FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Someone with video card driver experience please help

Author Topic: Someone with video card driver experience please help
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying to install a new video driver from NVIDIA onto my system because a new game I bought requires it. However, even when I go through the wizard and install it, I check it on the display tab of the dxdiag and it's still the old driver. Can someone please help me with this? I called microsoft tech support, who helped me with this issue a few months ago before I formatted, and now they all claim it is a 3rd party software issue and they all hang up on me.
Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
My guesses are as follows:

Sometimes you actually have to remove the old drivers before installing the new one. As in, don't install the new ones before actually going into the device manager and removing the old video card drivers.

or

Check device manager and make sure that you don't have two instances of the video card, one for each driver.

or

You might already have the newest drivers.

or

Try going into safe mode and checking to see what drivers are installed there. It's odd,but sometimes you can see older versions of devices listed in safe mode.

or

You might have to go in and manually delete the .inf and .dll files that your old video card drivers use manually.

or

This may not only be a driver issue, but a directx bind issue. As in, the directx files are still pointing to the old video card drivers. Many games suggest reinstalling directx after installing a new video card or new video card drivers.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
HOW do I remove the old ones???
Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, to be absolutely at your safest, make sure your reboot after each change you make to your driver configuration.

Really, the way I'd do it would be to delete the current driver completely, reboot (using standard VGA drivers), install the new driver, and then reboot again.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
What is your OS?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

XP, I can see the driver version on my dx diag display, but every time I try to upgrade, change or remove the old one, nothing happens. Access for removing the old one is blocked. [Frown]

Microsoft support for game: "This is a 3rd party software/hardware problem, contact your manufacturer."

Manufacturer support: "This is a software problem, contact microsoft."
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Few questions:
What video card do you have? brand, model, etc
Does it want you to install new video card drivers, or a new DirectX driver?
What game?
Satyagraha

[ September 03, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Try using a driver removing program like Nvidia File Remover. While they are third party software, and you should use them at your own risk, they do tend to help clean things up a little bit.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.