually, "Heaven for climate, hell for society," and Barrie (1860-1937), who wrote Peter Pan, said, "Heaven for climate, hell for company."

Now, it's entirely possible one was plagerizing the other or that only one said one of those phrases and an alternate version was ascribed to the other. I don't have any particular interest in sorting it all out though...

[ August 31, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

You check your sources, Godric, or you get out! [Mad]
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I just think it's convenient that we have these nifty little smilies.
[Evil] [Evil Laugh] Tee-hee. I think I'll figure out the whole heaven/hell thing AFTER I'm gone. Much less unnecessary stress that way.

Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Hell is a silly concept.

Any God who eternally tortures people's souls forever for the simple crime of not believing in him is not worthy of my worship.

ITA, Xav.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember a weird little show I saw once - I think it was on the Outer Limits or something similar. It's where this hippie dies and finds himself in a room full of old people having a dance with good old time wholesome music... the whole premise being that while they're in Heaven, he's in Hell. Hilarious.
That was Twilight Zone thank-you very much! [Wink] [Big Grin]

And I refuse to live in a universe where Slashy goes to Hell. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Ralphie, I hope that was a joke...
Deirdre
Member # 4200

Of course it was a joke, silly.

Now go unpack your bags.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.