FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Revelations interpreted - if you read this, you're going to Hades (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Revelations interpreted - if you read this, you're going to Hades
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John, according to the authors, used 666 as the number of the beast in order to confuse his Roman captors. Vav is the sixth letter of the Hebrew alphabet. 666, therefore, is "vav vav vav." And, inasmuch as vav is often transliterated "waw," it is plain to the enlightened mind that "666" is really "www." Ergo, the "mark of the beast" involves buying and selling on the Internet.

[ROFL]

Granted, this is a quote of a paraphrase of a summary of a book, so some distortion is expected. However, I think this is hands-down the funniest interpretation of Revelations I've ever seen. Can you believe it?

[ September 10, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a sneaking suspicion I was headed for hell.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
A favorite quote: "Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?"
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
So I shouldn't get www tatooed on my forehead?

Sounds to me like this author obviously doesn't know much of anything about Hebrew or Hebrew numerology....

[ September 10, 2003, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. [Embarrassed]
I'm embarrassed for him.

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
So Dale grivel was right, the internet is the beast.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Slash is the Beast, and Ralphie his loyal minion. It's the Disney version of Revelation.

I can't really figure out who to cast as the 4 horsemen, though. Perhaps the following four suspects:

BannaOj
TomDavidson
Foust
and the lovely and talented horseman of war:
Storm Saxon

Only because they have all started a "Gay Marriage" thread. [Razz]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
::ahem::
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

I feel like such a newbie.
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Minion!
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Minion?!

[Mad]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

[Grumble]
Sweet William
Member # 5212

Every major Disney character has to have a sidekick or "minion." It's in the Eisener rulebook.

I was desperate. I mean, really who could stand to hang around in Slash's shadow for 90 minutes of screen time (and 4 weeks during the location shoot!) except you, Ralphie? [Wink]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

::slightly refuffled:: Well, okay then.

(p.s. - How's that for post-slutting!)

Sweet William
Member # 5212

Oh yeah, that is some serious slutting.
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Revelations originally written in Greek?

[ September 10, 2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
You know... I was heading there anyways... so anyone want me to pick up a little something. I could pick up some cheese, some nice baguettes, a little red wine... I know this great website that will deliver absolutely anywhere. [Evil] [Evil Laugh] [Evil]
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Revelation (the 's' is extraneous) was originally written in Greek. Making '666' an obvious reference to eta . . the long 'a' sound, depending on your Greek prof. We can only assume that they dropped the rough breathing mark and therefore 'ay ay ay' is really 'hey, hey, hey!'

Though what the heck that'd be pointing toward, I haven't a clue. [Confused] I think I need a government grant and a time to write a book on it.

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
"hey! hey! hey!" -- therefore Dewayne of "What's Happening?" is the Anti-Christ?

or is it "eh? eh? eh?" meaning that Bob and Doug Mackenzie are the two false witnesses?

</bad 80's comedy references>

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

"eh, eh, eh!" Now it's all clear!

It must obviously point to an unholy trinity of Canadians!

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay. I'll be in good company. [Wink]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
ANYONE who dares to interpret Revelations is going to Hades.
Except when it's funny.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Six hundred, threescore and six is just such a lovely number... I think it was just a partiality towards the number 6, with an obsession of symmetry. But what would I know, I'm only Damien...

[Evil]

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

Yes, yes, Damien. But are you Canadian? PopTheology and spooky movie/book references get you nowhere. You have to build on the solid base of rational thought we've built up for ourselves.

Now, if you happen to be a "neighbor to the north," we can talk. And . . .cover up that birthmark. It's creepy.

Q.

Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey, hey, hey" is an obvious reference to Fat Albert. Is anyone really surprised that Bill Cosby is the anti-christ?
Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

there is only one trio of Canadians with that kind of power...

Canada's premier Power Trio

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Me a horseman of the apocalypse???
[Eek!]

AJ

Or, does this reference add to my Jatraquero legitimacy? I mean I've been mentioned in the same list as Tom Davidson and Storm Saxon!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

I'd say that makes you pretty hatrack legit... but not as cool as having Ralphie start a thread with your name in it...
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of fact, the "666" in Revelation is in fact from chi, sigma, stigma (an obscure letter combining the s and t sounds). The numerical values are not simply six in each case, but six hundred, sixty, and six, respectively.

So if you didn't know that book was written by a kook before, you do now.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

William that was HILARIOUS

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

Thank you, thank you. I'm trying ot redeem myself for being such a beeeeeyatch lately. [Big Grin]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Does this mean I have you to take you off my list of "people to kill" for calling me condescending?

[Razz]

Túrin
Member # 2704

- posted      Profile for Túrin   Email Túrin         Edit/Delete Post 
Maccabeus said what I was going to, that the book is written in Greek and it's Six hundred, sixty, and six, three different numbers, not 666 as in "three sixes."

So any interpretation based on three sixes, such as 777 representing perfection and 666 imperfection, is so much twaddle.

Any interpretation based on Hebrew or Latin or English is bogus, because it was written in Greek.

It's the Book of Revelation, not Revelations.

EVERYONE is going to Hades, because that's the place everyone goes when the die, both good and bad. Hades is not the same place as Hell. Think of it as the waiting room where everyone awaits judgment. At the Judgment, people in the bad section of Hades get tossed into Hell, and people in the nice section get tossed into Heaven.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
According to my classical mythology professor, the ancient Greeks didn't believe in heaven or hell as we understand them. Anyone who died went to Hades, which was a generally unpleasant place. Certain especially heroic people went to Elysion (the Elysian Fields) instead, but they didn't actually die. Rather, they were whisked away at the moment before their deaths.

Later the Eleusinian Mysteries had more to say on what happened after you died, but not much is known about their beliefs.

[Edit: Why would I write philosophy instead of mythology? I must be more tired than I thought.]

[ September 11, 2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do some translations say 616 if it's six hundred, sixty, and six? I don't get it? [Dont Know]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, Hey, Hey!
Soooo... Fat Albert is the Beast?
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I feel like such a newbie.
But you ARE a newbie! [Evil Laugh] [Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Laugh] [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

Does this mean I have you to take you off my list of "people to kill" for calling me condescending?

Actually, no. Being on your list of people to kill will give me some Hatrack cred.

After you kill me, please use your "minionly wiles" to get Slash to eat me, because I am so FREAKIN' SICK AND TIRED OF NOT BEING EATEN BY SLASH YET. [Wall Bash]

BTW, I really meant "condescending in a nice way." I'm so very sorry if you didn't get that. [Razz]

[ September 11, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Sweet William ]

Ralphie
Member # 1565

Uh huh.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Fat Albert is The Beast.
Mush Mouth is another name for the Horseman of Famine.

you can do the rest.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]

Oh my goodness...

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Of Destruction
Member # 3276

- posted      Profile for Lord Of Destruction           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, wouldn't Fat Albert be the Horseman of Famine?
Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After you kill me, please use your "minionly wiles" to get Slash to eat me, because I am so FREAKIN' SICK AND TIRED OF NOT BEING EATEN BY SLASH YET.
I'm not a newbie anymore, and Slash never ate me either. Not that I want to experience the event but, I just thought I'd rub it in. [Evil Laugh] jk [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Yes, but I did come dangerously close to spanking you, Nick.

The only reason why I didn't is because I knew, deep down inside, you'd like it.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember the hilarious "www" discussion thread that Geoff started way back...summer of 2000 I think it was?? kat's post would have fit in perfectly with that! HAA!!
(for those who really want to feel like newbies, you can read part of the thread here.)

[ September 11, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

...and Slash never ate me either.

Great, I can feel hope starting to fade. [Frown]

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
ah never ate me, though he claims that I'm in something called a 'hoochie stable.'
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

He only eats the self-promoting n00bs.
Sweet William
Member # 5212

Dang it. That's what I get for being so humble and not making any waves at all and not disageeing with anyone, and just being the sweetest guy alive.

You'd think he'd at least eat somebody that called his sister condescending (in the nicest possible way). I mean the protective male thing and all.

Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't know, PSI...but I can guess that the sigma was accidentally switched with a xi, or whatever Greek letter means "ten". If it's a xi, I think that could be done by accidentally adding a squiggle by a careless scribe.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.