FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I cooked the tea on Friday !!!

Author Topic: I cooked the tea on Friday !!!
DanielW
Member # 5395

- posted      Profile for DanielW   Email DanielW         Edit/Delete Post 
This might not sound like much to many of you, but it's the first time I've cooked for more people than me from recipes rather than heating stuff up out of packets.

Now there is a reason for this post, other than fishing for adulation. This meal cost £22.20 for four portions, which is too steep for having every day. And yet I want to improve my cooking (going to university in a month !) so does anyone have any good, cheap recipes, or recommendations for recipe books containing inexpensive recipes ?

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Iffen you goes out and cuts yerself a good chunk o' wood, you kin whittle yerself a good slingshot, 'n' once ye got that, the sky's the limit! Squirrel stew, squirrel toast, squirrel pancakes, squirrel tar tar, squirrel suprise.... 'N' once yer done, you can sow the hides into a good pair o' britches t' keep yer ass warm!
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent advice and straight-forward recipes in two classics: Anne Rogers' A Cookbook for Poor Poets (and others) and Miriam Ungerer's Good Cheap Food. The former has a second edition, but both editions of Poor Poets are out of print. However, libraries/eBay/amazon.com all have them available for $10-20. Keep your eyes open at thrift stores and rummage sales, as well -- I've snagged a few good finds like these.

PS: Congrats on the tea! [Smile]

[ September 07, 2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
Three words: In, ter, net.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it wrong for me to have a crush on Daniel based entirely on his having "cooked tea" and using the pound sign to indicate currency? [Frown]
Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, some 'net reviews and mentions of Poor Poets:

quote:
I wasn't used to thinking about food this way. "Sliced tomatoes in summer need olive oil and basil; stewed tomatoes in winter need basil; and omelets and scrambled eggs need it." Notice that word "need." That isn't a cookbook word; there's something charged, even seductive, about it. ... Consequently, I'm glad I met up with Ann Rogers first. Learning about food from her was almost like learning about kissing from the young Lauren Bacall. Ann Rogers not only made bread and butter interesting and desirable, she showed me how to give that interest and desire style.
Outlaw Cook

quote:
Poets are often out of funds, says Louise Bogan, poet, in the forward to "A Cookbook for Poor Poets (and Others)," by Ann Rogers. ... Hence, the title of Rogers' cookbook hatched during the turbulent, and as many believe, poetic 1960s, an era in which intellectual powers and altruism reigned.

And so did simple food.

Penelope

quote:
The intent of the book was to offer wholesome recipes that could be cooked on a very limited budget for poets and artists and other people in dire straits financially to feed themselves a sit-down meal.
Red Table

Really a great read, too.

[ September 07, 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet_sheepy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for sweet_sheepy   Email sweet_sheepy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, simple British tea stuff. How I miss crumpets toasted and slathered with Nutella. *yum*

Which part of the UK are you from, Daniel?

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let him fool you. He's from Newark, he just likes to sound pretentious and sophisticated.

[Razz]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How I miss crumpets toasted and slathered with Nutella. *yum*
Mmm...nutella. I ate so much of that when I was in Estonia. Mmmmmm.

And Toni...no. It's not wrong. I was thinking the same thing.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
can't go wrong with chicken. It can last several days, cost 6 bucks, lasts for a week and goes good with rice or potatoes. you can roast it, fry it or even boil it.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else think it funny that the thread title referred to the preparation of tea, but the poster's concern was that it was too steep? Or was that just me again? *sigh*
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet_sheepy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for sweet_sheepy   Email sweet_sheepy         Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel: *big sigh* and here I was getting all excited about crumpets. Even if they were just cheap ones from Sainsbury's. [Wink]

Isn't there Nutella in the US? And is there anyone here from the UK? [Smile]

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

Very punny, Moose.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*reads Moose's post, scratches head in confusion*

*reads Toni's post, rereads Pop's post*

*has lightbulb moment, quickly followed by deep-groan moment*

Man, that was bad. I mean, I make bad puns, but wow . . . ! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanielW
Member # 5395

- posted      Profile for DanielW   Email DanielW         Edit/Delete Post 
To all who gave advice - thank you very much.

To Toni and Narnia - as far as I'm concerned it's perfectly acceptable [Wink]

To Moose - it took me a little while to get it, but now that I have [Eek!]

To Sweet_Sheepy - I'm from East Anglia. And smooth peanut butter or lemon curd are pretty good as well.

[ September 08, 2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: DanielW ]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm from East Anglia."

And you admit it?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

I still get a heart attack when hosting anything, but hopefully it will get easier the more I do it.

*scribbles down CT's suggestions*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet_sheepy
Member # 5136

Err, what's wrong with East Anglia? [Confused] haven't heard any East Anglia jokes ...

I haven't been back in the UK for three years now so am not entirely sure about prices in general ... but for GBP22.50 (no pound sign on this keyboard, argh!), it sounds like you had a reasonably posh tea. [Big Grin]

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
GBP 22.20? Isn't that, like, forty bucks in real money?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, no you're not allowed. However, you are allowed to have a crush on me if I say "made some tucker" or "chucked a barbie". [Wink]
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

Done and done.
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo! [Evil]
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.