FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alabama says 'no' to tax increase

Author Topic: Alabama says 'no' to tax increase
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/nation/6698370.htm

quote:

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Gov. Bob Riley is tired of seeing Alabama near the bottom in the national rankings. He says it is time voters demand as much from their public schools and state government as they do from their college football teams.

The price of change: a $1.2 billion tax increase that would be the biggest in Alabama history and the largest in percentage terms of any state this year.

quote:

"For all my life, we've been 47th, 48th or 49th. I have never understood why," said the 58-year-old Republican. "Is there something about us that says we can't excel at something other than football? I don't believe that."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/11/national/11ALAB.html?ex=1063944000&en=6c10b070ca6b45d9&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

quote:

With Tax Plan Rejected, Alabama Braces for Cuts
By DAVID M. HALBFINGER

MONTGOMERY, Ala., Sept. 10 — On Tuesday, as his prized $1.2 billion tax plan was going down in flames in a statewide referendum, Gov. Bob Riley quietly unveiled a plaque depicting the Ten Commandments in an exhibit room of the state Capitol.

Coming 10 days after a granite monument to the Ten Commandments had been removed from the rotunda of the Alabama judicial building, angering many Christian conservatives, Mr. Riley's gesture sent a clear signal: He may have suffered a humiliating defeat in the tax vote, but he has hardly given up his political base in the right wing of the Republican Party.

Today, as legislative leaders emerged ashen-faced from a meeting with Mr. Riley on the extent of the fiscal crisis, it appeared that his dire forecasts would come about: prisoners turned loose, nursing-home patients turned out and schoolchildren denied textbooks.

"What's going to happen is horrendous," Senator Larry Dixon, Republican of Montgomery, said.

Representative Ken Guin, Democrat of Carbon Hill, said Mr. Riley was trying to soften the blow as much as possible. Still, he said, "You just kind of sit there with your mouth open where the cuts are going to be."

Also see

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/106335832786250.xml

So, bad things might happen as a result of budget cuts.

I think it will be interesting to see the outcome of this in three years time. Depending on the outcome, I think Alabama will be pointed at as an indication of what happens when taxes are kept low by fiscal conservatives or fiscal liberals.

The articles that I have given are both pessimistic towards the budget cuts. I would be interested to see what articles people can find that paint a rosier picture.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like his heart is in the right place, political rhetoric aside. I'd be sick of running a bottom-of-the-barrel state too.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes head*

The tax cuts as a solution to everything/supply siders need to learn that fiscal conservatism means cutting spending before cutting taxes. Cutting taxes without proper planning and forethought is just as disastrous as raising taxes without a good reason to spend.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe tax cuts can stimulate an economy but at the same time I think its ridiculous to say that you can't raise taxes when you need to pay for something. Although I do wonder if $1.2 billion was really necessary.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares about that podunk state? [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, Ms. average Alabama resident, what *is* your feeling on all of this?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't decide whether I was for or against so I abstained. I'm not sad about not having a tax increase. It's always when everyone is hurting that the state wants more of what we don't have. I worked for the state at one time (UAB hospital) and I don't feel that state funds are so very well spent, all things considered. As for Alabama being 49th at everything, that's just a trick to keep people from moving here. [Smile]

To tell the truth, my first post summed it up. I have very little interest in local politics. Ask my sister. She's the local political creature. I'm all about saving the world. [Smile]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.