FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Born before 1985? Then get your dentures. We are now very OLD. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Born before 1985? Then get your dentures. We are now very OLD.
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
i found this posted on another website's forum.

"I had no idea I was old?!?!

AND HERE'S PROOF:

Every year Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin publishes what it calls "The Mindset List"--fun facts and figures about the incoming crop of freshmen so professors will be able to relate to their new students.
Beloit says the list is a reminder that the world view of today's new college students is significantly different from the intellectual framework of those students who entered only a few years earlier. Put another way, it's a reminder that you are getting on in years. One of the list's creators is Beloit professor Tom McBride, who quips, "It is an alert for those of us who may be suffering from hardening of the references." And there's no medicine for this! So to better understand how the class of 2007 thinks, most of whom were born in 1985, read this and feel your age:

1. The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1985.
2. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.
3. They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
4. There has been only one pope in their lifetime.
5. They were 10 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.
6. They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up on takeoff.
7. Tiananmen Square means nothing to them.
8. Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
9. Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.
10. The statement "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. (They have never owned a record player.)
11. They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
12. They may have never heard of an 8-track tape. The compact disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
13. They have always had an answering machine.
14. Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV.
15. They have always had cable.
16. There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what Beta was.
17. They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
18. They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is or know about the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!" commercial.
19. They were born the year that Walkman was introduced by Sony.
20. Roller skating has always meant inline for them.
21. Michael Jackson has always been white.
22. Jay Leno has always been on "The Tonight Show."
23. They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
24. Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
25. They have never seen Larry Bird play.
26. They never took a swim and thought about "Jaws."
27. The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as World War I, World War II, and the Civil War.
28. They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.
29. They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

30. They don't know who Mork was or where he was from. (The correct answer, by the way, is Ork.)
31. They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel," or "De plane, de plane!"
32. They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was.
33. Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not bands.
34. There has always been MTV.
They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter"

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let me get my spectacles on and try to remember....

35. They don't know what "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!" or, "That's a one spicy-a meat-a-ball" means.

Perhaps that's a good thing... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel very old now.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

36. They don't remember 'Now you know, and knowing is half the battle' but 'Its morphin time!' holds a special place in their hearts.
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*hobbles into thread*

Harumph!

*leaves*

[aside] Some of us have used cloth diapers within the last few years, you know. [/aside]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
If people born before 1985 need to get out their dentures, makes me wonder where I should be already! [Eek!] (And I would like to point out that my 80-yr-old mother still has all her own teeth.)

Hmmm. I could take issue with some of these. [Wink]

*They have always had an answering machine.

Believe it or not, even today, not everyone has an answering machine.

*...nor have they seen a black and white TV.

My kids have. I still have a small, portable black and white TV that my mom got as a bank promotion...before 1985! [ROFL]

*They have always had cable.

We have never had cable. But I do remember when cable TV was primarily for people in less metropolitan or rural areas who could only get 2 stations without it. [Big Grin]

*They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is...

There are many who still use cloth baby diapers, for environmental and health reason...but even those people will often use disposables for traveling.

*Roller skating has always meant inline for them.

You can still get the "other type" of rollerskates at skating rinks - some of them, anyway.

*Michael Jackson has always been white.

ROFL. No further comment about that one. [ROFL]

*Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

I still make popcorn the old-fasioned way, on the stove top. I like the way it comes out that way better, though microwaving is undoubtedly easier. Most of the microwave popcorns come with additives I prefer to avoid, however.

*They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

I still wear hard contact lenses.

*They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Hmm, I am pretty sure that my kids know that a computer keyboard was derived from the layout of a typewriter keyboard...And we still have 2 old typewriters in the house, one a mechanical type. [Razz]

Guess I am just anachronistic. [Big Grin]

But the point is that my kids, who were both born after 1985, have been exposed to this stuff. [Razz]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... even though I may not personally remember some of the events, doesn't mean I haven't seen or heard about them.

Some of these are more opinionated than others and not entirely facts.

quote:

Tiananmen Square means nothing to them.

quote:

The statement "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. (They have never owned a record player.)

quote:

They have always had an answering machine.

quote:

They have always had cable.

quote:

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

quote:

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

quote:

They never took a swim and thought about "Jaws."

quote:

They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

quote:

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

Just to name a few that I know don't apply to my friends and myself.

This guy should have reworded the statements.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
This one was worded a bit odd. I think last year's was done much better.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
odouls, I thought you wrote, "it's morphine time!", and I was going to question what the heck kids are growing up with these days if that's what replaced G.I. Joe.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to point out that the events that they are associating are inconsistant.

I was born in 82 and in some cases recall quite a few of those things, and others i don't recall.

Example:

Fall of the USSR: 1991
Iraq invades Kuwait: 1990

I was 9 and 8 respectively.

However, i dont' ever recall the tonight show before leno, i have seen larry bird play, and i can recall having a black & white tv, and no remote control.

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

[ROFL]
yes indeed, Morphine laden Teletubbies is what replaced Gi Joe

odouls268
Member # 2145

Now youve gotta remember, this is a 'mindset' list. It's not neccesarily concerned with the facts, but how today's college freshman recall (or do not recall) them.
Ela
Member # 1365

Hmm, my computer couldn't load last year's, Jeni, but I remember getting it as an email forward and do remember it being better than this one. [Smile]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Most students entering college this fall were born in 1984.

1. A Southerner has always been President of the United States.

2. Richard Burton, Ricky Nelson and Truman Capote have always been dead.

3. South Africa's official policy of apartheid has not existed during their lifetime.

4. Cars have always had eye-level rear stop lights, CD players, and air bags.

5. We have always been able to choose our long distance carriers.

6. Weather reports have always been available 24-hours a day on television.

7. The "evil empire" has moved from Moscow to a setting in some distant galaxy.

8. "Big Brother" is merely a television show.

9. Cyberspace has always existed.

10. Bruce Springsteen's new hit, Born in the USA, could have been played to celebrate their birth.

11. Barbie has always had a job.

12. Telephone bills have always been totally incomprehensible.

13. Prom dresses have always come in basic black.

14. A "Hair Band" is some sort of fashion accessory.

15. George Foreman has always been a barbecue grill salesman

16. Afghanistan has always been a front page story.

17. There has always been an heir to the heir to the British throne.

18. They have no recollection of Connie Chung or Geraldo Rivera as serious journalists.

19. Peter Jennings, Dan Rather, and Tom Brokaw have always anchored the evening news.

20. China has always been a market-based reforming regime.

21. The United States has always been trying to put nuclear waste in Nevada.

22. The U.S. and the Soviets have always been partners in space.

23. Mrs. Fields' cookies and Swatch watches have always been favorites.

24. Nicolas Cage, Daryll Hannah, Eddie Murphy, and John Malkovich made their first major film impressions the year they were born.

25. The GM Saturn has always been on the road.

26. The "Fab Four" are not a male rock group, but four women enjoying "Sex and the City."

27. Fox has always been a television network choice.

28. Males do not carry a handkerchief in a back pocket.

29. This generation has never wanted to "be a Pepper too."

30. Ozzy's lifestyle has nothing to do with the Nelson family.

31. Women have always had tattoos.

32. Vanessa Williams and Madonna are aging singers.

33. Perrier has always come in flavors.

34. Cherry Coke has always come in cans.

35. A "hotline" is a consumer service rather than a phone used to avoid accidental nuclear war.

36. The drug "ecstasy" has always been around.

37. Genetic testing and DNA screening have always been available.

38. Electronic filing of federal income taxes has always been an option.

39. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) has always been available to doctors.

40. Trivial Pursuit may have been played by their parents the night before they were born.

41. The U.S. has always maintained that it has a "clear right to use force against terrorism."

42. The drinking age has always been 21 throughout the country.

43. Women have always been members of the Jaycees.

44. The center of chic has shifted from Studio 54 to Liza's living room, live!

45. Julian Lennon had his only hit the year they were born.

46. Sylvan Learning Centers have always been an after-school option.

47. Hip-hop and rap have always been popular musical forms.

48. They grew up in minivans.

49. Scientists have always recognized the impact of acid rain.

50. The Coen Brothers have always been making films.

And in 1984, perhaps it was "Too Soon to Tell"...

* Technology analysts questioned the need for briefcase-sized computers.

* The National Children and Youth Fitness Study announced that children were overweight and underactive.

* A CPA organization heralded that computerized audit systems were being used to avoid errors and they were doing much better at spotting mistakes and providing internal audit controls.

* Film critics declared that George Lucas was looking for new directions because Star Wars interest was waning.

* Videotape technology was said to be killing the film industry and slowing cable network development.

* Analysts stated there was no market for Direct Broadcast Satellite systems.

* The U.S. Supreme Court declared sleeping to be a form of free speech.

[Smile]

[ September 02, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Maybe if they start steering back away from the "They" statements...
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, almost as funny today as when I posted it last year . . .

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

I miss the days of Napster dearly. Not neccesarily the Napster itself, but i remember when Napster was doing well, all my college memories of that period are good. Lots of fun to be had back then. These days...not so much.
Jeni
Member # 1454

Icarus: That time was almost as funny as when I posted it the year before. [Razz]
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was born in 1956, so I guess that makes me a relic. Fine with me.

But all of this, the fact that kids today don't remember so much because they weren't here, is why I am currently in process of writing about the world since I was born. It fascinates me how much the world has changed - and how much it hasn't changed - since I was born.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
1956?!?!?!

[Eek!]

Dang!

You're old!!

I mean . . .

[Eek!]

OLD!!

Really old!

2003 - 1956 . . . I can't even subtract that high!

[Eek!]

Are you, like, in a nursing home?

That's so old!!

[Eek!]

[Laugh]

[Eek!]

[Taunt]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I, having been born in 1984, have contention with only two of these, aside from the history which I might know a bit better than my peers.
quote:

I would just like to point out that there was a Pac-man game at the laundry mat that we loved to play while mom was doing laundry, and I've heard of pong, my mom told me about it once.
quote:
18. They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is or know about the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!" commercial
The first of these is wrong. My baby brother wore cloth diapers and I remember them from when I was four, and the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!" Is a timeless quote that when said even today around a group born in '84 or '85 will result in gales of laughter. It was the best joke around for years. Better than any potty humor or knock-knock jokes. The rest of them are pretty much true, though I know a bit about them, but I honestly have never heard of "Beta" and am completely confused by the J.R. reference.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If people born before 1985 need to get out their dentures, makes me wonder where I should be already! (And I would like to point out that my 80-yr-old mother still has all her own teeth.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, so does my 80-year-old grandmother! oh wait.

LOL, Adam. [Big Grin]

**Ela**

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Man alive, I feel old. Both lists make me feel old, actually, even though one of them was written for my birth year.

It's sad/funny how few people I know here at school who would be able to identify [with] most of the items on either of those lists.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Well, I was born in 1956, so I guess that makes me a relic. Fine with me.
Finally, another ancient relic on the forum. [Wink] [Wave] [ROFL]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a better one would be:

Beta used to be a video tape choice, now its a stage in software development that allows kids to play unfinished games for free.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm 18 and not only have I heard of pong, I wrote my own pong game! [Big Grin] [Cool] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

quote:
Beta. Pfff! What good is it? It's not compatible with my system....
We now return you to the science fiction classic, Amazon Women on the Moon . [Big Grin]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
<rolls wheelchair through thread without comment>
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

quote:
4. There has been only one pope in their lifetime.
So has Mrs. Pope.

[Eek!] [Eek!] Maybe I shouldn't post that... [Eek!] [Eek!]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Monogamy is underrated. Thanks for that, Hobbes.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
How I know I've gotten really old:
  • I walked past a girl on campus today that I used to babysit!
  • My roommates were in elementary school when Ace of Base was big.
  • My baby sister just got her drivers' license.
This is all very freaky, folks.

[ September 02, 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Or to make some of the oldies on this forum feel really old, I'm now in college! [Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
This year's high school seniors were born when I was a senior.
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. You ARE old! [Big Grin] *ducks*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly! I was born in 1986, and not only do I know how to use a typewriter, I used one until about five years ago. (a mechanical one, too!)

I also know about cloth diapers (we use them to mop up all the time) and my roller skating experiences have all been the old type.

I grew up with four channels on tv.

However, the Cold War is ancient History. [Smile]

I'm so very nearly old... [Roll Eyes]

I'd better start making my cane now.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also know about cloth diapers (we use them to mop up all the time)
yes, but has anyone in your lifetime ever used them as a diaper? [Wink]

[ September 02, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
yes, but has anyone in your lifetime ever used them as a diaper?

My mother used them for my elder brother (born 1982). She says it scarred it for her life. She went to disposable diapers and never looked back. [Smile]

But we may have used them in the absence of anything else, and I've used them on dollies. [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
quote:
I also know about cloth diapers (we use them to mop up all the time)

yes, but has anyone in your lifetime ever used them as a diaper?

Yes. People still use them. [Smile]

**Ela**

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Some babies are allergic to disposable diapers, so cloth are still in use today.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1985.
I was born in 1987
quote:
10. The statement "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. (They have never owned a record player.)
Actually, for a very long time we played records (we had a christmas chipmunks album that was a favorite) and still own the record player.

quote:
My Dad talked about making a pong game a few times...

quote:
15. They have always had cable.
I wish!

quote:
18. They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is or know about the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!" commercial.
I wore cloth baby diapers I think.

quote:
20. Roller skating has always meant inline for them.
I used to have roller skates... they were yellow.

quote:
[ROFL]

quote:
29. They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
Some of my friends wear hard contact lenses...

quote:
They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter"
We had one of those too. It was in the "office" (read: linen closet) and I wrote stories on it.

My conclusion: Either I'm really cultured, that list should be more general or say "most of them" instead of "they" or I wasn't really born when my parents say I was...

Fun list though. [Smile]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in '77.

Feels old.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in '78, feels younger than Ralphie. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Saw Talking Heads in '77.

Who's calcified now? [Cool]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Born in '68, and this list definitely makes me feel old. I graduated *high school* in '86.

This whole thing about Hinkley now going around probably doesn't mean much to those born after 84.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*feels young*
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

As I head for old-fartdom.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Here is my definitive age quiz. (You must answer from memory, no google)

1. Who was Mr. Hooper?
2. When was John Lennon Shot?
3. What was check point charlie?
4. Why was it hard to recognize "charlie"?
5. What happened to John Hinkley?
6. Who was the lead singer for the Police?
7. Who is Eric Heiden?
8. What was the MX missile controversy?
9. What was Mikhail Gorbachev's distinguishing feature?
10. What was the big deal about the 1992 Olympic Dream Team?
11. What were SALT and START?
12. How many medals did the US win in the 1980 Summer Olympics?
13. What was the Peacock Throne?
14. During the summer of 1979, why did it matter if you had an odd or an even license plate number?
15. Who did Nastassja Kinski pose with in her most famous picture?
16. What was Ronald Reagan’s key campaign promise in 1980?
17. What cabinet level department was started by Jimmy Carter?
18. Who was “the world’s most eligible bachelor”?
19. Who ran against Reagan in his second election?
20. What happened to Challenger?

Scoring:

20: Old duffer and/or trivia king
19-15: Been around long enough to know better.
10-15: Mature or atleast well read.
6-10: Wet behind the ears or you've lived in a closet
0 - 5: Either you are just a babe or senility has set in.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Who was Mr. Hooper? - teacher of Head of the Class?
2. When was John Lennon Shot? 1981
3. What was check point charlie? the passing point through the Berlin wall
4. Why was it hard to recognize "charlie"?
5. What happened to John Hinkley? He's in jail for shooting Reagan.
6. Who was the lead singer for the Police? Sting
7. Who is Eric Heiden?
8. What was the MX missile controversy?
9. What was Mikhail Gorbachev's distinguishing feature? the birthmark on his forehead
10. What was the big deal about the 1992 Olympic Dream Team? first B-ball team made of professionals
11. What were SALT and START? disarmament treaties
12. How many medals did the US win in the 1980 Summer Olympics? zero - we boycotted because it was in Moscow
13. What was the Peacock Throne?
14. During the summer of 1979, why did it matter if you had an odd or an even license plate number? It determined what day you were allowed to buy gas.
15. Who did Nastassja Kinski pose with in her most famous picture?
16. What was Ronald Reagan’s key campaign promise in 1980? You will be better off in four years by me cutting taxes.
17. What cabinet level department was started by Jimmy Carter? Education.
18. Who was “the world’s most eligible bachelor”? JFK, Jr.
19. Who ran against Reagan in his second election? Walter Mondale
20. What happened to Challenger? Blew up on takeoff.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
My parents did not buy a TV until Mike and I were both in college.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Katherina: You scored 10/20. I won't give the correct answers yet in case anyone else wants to try.

(Woops, I miss counted).

[ September 02, 2003, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.