FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sleeping Position Reveals Personality Traits

Author Topic: Sleeping Position Reveals Personality Traits
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, you heard it here.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030916/sc_nm/science_sleep_dc_2

Basically, options are:
1. fetal position
2. flat on back, soldier style
3. on side, legs stretched out, arms at side
4. number three with arms outstretched in yearner postition (?)
5. freefall, flat on stomach, hands at the sides of the head
6. "starfish" (on back arms and legs spread out taking up entire bed.)

1. shy
2. quiet, reserved
3. social, easy-going
4. suspicious
5. brash and gregarious
6. unassuming, good listeners

Yeah, I don't know what yearner position means.

quote:
"What's interesting is that the profile behind the posture is often very different from what we would expect," he added in a statement.
That's what I was thinking.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you adopt pretty much every single one of those over the course of the night?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

So, you're a multiple personality, is that what you are saying?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
I sleep hanging upside down in a closet. What does that mean?
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I think that must be what I'm saying!

::high pitched voice::Oh, now that's ridiculous!

::normal voice:: shhhhh!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
i sleep in number 5. all the time, every night.

And I am so not brash.
im gonna smack the bastard that wrote that

[Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Really though, I sleep in 3, but I act more like 5.

Wait a sec, when they say fetal position, do they mean, on your side? If so, that's how I sleep. And that personality DOES NOT describe me.

quote:
"What's interesting is that the profile behind the posture is often very different from what we would expect," he added in a statement.
I love it. They can say whatever they want about anyone, and then put that quote at the end to make sure they're always right.
If you sleep in Number 1, and you're shy, see, they were right!
If you sleep in Number 1, and you're brash, well, that's not what you would expect. They're right!

[ September 16, 2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: MaureenJanay ]

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Apparently I'm social, easy-going, brash and gregarious!

Hmmm...

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Maureen, sleeping upside down in the closet means you should seek psychiatric help. Obviously you are batty.

I tried the fetal position but it freaked my mother out.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

[ROFL]
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* I'm always at odds with these things!

I sleep both in the fetal and the stomach positions so I'm shy, brash and gregarious!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I'm brash and gregarious but I wake up in the morning as a starfish...I think yearner implies the position of a dead dog lying on its side (you know what I mean - the dead dog is lying on its back in the street with all fours up in the air, but the yearner must be on the side). Ofcourse, that makes sense. All carcasses are suspicious.
[Smile]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
popatr
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for popatr   Email popatr         Edit/Delete Post 
I sleep in 1, 2, 4, and 5. At various times.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't mention flat on your stomach bear-hugging your pillow, with your ankles crossed. (when alone)

or behind your significant other, one arm under his neck the other over his torso. (when not alone).

Those are my preferred positions.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested to know what it means to sleep on the stomach, with arms and legs all spread out (like the last one, except on the stomach instead of on the back, I guess).
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

quote:
or behind your significant other, one arm under his neck the other over his torso. (when not alone).
In the words Bill Cosby....

"Oh baby!"

I don't actually sleep this way. My husband and I are both pretty independent so it never really occured to us to sleep touching each other. We sleep on opposite sides of the bed.

BUT the other night we did fall asleep holding each other. We were pleasantly surprised! [Blushing]

[ September 16, 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: MaureenJanay ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Laying, spread out on your stomach, means you just fell from 3 flights up and landed with a splat.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4842

- posted      Profile for *           Edit/Delete Post 
They forgot *my* sleeping position! I do have an article I cut out of a magazine that explains it though, and it fits me PERFECTLY. So if anyone else sleeps Flamingo-style, this one's for you:

quote:
Flamingo - On your side or stomach, with one knee bent sharply up and one leg straight out. What it means: You're friendly and sociable, but something in your psyche makes you naturally defensive. Life for you is exciting, since you appreciate extremes of emotion and experience, but those swings can also make you moody and hard to read. You're unsure how to communicate, so yuou tend to bottle things up.
[Smile]
Posts: 353 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a flamingo, most of the time. Thanks, Myr. [Smile]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Me, too. I was annoyed that they didnt' have that one in there. I thought everybody slept like that. [Wink]
wieczorek
Member # 5565

One of my friends sleeps like that. You flamingo people are definetly unpredictable - whenever that friend of mine and I have sleepovers, her leg that's reared and ready to aim always ends up planted on my leg. I must snore or something...

*edited : spelling

[ September 16, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: wieczorek ]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think yearner position means you're on your side, and your arms are outstretched. If that's it, that's how I sleep, but it feels weird if I'm not holding something in my arms. That makes me suspicious, eh.... Hmmm... [Grumble]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

My friend said something one time that kind of makes me think about what you said. She said that when she sleeps she holds her pillow in her arms and when I asked for her reasoning, she said, "Because I'm a mammal." Ofcourse this wasn't what she meant to say, because she didn't understand it herself, but it was really funny at the time.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I either go to sleep on my side, all curled up, or in the "flamingo" position (which seems quite popular...). However, I usually wake up on my back. The rest of the night, I don't know...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Dan_raven.

Explains a lot.

Edit to fix typo.

[ September 16, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean those of us who don't sleep have no personality?
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.