FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which X-Files DVD should I get?

Author Topic: Which X-Files DVD should I get?
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I get to buy one of the seasons of the X-Files on DVD, but I don't know which one to get. I'm thinking of Season 5, 6, or 7. I really like the sort-of-humorous episodes like "X-Cops" or the one where Mulder and Scully pretend to be Rob and Laura Petrie to move into the planned community.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any already?
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
nope
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Season 5 has Post-modern Promethius(frankenstien redux) and the Vampire one with Luke Wilson as the either buck-toothed or not sherrif. That was funny.

But then, 6 has the two-parter with Micheal McKean, where Mulder trades bodies with Morris Fletcher. The one of the mirror images dancing... well, it's classic. So is "Triangle" which is kind of a take on The Wizard of Oz.

I guess I'm leaning towards 6, since season 5 was 4 eps short because they were working on the movie and it also has eps penned by Stephen King and ... the cyber-punk guy... Gibson? that are basically paint-by-numbers knock-offs of some of their better work.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Season Three. It contains the three best X-Files episodes,hands down:

War of the Copraphages
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose,
and
Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna have to agree with Chris. Season three was the first season I started watching, and still has my fave eps. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is still my favorite epsisode.

-Taal

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4107

- posted      Profile for 2   Email 2         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Chris.

I never intended to buy any of them, simply because they are expensive, and there are plenty of seasons.

I had not watched the show in years. I had all the episodes from seasons two through four on video, and gave them to a friend's girlfriend when she was bed-ridden for a summer. They broke up. Enough said.

But my girlfriend has been watching them in syndication on SciFi and some other station, and it got me sucked right back into them. I have fond memories of all three episodes Chris mentioned, but I wanted my girlfriend to be able to watch the show in order, for the story's sake. Soooo.... I'm a bit lighter in the pocketbook. However, she found seasons three and four on eBay for cheap.

So, my advice is get season three, and look for a good deal. ($20 brand new is, by the way, a pretty good deal...)

Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is one of the piss-your-pants funny episodes of X-Files.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
5 or 6.

Season 5 has some of the best mytharc episodes ever: Redux/Redux II, Christmas Carol/Emily. It has The Post-Modern Prometheus, which never fails to make me smile. It has Bad Blood, one of the funniest episodes ever. Plus there are some underrated stand-alones: Mind's Eye, All Souls, Folie a Deux (with its wonderful "one in five billion" line for the shippers among us)... [Big Grin]

And Season 6 has Triangle, which is one of those episodes that you love watching even though it doesn't make any sense. It has How the Ghosts Stole Christmas, another feel-good episode. It has Arcadia, the gated-community one that you mentioned, and The Unnatural with its lovely opening and closing scenes, and myriad other great stand-alones.

Personally, I think I'd go with 5. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
They should put all the Rat Boy eps together somehow. I would buy THAT. [Big Grin]

Season 3 does have three of the best eps ever, but I'd still go for 5 or 6. Does five cost as much as six? It's one disc shorter. Just curious.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Five seems to cost more than any of the other seasons. Six seems to be cheaper than most of the other seasons. I have no idea why. I've been tracking them on ebay. Of course, if you buy the Asian version it is a lot cheaper than the USA version.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

I'm not sure I want to buy it on eBay. I just don't trust it. On Amazon.com people sell used copies and they're guaranteed by Amazon, so I think I'll buy it there. All the seasons except 3 are between $50 and $60. 3 is $80. So, I think I'm going to pick one other than 3. I'm leaning toward 6 right now, but I really want "X-Cops."
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

Is it really true that the Asian edition will play in any DVD player? If that's true and the only difference is Chinese characters on the package and different subtitle options, it seems worth it to get the Asian version.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.