FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Girly Thread, Part II: Seriously, Guys, Stay Out. Seriously. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Girly Thread, Part II: Seriously, Guys, Stay Out. Seriously.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I might try suggesting Steve try a single bladed razor too. He's got major grain problems in that there is no grain. He's multi-racial and has the tight curly corkscrews on the top of his head and his beard tries to do the same thing. Gets tons of ingrowns that start growing curlique under the skin and then get infected, VERY GROSS.

I'll mention it to him. We've been experimenting with different products for him for a while, and he's definitely open to sugestion.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you gentlemen ever shave with an electric? It's been years since I shaved with a razor. An electric is not quite as close as a blade, but the newer ones do a pretty good job. I occasionally get a rash, but its pretty rare.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I have tried a Norelco (my father's) and I bought a remington microscreen. I equate them to the epilady, I think, since all they did was try to yank the whiskers out by the roots.

The Norelco worked fine for my father, but not for me.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Dan an electric razor for our anniversary last year. He seemed to think it was pretty groovin'. Sometimes he misses bits, but most of the time it's a fairly close shave.

I'm waiting for mine now. [Smile]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
So much to respond to...
  1. Storm: SILENCE, BLASPHEMER!
  2. Zan: You are a funny, funny man.
  3. Shaving with cold water? Yikes! The only time I ever get irritation from shaving (apart from annoyance at having to do it in the first place) is when I have to shave with cold water. And I find that single-bladed razors tend to give me more irritation, but that's likely because they don't have a lubricating strip or a rotating head/flexible blade/whatever.
  4. I bought a Norelco on a lark once and used it for a few months. Didn't like it. Now I just keep it around in case a particular one of my friends stays over and forgets his own.
  5. AJ: Sounds like my idea with the facewash might not be a bad idea, then. Cool. (I love validation.)

[ September 05, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is hair considered so unsightly anyway? That's really a rather racist sentiment our notions of beauty have produced, and my German Jew ancestors protest.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Norelco Spectra - 3 heads of pivoting action, can be rinsed off in the sink and can be bought on EBAY for almost half what they charge in the stores.

quote:
Zan: You are a funny, funny man.
Wow, I'm all tingly inside now. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I use an electric, when I remember to shave. I have one of those fancy Braun with the base that cleans it for you. It appeals to the lazy aspect of me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Chris on the gross-out issue. I may not be married, but I've dated enough to be pretty jaded in these areas. You could pretty much talk about anything and it wouldn't bother me.

As to guys shaving the bikini line- swim team. Men have to shave all body hair for swimming- and we have lots of it. So, a lot of guys who've swum are well aware of these issues.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scared to use a one-bladed razor. They cut me more than anything does.

added: I use a Mach 3.

[ September 05, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I once used a single-bladed razor at work. I had to because I was working at a hotel and came in unshaven. It was brand new and hurt like a mother. It pretty much ripped every hair out of every pore on my face. My beard bled for about 3 hours. Yeah, not so much in the fun category.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I don't get grossed out by very many things at all, but menstruation is certainly not something that'll get me out of a thread. And, frankly, I can't understand in the slightest why any guy would be grossed out by talking about a girl's bikini area
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I used a Mach III once... My brother was mad at me after that. (I should have cleaned it out better...)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Similarly, I once used a Venus when I was staying at Juliette's place and forgot my own razor.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Have we plucked our first subject bare yet?

Ok, ladies: Depo Provera Shots or NuvaRing?

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Depo Depo Depo.

I would never be comfortable with that ring in there.

I used Ortho Evra for like a week. Stupid patch fell off three times.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Neither - my father always swore by the ole' "keep the nickel between your knees" theory - and you know, I think he might have been right.

Every other method has either caused irritation, discomfort, sickness, and/or not done the job, resulting in pregnancy.

Gee - fancy that! Have sex, get pregnant . . .

Ahh, let's hear it for abstinence!
[The Wave]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, guys, have you considered that it might not be about you being squicked out, but that of the women who'd rather not discuss these things in front of men?

[No No]

Why is everything about you? [Roll Eyes]

[Razz]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Neither - my father always swore by the ole' "keep the nickel between your knees" theory - and you know, I think he might have been right.

My dad told me the secret to effective birth control was orange juice. Yep, plain orange juice.

Not before...

Not after...

Instead of!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
Gee - fancy that! Have sex, get pregnant . . .

Ahh, let's hear it for abstinence!

I don't think my husband will be happy with this.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, well, if he is unhappy enough, he could always opt for a vasectomy. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

When we were dating (like four weeks into it) we were leaving the house to go for a walk when my grandma shouted "Don't forget your aspirin!" I said, "what for?" She told me to keep it between my knees. We were so embarrassed.

Kayla: He would but our insurance only covers my birth control, not his.

KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ thanks for clearing up that "nitro" glycerine thing because I was thinking that was a little scary! Unless you want to just blast off the hair!

I saw an "expose" (no pun intended) on the laser hair removal thing. It only works on dark hair b/c it's pigment seeking. So people who had tans or fair hair ended up with these horrible burns and scars! (esp. b/c no real oversight of who could perform these procedures). So I'd definitely stay away from lasers for the time being.

Cold water?! [Angst]

[ September 06, 2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: KEGE ]

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that they've improved the technology recently, KEGE. My wife had it done not too long ago, and I remember reading in some of the promotional literature that this had been a problem in the past, but was no longer the case. As you said, though, there's no oversight, so these claims could be false. In any case, my wife was pretty satisfied with it, but her skin wasn't too dark when she had it done, and her hair is brown, so she was a fairly ideal candidate for the procedure.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Celia. No one wants to talk about her subject. [Cry]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Yeah, that was actually why I ruled out the patch. I just don't trust it to stay in good contact.

Here's the thing. I tried ortho tri for about a year, and it made me crazy. Seriously freaking insane. I was so moody it wasn't funny, and I felt like I was living in someone elses body. I knew that my reactions weren't mine. It was awful, and I stopped. Since then, I'm rather wary of hormone treatments.

My doc says that isn't uncommon for that combination, but others might not have the same effect. So I'm looking at others.

I've kind of ruled out pills all together, as I was never really good at remembering to take it the same time every day. Partly because my schedule is different every day, partly because I'm absentminded.

The shots would be once every 3 months, and they call to remind me. That's nice, and I don't have a problem with needles.

The ring I'd have to remember twice a month, which I don't think I'll have a problem with. It's also about 1/3 the cost, and I'm poor at the moment. I can also take it out any time if I have the same reaction I had with pills.

I can't do that with the shots. I'd just have to wait it out. [Angst]

But I don't know if I can deal with the ick factor of the ring.

Don't you all regret looking in this thread now?

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I dated a girl years ago that used Norplant. She turned out to be not such a nice person, but I don't think that was because of the Norplant. Do you mind having something inserted under your skin?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

celia- I really don't think you are going to have better luck with any hormonal form of contraception as far as your moods go. They all do basically the same thing and most of them have very similar ingredients, only the dosages vary.
I've had so much trouble with this that I will be getting my tubes tied soon.

celia60
Member # 2039

zan, yes. and it has the same issue with cost and removability.

psi, that's what i said to my doctor, and she said what i was taking was the worste and i should try something else befor i write them off completely.

[ September 08, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Shan
Member # 4550

The really unfortunate thing, celia, is this - women's bodies are very delicately balanced and any hormonal adjustments are going to have some sort of effect. It just all depends on what you are willing to tolerate. Double-bag condoms increases the effectiveness and if you use non-lubed you don't have to worry about reacting to the spermicides, etc., unless of course you are allergic to latex in which case you might try some of the lambskin expensive types.

Other alternatives - get trained on the rhythym system. And prayer. [Roll Eyes]

You might also check out naturopaths/homeopaths for "natural" alternatives to contraception.

My only other idea is this - if you don't want to have children, get the tubes tied or get a hysterectomy. However, while this will prevent pregnancy (in most cases - strange things have been known to happen such as embryos emplanting on intestinal walls and then being delivered cesearean [Eek!] ), it doesn't help with the STD and HIV/AIDs factor. [Angst] Which is crucial for young women as we are the fastest rising contractors of these diseases. [Frown]

Hmmm - abstinence sounds so good . . .

The really really really sad part about all this, is that the doctors knew how touchy female systems were when they invented the "pill" - so it was originally designed for men - who would NOT take it - so the manufacturer's marketed it out to women. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] That is news to me...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Had a great biology teacher in college - she was full of all sorts of nifty stories and bizarre happenings!
celia60
Member # 2039

Ok, I'm asking as a married woman. As someone who's crappy insurance won't cover a tubal ligation (considers it to be elective surgery--when I have a better job, this is so happening). As someone who sat through a very thorough sex ed. class and knows about IUD's, Norplant, condoms, rhythm method, the sponge, the ton of options that were available 9 years ago. Someone who is more concerned with catching HIV from work than from her sex life.

I know that hormone therapy will have some effect on my balance. From my previous experience, I know about how much imbalance I find acceptable.

I've gone over the literature for I don't even know how many options and narrowed it down to these 2.

Does anyone have experience or insite that might help me choose between them?

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Your options being depo or the ring?

I'd suggest the nuvaring first. Less side effects. The depo can be great but lots do have side effects then you are stuck with it for three months. If you don't like the ring, just throw it out early and try the depo after all.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.