FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » After 33 years, I've finally been adopted. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: After 33 years, I've finally been adopted.
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, kind of.

Most of you know my story. In a nutshell, I grew up an orphan. Not an orphan like Oliver or Annie, because I never lacked people to take care of me in one way or another, but in the same breath, I was never really taken in as someone's own. Never had a father that really cared for me, even though my own died at age seven. My mom was a wonderful woman whom I miss severely, yet she died when I was ten.

From the age of ten until I got married at 22 years of age, I really missed not having loving, caring parents. Parents that I could call my own. That looked out for my best interests, who loved me as much as they loved their own children.

It was really hard during my freshman year of college. I think that was the first time I really understood that I was at a distinct disadvantage without parents to look after me, care about me and make sure I was walking the straight and narrow. Up until that time I always thought it was kinda cool to be able to do whatever I wanted.

That got old real quick.

During my mission it was equally hard. While the missionary work kept me busy, the lack of correspondence with a parental figure really frustrated me. You don't realize how much parents do for you until you don't have them there to do it for you. Especially when you live on the other side of the world.

After I got married, I pretty much accepted that I would never have living parents in my life and began to move on. I was ok with it. I became numb to it.

For those of you who know Head Ditch Digger, aka Scott Craner, we've always grown up kind of close. Our birthdays are only ten days apart, and we kinda look alike, and like the same things.

I always loved his mother and father, my Aunt Penny and Uncle Greg. I always begrudged Scott and his cousins a little for having such a perfect life while mine was so messed up, but knew I was forever helpless to have it any other way.

Yet after Karli and I got married, Aunt Penny always made a habit of inviting us over for Sunday dinner. We were reticent at first, thinking we were getting in the way, or impeding on their family time, or whatever.

It took a few years of persuasion by Penny to get over this.

When our kids started showing up, Penny was quick to treat them as her own grandchildren. Pretty soon, they were calling my cousins Aunt and Uncle.

Not long after that, Penny was including my children in her annual birthday and Christmas budgets.

At the same time, I started to understand how incredibly cool it was to have parents who cared about you and your family. I was amazed by the sense of kindness and hospitality. I was estatic to see my children not having to go through the same things I endured.

Penny and Greg soon included us in all family functions and were genuinely saddened when we couldn't show up.

All of a sudden I was a member of a family.

Last year I had a heart to heart with Scott sisters, who said Penny wanted my kids to call her Grandma and Greg, Grandpa.

That change was implemented quite easily. My kids always wondered why they weren't calling her grandma anyway.

Last Friday, was the clincher, however.

While at dinner to celebrate the safe return of Scott's little brother from his mission, Greg announced that after talking to all of his seven kids, that everyone had reached a unanimous decision that my family be adopted into theirs, with all the rights, priveleges etc, that goes with it.

I was stunned. Completely stunned. It was a complete shock to know someone loved me and my family enough to incorporate us into their own.

I stumbled for words, but after subsequent talks afterwords with Penny and Greg, I am proud to consider myself a Craner.

And to seal the deal, I now call Penny and Greg, Mom and Dad.

It's been almost a week later, and I'm still in shock. Such generosity has never been experienced in my life. I'm a very lucky man.

[Smile]

[ September 04, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, that's so awesome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
::wipes a tear from eye::

That is so sweet. I'm really happy for you.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(wipes eyes) Man, Pat, you made me cry. Not like it's hard, but still. That's so, so great.

(joy)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

I'm not trying to make people cry, I'm trying to show off why I'm so happy.

[Smile]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - Pat.

What a wonderful, wonderful thing to happen. I'm so thrilled for you!

The Craner's sound like good people to me. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
that is so nice!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What a wonderful thing!! I'm so glad to hear that there are wonderful people left in the world. [Smile]

[Group Hug]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwwwwwwww... [Cry]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Only because they got to you first, sweetie.

I'm SO happy for you, Pat. I know how much this must mean for you. When I got married, my parents (in front of all three hundred people at my wedding) presented my best friend Anna with a "certificate of adoption" because her family was so crippled. She bawled like a baby. [Smile]

They sound incredible. You guys both fortunate to have each other.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Tears of joy!

Very cool, Pat.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- misty-eyed

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got a little dust in my eye while i was reading your post, too. Funny, eh?

Good stuff, Pat. I'm very happy for you. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, that's wonderful.

My Aunt "adopted" me and my kids 7 years ago. It's amazing how much healing happens just because you know you're loved.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

How are you, Mrs. Ladydove? Long time, no read.

How's Mr. Dove doing?

Thanks to everyone who posted. Just don't hug me.

[No No]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm NOT THE ONLY ONE!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, that rocks. i'm happy for you.

Just one question.

Was "afterwords" an intentional pun?

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that is extremely cool. [Smile]

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, thanks for sharing that!
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Yo Ted. How's it going sir?

quote:
Was "afterwords" an intentional pun?
I'm lost here. Help me out.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, we're all doing very well.
We just got back from vacation (BTW- good vacations are never long enough [Smile] ) Paul and John swam, sailed or inner-tubed nearly every daylight hour. Jacob and I played and hung-out at Grandpa's house.

We've really enjoyed meeting so many people from the 'rack this year. We're looking forward to and hoping you and your family can visit in December [Smile]

Paul says, "Hi"

[ September 03, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
That is very cool.

So, ummmm. That's a lot of back allowance to ask for.

Of course, that's also a lot of chores you owe them.

Or are these things not retroactive? [Wink]

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Zal -- And I can't blame them for ruining my life, either.....

I can, however assure Penney that I was the easiest labor she ever had.

[ September 03, 2003, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

*is happy you're happy* [Smile]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
W3rd pat, werd.

quote:
I stumbled for words, but after subsequent talks afterwords with Penney and Greg, I am proud to consider myself a Craner.

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,

That has to be one of the most awesome things I have heard in a long while. Family is such a small word with a huge concept behind it. Thank you for increasing my faith in it. And a big ol' hat's off to your family for just being them [Hat] .

Family [Group Hug]

[ September 04, 2003, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: larisse ]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] That's so great! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

*refrains from hugging Pat* [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one of the best things I've heard in a while, Pat. I'm so happy for you! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, sweet! now i can make all sorts of yo' mamma jokes.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, tears in my eyes!

Congratulations!

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, that's fantastic! I misted up when I read this too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. Reading that and not being able to hug Pat hurts! That's great Pat! [Big Grin] *Healthy slap on back* [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Patrick - that made me cry. I'm so glad for you!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

quote:
It's amazing how much healing happens just because you know you're loved.
Amen. That's so cool!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

That's it, accept congradulations and its about time and they wouldn't risk loosing such a good thing and well, Wow.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, that is absolutely wonderful. It's so wonderful that I can't even think of a way to make fun of you, I'm just too happy for you. Congratulations, man.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
That is marvelous. I know many people don’t think you need parents once you become an “adult,” but I find myself appreciating mine more every year. I’m glad you finally have a good set.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Pat))))

Having my parents with me throughout my life, I can only imagine how much this means to you.

[Kiss]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, I'm sorry I missed this yesterday! That was beautiful. What a great family to have gotten involved with!

I hope you all the best in your new dynasty.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] [Group Hug]

Pat, that's absolutely fantastic!

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
When did you turn Jewish?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug] That's so sweet!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Psst Pat, It's Penny not Penney.

Just before we headed up to Utah for the renunion, I got a call from my sister telling me that I needed to call my dad. He wanted to do this but only if we all agreed. I called him back and reprimanded him for even thinking that I would have a problem with it.

Pat, you know the respect I have for you and your family. I am glad it is now "official".

The thing Pat did not say was when it was anounced he couldn't speak. He sat there astonished. My mother always thought she was to have eight children. They had tried to adobt many years ago. It did not happen. Now she knows why.

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Pat, thanks for sharing. [Smile]

Wonderful people, you and your family!

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Ya... I guess I should learn how to spell Mom's name correctly.

[Smile]

Thanks Scott.

You guys are all so nice. Thanks for the kind words, thoughts and wishes.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, that is the coolest! Congratulations on your new(ly official) family!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, you don't have to, Pat, you can just call her Mom.

[ September 04, 2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
That is very cool, Pat. I'm glad for you.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Cry] (how can you read that without finding the screen getting a little misty?!)

That's wonderful...!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.