FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » faux pas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: faux pas
MacBeth
Member # 5670

- posted      Profile for MacBeth   Email MacBeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering...is it wrong for me to wish I still did drugs and was a carefree teen without child and another on the way and a wife...and things I need to keep paying on and supporting a family and being a grown-up...I remember drugs...they made me happy...less angry...happy [Big Grin] So go ahead and talk about what weak person I am and the crutches I need but...this forum just doesn't compare to running around naked in the woods on mushrooms.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought the use of too many elipses was the sign of a disturbed mind.

You may not need mind-altering chemicals, MacBeth.

[Razz]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks*

Look, I realize that you may be yearning for drugs because they symbolize your youth and all... but you yearn for yo yos or disco music or Cheetos or something?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"is it wrong for me to wish I still did drugs and was a carefree teen without child and another on the way and a wife...and things I need to keep paying on and supporting a family and being a grown-up..."

My best friend -- the best man at my wedding -- has just left his wife after cheating on her with a married woman for two and a half years. He has two children, and I'm sure he ALSO got to missing the drugs, the late-night concerts, the random flirting, and the ability to quit his job without having to worry about paying the bills.

Sometimes I miss some of those things, too.

But I'm still married. I still pay my bills. And I still catch the occasional concert.

If you cop out, make no mistake: you're copping out, because you weren't man enough to cut it. That may make you happy, but it ALSO makes you less of a man -- and you'd have to live with that, I'm afraid.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MacBeth
Member # 5670

I know I know but....*thinks of plausible excuse* damn...I know and thats why I stopped all of that... but ahhh for the old days..
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Responsibility sucks, does it not? I do not blame you at all, but your duties to your family have to come first.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

How do they make you less of a man, Tom? Stopping because of responsibilities is all well and good, but if you do not have any, why on earth is it wrong? That is a very arrogant attitude.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Leaving your responsibilities to selfishly pursue a lifestyle you promised not to live anymore?

How does that NOT make you less of a man?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Tom seemed to be talking about all drugs, all the time, not just this instance. I thought I made it reasonably clear that I agree MacBeth should stay off if he has responsibilities that require it, but apparently not.
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom was speaking in that same context.

MacBeth, I don't think you'd be able to go back to being a profligate any more than I'd be able to go back to being a toddler. But it's okay. Grown ups have a whole nother world of cool stuff to do.

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
popatr
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for popatr   Email popatr         Edit/Delete Post 
I use elipses in my normal speech. I guess that cuts it--I'm disturbed.

But heck yeah, I can sympathize. I have never used drugs, slept around, or even attended rock concerts. And I haven't even taken on the biggest responsibilities of life yet.

But I remember days as a kid, where I didn't have to stress about anything. Even later, when I got into school, I had summers long enough to give me bliss for a while. [sighs]

I'll never, ever, feel that summer feel again.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
popatr
Member # 1334

[Cry]
Posts: 554 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
But I remember days as a kid, where I didn't have to stress about anything. Even later, when I got into school, I had summers long enough to give me bliss for a while. [sighs]

Now, THAT I can totally sympathize with.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet that at the time you didn't think your life was stress free.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Why not?

[ September 16, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Tresopax ]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Why not?

"Hey, Boss, I think I'm just gonna take this summer off, ride bikes with my friends around the neighborhood, watch cartoons, and drink lemonade."

"Well, okay. Do you still want your regular salary?"

"Yeah, sure. That'd be great."

Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

I'm not asking about why can't you quit working, drink lemonade, ride around with your friends, and still get paid. (Although keep in mind you could do that, except for the pay part.)

I'm asking why you won't ever be able to go a summer - or a year - without stress?

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

Because I need it, baby. It's like a drug.

Come on! Just one more hit! Show me a credit card bill or something! Anything! Look at me, I shaking!

msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger,6-10 years old, my twin and I used to get into arguments about a whole lot of little things. Dad would come down and yell at us to stop bickering. He would say "Find something important to argue about." We thought we had. It was important to us. I don't tell my kids that when they are arguing. I do tell them to shut up becuase it bothers me. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I was more stressed as a child than I am now.

I'm still trying to handle the overload of stress from back then though...

I'm sure I have a disturbed mind...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Retirement is just one big, long summer, I understand.

Also, teachers get a summer.

MacBeth: Since you have one on the way, I can only assume that your other one is still preschool age, perhaps older. Give up ALL your adulthood and play with the little one. See the world through their eyes. See how everything is new. There are so many states you can get yourself into that make you happy and make you more of a man, even... and the plus side is you are completely in control. If you need to be sober, then you are, immediately.

When your next one is born, I know she/he might look like a lump but interact. You'd be suprised at how social they are. And it has been clinically proven that sleeping babies are a relaxant: your heart beats slower and you have a higher level of endorphins. Heck, you can learn (and I encourage every parent of an infant to do so) to relax in the same way when they are colicky. They are really tuned to your stress level, and even though they might still be crying they'll be feeling the love too.

And marriage has its ups and downs. It might be particularly stressful for you right now, but it won't always be that way if you just stick with it and love your wife and children and do stuff with them.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
popatr
Member # 1334

Oh yes--if I get a good retirement setup, I might feel pretty cool about that.

But I assure you, I actually felt pretty stress free at the time. I remember at least the summers, because I hated school with my whole soul. I would practically melt once vacation came. And I really savored almost every moment. Sleeping in, going to friends, vegging (it was impossible to bore me), or even doing chores. The chores weren't bad and I was with the family I wuv.

If I did have stress over anything, which I'm not sure I did, at least of was the type that a person could forget in a few hours or days.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have very little stress. My job is low-pressure and rewarding, my living situation is only occasional tumultuous, I have more free time than I know what to do with, and I'm so completely free of stress that I've forgotten my coping mechanisms and flip out when something is actually difficult.

Not bad.

---------

Tom's right. Wanting less stress isn't bad, but if you take steps to rid yourself of the active fulfilling of your responsibilities, you're a weenie.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Drugs and freedom v.s. That first smile of the new baby, or the sound of the older one calling you Daddy?

Don't forget, that cool Summer Off feeling was nice, but there are some things even better.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought summer was all that great. Two weeks into it there's nothing new to do.

Same principle with drugs and carefreeness, etc. How long into a new "carefree" life before you start to realize you screwed up bad, and now there's no wifey to take you back, cause she's gone, baby.

For heaven's sake...if you are going to do something "carefree", buy a sports car, and don't even THINK about making your wife and kids pick up the slack that you couldn't carry.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
thats why im never getting married, never having kids, never buying anything, and always staying wasted.
[Razz]

that-
that..that was a joke.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
It's bitter irony... When you have things you need to do you are stessed, but when you don't you are bored. Heh.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
popatr
Member # 1334

No, like I said, I'm practically impossible to bore. Oh, I suppose you could do it if you locked me up in a featureless room. But otherwise, I always found something to wonder about.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Impossible to bore? You obviously have not been reading my alter-ego's posts.... I'll tell him to work harder.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chade Fallstar
Member # 5581

- posted      Profile for Chade Fallstar           Edit/Delete Post 
The thought of going back to where I was as a teenager is almost as scary as the thought of staying where I am now for the rest of my life. I cannot imagine wanting to go back to doing drugs and being irresponsible. Does that make me crazy? I think not.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

You know, I have to think that anyone resorting using drugs to fill their time couldn't have been too happy with their life.
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Does every person do drugs as a teenager? Hmmm...I guess I've missed something.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

Well Tresopax, you are wrong. [Smile]
popatr
Member # 1334

Like I said, I never did.
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I didn't. Max Headroom speaks, I listen.

"Be smart, don't start."

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
That quote's alot better than "Just Say No"
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Well. Let me preface this, and keep in mind that I waited for everyone to say their piece in this thread before I threw it in...

I will never take drugs again, but I still long for those irresponsible twenties! And, before I continue, Kids: Don't do drugs!

Okay. I really know where MacBeth is coming from, and to prove it:

The difference between acid and 'shrooms:

When you are on acid, the world is full of creepy, crawly, tiny little insectlike creatures--and they're all out to get you!

When you are on 'shrooms, the world is full of creepy, crawly, tiny little insectlike creatures--

And you're one of them.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

What if you don't take drugs, and you're still one of the world's creepy crawlies? [Frown]
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo! Natural High!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaah, Ralphie. Momma BuggaBugga loves the creepy crawlies! (was that Jenny Gardener? I don't remember)

Anyway, I tried drugs when I was younger and discovered that I was (violently) allergic to marijuana and speed made me sleepy. Cocaine just made me want more cocaine, and damned if that isn't just *wasteful*. It's illegal and just not that fun. *shrug* Also: expensive. I have better things to spend my money on (like books and cds! hee) than throwing up in someone's ice plants in La Jolla.

Whatever.

I was lucky to have an addict for an uncle (unlucky for him, I suppose, but he's sober now) and a mother who gave a crap about me. Drugs do ugly things to your brain, and I'm not pretty enough to get by on my looks.

I often feel trapped in my marriage and by my motherhood, but I made a commitment, and eventually I pass over into acceptance. It's a crappy day today, though, and tomorrow I will feel much better and positive about the whole thing. That's what's great about life. It continues to change.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does every person do drugs as a teenager?
Nah, I didn't. I did get plastered when I turned 16, but other than that I didn't do anything, drug wise, as a teenager.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't take drugs as a teenager. Really suprising, isn't it?
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, where are people getting these drugs in first place? For crying out loud, I went to high school in Houston, half my hang-out buddies had been through rehab by age 15, and I STILL didn't get offered drugs of any sort until I was at a KMFDM concert when I was NINETEEN.

I couldn't have done drugs if I'd wanted to. There was no peer pressure at all!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MacBeth
Member # 5670

Mostly right...on acid you know everything but only for a little while and can't explain it coherently...On shrooms...well ok I agree you are not only not yourself but the world in which you know does not exist and you are one of the things that goes bump in the night...almost makes you feel like a predator...In a jungle kind of way...but mainly I just smoked a lot of pot. I never even gave much thought to alcohol...after seeing how violent and stupid people got..now I know someone is going to try to throw that predator line back at me...but in all fairness I have never seen anyone else on shrooms...or at least not directly paying attention to them. But in my mind weed was always a safer bet then alcohol. I just never heard any of the Got high and beat your wife stories that I hear about alcohol...It was more like get high go to sleep maybe watch a movie...whatever...uhhh I know I had a point when I started writing...Then again I suppose I did enough in my teen years for a whole life time...and in answer no not everyone does drugs as a teen...but if you are (which I am not advocating) As a teen is the only time in your entire life when youcan do so without such dire reprecussions
Danzig
Member # 4704

People randomly offering you drugs everywhere you turn are for the most part an anti-drug propaganda exaggeration. Too bad. That is too dangerous for the dealer. If you are looking for them, they are not that hard to find, depending on the drug you are looking for. I do not recall ever being offered pot in high school, but when I decided to use it I had no trouble getting it. I just waited until I could be punished under the full extent of the law if I got caught. [Smile] I wish now that I had smoked it a lot earlier, but I suppose it is for the best that I waited.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I have never, not once in my life, ever been offered drugs of any kind.

I've also never had a stalker.

I think people don't like the way I look, or summin'. [Frown]

[ September 16, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

MacBeth
Member # 5670

I have never seen drugs offered in a pressuring kind of way...If they ask you and you say no...they say More for me [Big Grin]
and drop it [Razz]
And I would think not being stalked means that youare at least an aproachable person even to sickos...hey is that why your always posting in my threads?

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never taken drugs, either. But then, I'm still 18.. Drug dealers, you're running out of time!

Nah, though, I don't even like drinking caffiene or taking my asthma meds much...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MacBeth
Member # 5670

I can't stress enough..if someone offers you any kind of pill...DON"T TAKE IT
I include all things in that form
Or snorting or shooting up.
Your just asking for trouble with these mediums.
I knocked a friend out one time when he told me he had smoked crack.
He complained that we were friends and I told him thats why I did it.
Sure by all legal standards I am insane from shroom and acid use...however..I never once had to worry about Dieing

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*cringe*
I'm about as anti-drug as it's physically possible to get, so this whole thread has taken a very depressing turn for me. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.