FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Loud to be an American

Author Topic: New column: Loud to be an American
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Loud to be an American
"This week marks the second year since the mass murders in New York City. I can't bring myself to use the word 'anniversary,' that sounds a bit too much like something requiring streamers and cheap champagne.
"It's important for us to remember this tragedy and to honor the dead by demonstrating to the world how much we love our country. Not just by hanging American flags and singing Lee Greenwood songs, but by celebrating the very things that ticked off the terrorists and their extremist sponsors in the first place.
"This week I urge you to wallow in the truly wonderful freedoms that we have fought to protect."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Good stuff. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I wish you were in California to give Arnie a run for his, er, I mean other people's, money!

But I understand if you'd like to stay in a slightly saner state.

Another rockin' column. [Cool]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Really? You can just take them? I guess I'll go buy a big mac with all this money I set aside for bribes. YIPPEE!!!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you are fabulous!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
"Slightly saner state." Florida?

See, California couldn't compete with us for election stupidities, so they had to go with quantity. They're still no match for our befuddled electorate! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. It's that chad thing, isn't it?

And you have Jeb too. I get your point! [Big Grin]

[ September 10, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Erik Slaine ]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Another excellent column, Chris. [Hat]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful. I'm forwarding this to everyone I can think of who would appreciate it. Especially some friends who had their sense of humor removed at birth.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, when I've tried to load your columns it often will just get stuck in transfer mode and never download. Through presistance (since I'm willing to try hard to read your stuff [Big Grin] ) I weill eventually be able to read it, but it's kind of frustrating. Any idea why that happens (and is happening now)? [Frown]

[EDIT: And I do try stuff like refresh, or clicking on the link again and whatnot]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ September 10, 2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
It worker for me, Hobbes. It wasn't bad either. Erik Slaine, Florida is not a saner state, we have as many liberal whack jobs as you. [Smile]

Edit to add: and all of those crazy people trying to take away the Pledge of Allegiance in your state originally came from Florida but failed and tried somewhere else.

[ September 10, 2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I've said it before, and if I haven't, I'll say it again -- you should really stick to this kind of political writing. Everything you've written has been absolutely rife with talent, but your political articles and posts have always blown me farther than anything else (far more than the career pundits, certainly, and possibly the most of any writer on Hatrack or Ornery).

The US needs your voice.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Things about this article that I loved:

"Read a few more and enjoy that tingly, fabric-tearing feeling." -I love that feeling. [Big Grin]

"Get enough signatures and you can put any fool thing on the ballot. It's fun!" -I'm gonna try this tomorrow!

It was a great article, Chris. I make a solemn vow to read all of your forthcoming articles. Because that'll really tick those terrorists off.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monteverdi
Member # 2896

- posted      Profile for monteverdi           Edit/Delete Post 
a kind of 'let them eat cake' feel to this piece.

and boy did they ever...

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...Chris wrote the article. I managed to miss that. In that case I'll admit that not only was it not bad but it was very good.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rasputin
Member # 5409

- posted      Profile for Rasputin   Email Rasputin         Edit/Delete Post 
Great article, Chris. I also like the flash mob article--" Fortunately insaner heads have prevailed. " [ROFL] Morbo
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.