FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bob buys a house and becomes a Texan (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bob buys a house and becomes a Texan
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you guys have to fly the Oklhoma state flag over your capital for a week
Really? That's hilarious! [Smile] What a great custom - if you're gonna care, you might as well care in style. I didn't go to college in Texas, so I think I missed out on the accompanying insanity.

College football might be close, but I don't think anything can compare to high school football here.

If I'd stayed in Texas, this would be my stadium.

(Woah! There is another Texas Bob!)

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say congratz, but its Texas.

Would Sympathies be better?

Sorry, Texas and I don't get along. The only time my luggage was lost by an airline--Texas. Most car trouble--traveling through Texas. Most boring trip I took with my parents--traveling through Texas. Most annoying pro-football fans--Texas Cowboys. Most annoying relatives (distant)-- moved to Texas and became most annoying pro-football fans.

I shouldn't complain, any state that convinces a large segment of their politicians to flee to another state must be doing something right.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there is also a side bet between the governors on who provides the steaks at their Governor's barbque as well.

I'll do some googling to find the specifics.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most annoying pro-football fans--Texas Cowboys.
Um, no. That would be New England. And the most obnoxious pro-football fans would be Philadelphia.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.state.ok.us/osfdocs/nr21397a.html
http://www.ardmoreite.com/stories/112602/new_texas_gov.shtml
http://www.state.ok.us/osfdocs/nr10997.html

I can't find specifics on the flag thing. Maybe it is just a legend.

(not TX... but another governors bet)
http://www.ardmoreite.com/stories/123101/spo_cottonbowl.shtml

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
The house sounds great!
When are you moving in?

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ophelia...earliest would be the week of September 22nd. That's assuming everything goes smoothly and the appraisal comes in on time.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

PS is Lavalamp jealous of Kit Kat Clock yet, or do they have something going on.

Lavalamp seemed the type to be looking for a little.....swinging tail.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, in a house that old, make sure the plumbing is thoroughly inspected, including all the water lines located under the crawl space (if there is one.)

Will you be on a sewer system? A lot of old systems were clay pipes, which begin to break down and then tree roots grow through the pipe. Eventually the roots clog up the pipe and your sewer backs up.

This is not an uncommon thing in older houses - we probably see 4 or 5 cases of roots in pipes a week. Of course, I don't know Texas that well, I guess you may not even have the same problems, but I would check out the plumbing and ask if the sewer lines have ever been replaced and how recently.

A replacement sewer is very expensive, we've never done one for less than $2000, and some have been over $10,000.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
How long can a discussion of obnoxious and/or annoying pro football fans go on without someone mentioning either Oakland or Pittsburgh? . . . Uh, not that much longer, I guess.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, you made the fatal mistake of not moving to Colorado or Indiana. Jeez, what were you thinking? : [Hail] Bob [Hail]

[Big Grin] [Cool] [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle,

Thanks! As it happens, I have the primary inspection taking place today. There are additional ones I've asked for (chimney & electrical). But the structural, plumbing, roof and HVAC are supposed to happen today.

I'll make sure to ask about sewer pipes.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's something people don't think about, I mean most folks will think of having the plumbing checked so that every fixture works, but who asks about sewer pipes?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Seems like a waste.
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in Nacogdoches, Tx. That's about 3 hours from Bryan, I think.

Where in the Midwest is your business trip in November, Bob?

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those states are simply wacky to actually count.
Hey! *thwap!*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh no... there's nothing more embarassing than a quoted grammatical error that you don't notice until its quoted.

[Razz] Don't shoot the messenger.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

quote:
Seems like a waste.
[ROFL]

[ September 04, 2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The inspections are done. I don't have the reports yet, but there's not much that was at all worrying. Some odd things that the previous owner did with extension cords are now classified as miracles by the local church. Miracles that no-one was hurt. E.g. using speaker wire connectors with 120V AC fixtures. LOL!

But that's easily undone.

No termites. Negligible settling for a slab house that's 40 years old.

The reports will sound dire because they have to cover their butts, but both inspectors said there wasn't anything that had to be fixed right NOW that would cost more than a few bucks.

The HVAC unit will need replacing, but I expected that. We may be able to get the prior owners to pay for it or at least share partial costs based on what the inspection says.

ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
See? I told you, Bob-and-Texas sounds good.

He, isn't there anybody going to ask for an invitation to his housewarming party? I would love to come. How is Texas in wintertime?

Anyway, invitation or not, I give you a globe to put on your desk as a present. I mean, all wise things come in three. You already have The Light (Lavalamp), The Image of God (Posable Man), so I just thought this was missing.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I sent Bob an e-mail to the address in his profile, but haven't gotten an answer. Bob - will that e-mail address work?
Duragon C. Mikado
Member # 2815

- posted      Profile for Duragon C. Mikado   Email Duragon C. Mikado         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Bob, your state tax dollars will now go to help fund the most vaunted justice system in the US, and some of the greatest optional pollution standards there are. [Razz]

In all honesty I can't imagine why anyone would want to move TO Texas. Cheap real-estate and property tax?

Posts: 622 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Texas is turning out to be much better than I expected. I'm going to really like it here.

Regarding the justice system here, I'm beginning to form an opinion that the reason Texans use the death penalty so readily is that they really believe in the social contract. Individual responsibility and freedom is a big deal here. And if you deliberately violate that social contract, you are knowingly setting yourself outside the community. And then you are dead to them.

Crime is not just something to be accommodated at a particular level. Every crime is an attack on the idea that Texans are able to manage their own affairs with mutual respect and without government interference.

So, you become a criminal, you should leave or face the consequences.

This is not some namby-pamby Northern state with lip-service ideas about the nobility of all men. This is a place where adults in the community are expected to know how to behave and by God they better play by the rules everyone knows.

Sort of like having a giant homeowners' association and a state full of nosey neighbors.

[Big Grin]

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Good news about the house, Bob. Your bank will probably want it anyway, but be sure you have a least a 50 year title search done, with title insurance. Also get a survey if it hasn't been surveyed in oh, 5 years. Many banks are blowing off surveys nowadays and riding on title insurance, but it doesn't protect you completely. I surveyed for 4 years and saw plenty of survey errors, some that cost land owners good money to patch up.
quote:
Texans kid around a lot, though. So sometimes it hard to figure out when they are just kidding or when they are dead serious.
NOTE TO ALL: Texans NEVER kid about Texas.

You got that right. Never make Texas jokes without a clear line of retreat.

My step-father and step-brothers are Texans, and they are masters at dead-pan humor. I wish I could keep a straight face like them. With your sense of humor, I'm sure you'll fit right in after adjusting.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Excellent. The assimilation is nearing completion.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Evil]
katharina
Member # 827

Makes sense why W is so fanatic about loyalty, doesn't it? There are people who can be trusted, and there are people who can't, and you keep around you the people who can be trusted. Very simple.

No hard feelings, but no vipers stay in camp. It means that you know in whom you may trust. Hard on mistakes, but restitution is possible. What isn't possible is pride in infractions.

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bob should come down to one of the Rice football games this season. Not because of the games, but because I think he would really enjoy our half-time shows. The MOB has a very hatrackian sense of humor. Of course, being in the shows, I'm rather biased.

Actually, all the Dallas-area folks should come to the Rice/SMU game November 15. As our big trip of the season, it should be our best script (although it will have the least impressive props).

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

The MOB soujnds great!!!

Count me in!

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in Texas, Bob. Your house sounds like it will be nice. Be sure to post some pictures once you get settled.

We here in Florida will miss you...

***Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.