FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » college life sucks

Author Topic: college life sucks
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
hello. i have been a lurker here for quite a long time. so long, in fact, that i have grown to hate my former screen name (spew the dew) and have decided to start anew. i feel i must rant to someone about suddenly being thrown 800 miles away from home and having to live in a dorm, so here goes.

i miss the south incredibly. i'm from knoxville, tn, and am currently in poughkeepsie, ny. i thought it would be great to be so close to new york city. boy was i wrong. there's just this completely different feeling here. and everyone has to tell me about my southern accent. i have to share a room and use a public bathroom which completely sucks. there's no cable. i can't get any channels at all with rabbit ears. the in my hall all decide to talk really loud to each other in the hall outside my door at 2 am, and one of them has roller skates, which she rides down the hall and then slams into the wall. the people here are so happy and outgoing i want to kill them. i feel like enid in ghost world. i miss my car. there's no cheap way of getting around here. a cab to mall costs $12 and there's not a bus that goes by here. i don't feel like doing any work for my classes, but i have a huge amount of reading to do. there's no air conditioning in my room, and i come from a house where the thermostat had to always be on 70. and most of all...i miss my family, my friends, and my 3 cats.
well, i feel a little better now.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Trade ya.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. I miss college! Try being on your own with no job trying to make ends meet. College rocks! You'll get used to it once the homesickness wears off (whcih I never had...) and you start meeting cool people
Though you have to admit, that noisy people in dorms is hell. I was lucky in college to live in small dorms and theme houses.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you didn't say "well" alot.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toni
Member # 5620

- posted      Profile for Toni   Email Toni         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think it would take quite a bit of acclomating to make so many drastic changes. That's totally normal. When the winter hits, you're gonna hate upstate NY. [Smile]

After the initial adjustment period, the noise may seem exciting instead of obnoxious, the lack of TV irrelevant instead of withdrawal-inducing, and the need for transportation an impetus to make some groovin' new friends instead of a major impediment.

I'll bet when you graduate in four years, you'll be bawling like a little sissy girl and missing it for years to come.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Welcome to posting.

I had the same experience last year except for the loud dorm because I was on an all girls floor. And I wasn't too homesick since home was two hours away. But I was unmotivated. I'm going with my theory that I and others will be more motivated when we find something interesting to study. Yes that's right, I'm starting my second year and have no major. Ah well.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. About the only thing that would make me take a room at an American college is the prospect of being put on these all-girl floors of which you speak... Rowr! [Evil]
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
That's nothing. I'm starting my third year and I still don't have a major....
[Laugh] Damander
(atleast I can laugh at myself)

Don't worry, you'll get used to college life and begin to love it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
And you'll change your screen name again, too.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
3R, You at Marist or Vassar? I know a person or two at Vassar, and I know the Poughkeepsie area pretty well, having worked at IBM there for a year.

It's a tough place to live if Northeastern Rustic isn't your thing.

But in all honesty, almost everyone gets homesick a bit at college. I did, and I was in inner city Baltimore. If I can adjust to that, Pok will will be a piece of cake.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
i went the opposite direction, PA to AL. they'll never stop asking about the accent, sorry to have to tell you that.

anyway, the culture shock sort of wore off after a few months. eventually, a few of the aquantences turned into friends. and, frankly, i had a fabulous time. don't sweat that stuff. you'll settle in eventually, and faster if you don't constantly tell yourself how much you hate it.

as for the homework thing. just freaking do it, already. i really don't have any sympathy for the cost of cab fare for someone who's blowing off homework.

Bok: profile says Vassar

[ September 08, 2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: celia60 ]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Professor Funk
Member # 5608

- posted      Profile for Professor Funk   Email Professor Funk         Edit/Delete Post 
Dorm life sucks - I'll attest to that, but college life I find rather fulfilling. It'll take a while, but soon you'll be well-adjusted and never want to leave.

At least I never want to leave. Maybe that's my main problem...

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Man - I even liked dorm life. My dorm was cool, though. An old-style building (it's now a landmark and in the national registry) complete with southern verandas, chandelier in the entry way, double stair case and just a nice, genteel feeling.

Those are the perks. There was also mold, noise and dust, but hey - you win some, you lose some. I had a very cool balcony and window seats in my room. It was spiff-city.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.