FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Student Ambassador

Author Topic: Student Ambassador
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all. I know I haven't been around lately but I'll try.

I was invited to be a Student Ambassador and visit France, Austria, Switzerland and Italy for 21 days next summer. The cost is more likely going to be around $5000 but since I would like to pursue a career in politics and world affairs, I think it would help me out. Yet, I also want to take chemistry next summer and they might overlap and I can't afford to miss one day of chemistry since I need to finish it in about 6 weeks. It costs about $400 and is at the naerby university.

I would like to attend chemistry now so that I can finish my required science courses and be able to choose other interesting courses instead. As well as keep my mind and thinking skills fresh over the summer.

I was wondering which one should I go to because they're both helpful for me. Also has anyone else been a student ambassador. I know some people who said that it's not what you would expect of it. I don't want to waste $5000 that my parents could use to buy a new computer with and instead use it in disappointment.

Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
you can take chemistry any time.

Go, Travel. I promise you, if you're ready, its worth it.

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definitely go for the travel. You can take clases whenever, but here you have the opportunity to go abroad and see new things. I spent a month in spain two years ago and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Go for it.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Travel. Chemistry is great, but it will be available other summers.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Screw chemistry. Take the trip. ESPECIALLY if your parents will pay for it.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Travel. I learned more in two weeks in England than I did in any three years of school. I think it is important for everyone to travel out of their own country; gives you a whole new perspective on the world.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Maethoriell: This wouldn't happen to be People to People, would it? I was acctually supposed to go to a meeting of theirs, but I am sick, so I couldn't make it. I would suggest just going to the meetings and meeting some of the people who have done the program. From the stuff I get, I think it's an awesome program, and I'm going to try and sign up this year. Good luck with it! Tell me how it goes!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
For the love of all that is holy please PLEASE go on the trip!

Ahem, I apologize for that outburst, but I am amazed that you even have to think about it.

This trip, besides from being a ton of fun, will look great on your college application or any resume. Tons of people have slept through chemistry in summer school, but not many have traveled the world. [Wink]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
There shouldn't even be a question about it. Travel!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
While $5000 is fairly steep for three and a half weeks in Europe, and I'm not familiar with the program in question, I'd imagine that you'll NEVER forget your first long-term trip to another country -- particularly if you leave your parents behind. Compared to simply having to take chemistry a little later, this is really a no-brainer.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Ordinary I hate to agree with everybody, but...
Go and travel. This is a wonderful opportunity. You should take it.
And France is a beautiful country [Wink]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I love chemistry. I have a very large Periodic Table of the elements on my wall, I TA labs, I even work for some profs without pay just because I really enjoy chemistry.

But don't think for a SECOND that I wouldn't drop all of it in an instant to go gallavanting across Europe for a few weeks.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
If this is indeed People to People, do go! I went to Australia with them the summer after 9th grade, and it was spectacular. The high cost is because you usually get to stay in really great hotels. My brothers did the England/Scottland/Wales trip with them the same summer and had excellent experiences as well. [Smile]
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Adding to the pile, travel! What a fantastic opportunity!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I say go -- but only if you're given diplomatic immunity.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
Diplomatic immunity?

Yes this is People 2 People. Idk..to me it seems more of traveling than actually doing things.

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Travel.

Also, consider asking the local Lions Club/VFW/Moose Lodge etc for help with the expense. I did when I was in High School for an educational trip to DC.

While there I met with then VP Bush, Senator Geraldine Ferrarro and other people who have made big news since.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we sum this up as a unanimous concensus of travelling?

Travel! Travel! Travel! Don't turn down an opportunity like that...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister was a Sports ambassador on a trip to Australia and LOVED it!! Go for the trip!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, woman. Go.

There can be no other answer.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.