FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dogears and Puppy Dogtails

Author Topic: Dogears and Puppy Dogtails
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting a topic! Yay! [The Wave] It's not really a very serious topic. A few times I've heard that dogearing a book is disrespectful. I'm kinda too cheap to buy a bookmark, when I can just dogear it. So, I was just wondering if it really is disrespectful and if you guys use bookmarks, or dogear the pages.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up dogears long ago.

Now I just cat ear.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

- posted      Profile for Youth ap Orem   Email Youth ap Orem         Edit/Delete Post 
That's even more disrespectful!
Posts: 290 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally use receipts or other useless scraps for bookmarks even though I get quite a few as gifts. They never seem to be handy.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to peel the price tags off of books I buy and make chains out of them to use as bookmarks. Not only do I not screw up the pages, but it's also a handy little record of what I've been reading lately.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
just in case someone asks? [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Border's gives you free bookmarks when you buy a book. I have a drawer full of them. Of course, I also us post-it notes, mail, or receipts, so . . .
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

Speaking of book accessories. Does anyone own the booklight clip thing. Where you click on this little light so you can read at night where ever you are.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's so much disrespectful as impractical. How do you know which dogear is your place? What if you read the same book over and over? What if others read it as well?

Except if it's a library book it's definitely uncool. Something I do that I'm not supposed to is lay the book down open to hold my spot. Very naughty. I try not to, but I figure it's better than using a dirty candy wrapper for a bookmark.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on whether the book has been previously dog-eared. If it is new-looking, I'll use a bookmark. Actually, I tell a lie. I never use bookmarks, I use scraps of paper or whatever happens to be lying next to me. [Smile]
Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, we have one. The batteries die awfully fast, but they're handy.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
Paperback - dog-ear

Hardback - Any piece of paper I can find.

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

I laid down my COTM book while it was open, and the pages started falling out? Is there anyway to get a refund?
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like when people lay down my books while open. I doubt you could get a refund for it, but I guess maybe if you just did it once, like the first time you read it. MAYBE.
Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I treat my books with respect, they look new after being read several times. Bookmarks.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

I treat my books with love, but I guess i'm just a rough lover, cause after one read, they look worn.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogearing doesn't really bother me, but I can't stand highlighting. I can't do it at all in books I own, and it even bugs me when I see other people's books that are that way.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Youth ap Orem
Member # 5582

Who highlights fiction novels?
Lead
Member # 918

- posted      Profile for Lead   Email Lead         Edit/Delete Post 
Dog-earing a page in a book decreases it's value, just as any damage to the book (creases in pages or covers, tears, missing dust-jackets, damage to bindings, marks on pages, etc) does. While not all of my books are of much resale value, some are, and some might become of value some day, if the condition is good. Of course, I'd sooner remove one of my arms than sell off any of my books, but my general philosophy with books is to treat them gently, and not to damage them in any way I can avoid. This means, among other things, never laying a book face-down while open (and in fact never "cracking" the binding wide open in any manner), and never EVER dog-earing pages. I use whatever scrap of paper I have at hand as bookmarks, even though I have a collection of actual bookmarks. They, however, are an extension of my actual book collection -- I collect bookmarks from all bookstores I purchase from, especially the indipendant and used bookstores, and they're a part of the record of when and where I have obtained my books -- so I don't actually use them.

~~~Lead

Posts: 247 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lead
Member # 918

- posted      Profile for Lead   Email Lead         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I will admit to one exception to my policy on book treatment, and that's highlighting in computer reference texts. I do make notes, highlight important bits, and generally mark them right to hell. I still don't dog-ear, but I'll use post-it tags to mark pages I've made notes on. But I don't consider my computer texts as part of my book collection, but rather as tools of my trade, to be used accordingly.
Posts: 247 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
You know those annoying subscription cards they put in magazines? They make the best bookmarks. [Smile]

I never, ever dogear books. Just can't bring myself to do it. Never have, even when I was a kid.

I do, however, write in books and highlight them. I probably have said this before somewhere around here, but marginal notes and highlights are my way of interacting with a book (only books I own, of course - that should go without saying). I always read with a pen or pencil in my hand, even when I'm reading a novel. The annotations often come in handy when I go back to the book later to find a reference, and when I write book reviews, which I do occasionally.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I think notes in a book makes it much more valuable both to me and to anyone who reads it afterward. I don't usually make any notes on fiction books, but for my textbooks and my technical books, oh yeah! I mark them all up whenever I use them. For instance, if I refer to something and use it, like in my Marks handbook for Mechanical Engineers (which is one of the coolest books of all times) I always mark it, I simplify the formulas in ways that make sense for my application, and usually put a tab on that page too. That way once I've figured something out, I can get my head back in the same state again with much less time and effort. In my job I DO tend to need things again that I've needed once before. I've found notes in books make them worth much more to me. And maybe my biographers [Smile] will appreciate it too. Sort of like Fermat's Last Theorem and cool things like that found in notes in margins of people's books.

I do try to use a bookmark instead of dogearing, though. A sticky note is perfect since it doesn't tend to fall out as easily as any other sort of bookmark. [Smile]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't bring myself to dogear a book (not counting textbooks, of course). However, I hate the bookmarks they sell because they're so oversized. I don't need some enormous hunk of cardboard wrapped in plastic to find my place; in fact, such a bookmark is more likely to fall out, in my experience. Instead, I use little things that have some sentimental value to me, like my ticket to UM's 1998 shocker over UCLA, an old Indigo Girls concert ticket, or my first (expired) Disney World Annual Pass. I have a handful of these things, which I use over and over again, so they're not just random scraps of junk.

Getting weirder now, I actually put several bookmarks in my books. I don't have the attention span to not be daunted by a huge book (though I'm an extemely voracious reader) so I pace myself by leaving a bookmark at the quarter point, which I will move when I get to it to the 1/3 point, then the halfway point, etc. Of course, should I measure by the page or by the chapter? I do both, so at any time, there are three bookmarks in a book I am reading.

I suppose this is a good time to mention I am OC . . .

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I will write in a fiction book is when it contains something that is just plain wrong, most notably a factual error or a typo (or incorrect grammar that does not fall under creative license.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I just remembered that I DO write in fiction books sometimes. If the author uses a word I don't know and I don't have a dictionary handy, I will underline it (assuming I have a pencil handy) and make an arrow you can see on the edge of the page. This way when I DO get near a dictionary or back to my computer I can easily find them again to look them up. Doesn't happen that often but Stephen Donaldson introduced me to a WHOLE BUNCH of cool new words, and so did Neal Stephenson. (Is he the one who wrote The Diamond Age? Whichever Neal that was.) Michael Innis is usually good for a half dozen super awesome new words, too. It always impresses me when an author knows words I don't know, doesn't it you? <laughs>
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.