FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Greatest Opening Lines (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Greatest Opening Lines
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
"Wake up."
-The Sandman

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
"Say your prayers"
-Enter Sandman

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
"Call me Ishmael."

I can't believe nobody posted that yet.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qkslvrwolf
Member # 5768

- posted      Profile for qkslvrwolf   Email qkslvrwolf         Edit/Delete Post 
From Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

...The wind wasn't the beginning, but it was a beginning.

Might be a slight misquote, but its mostly there...

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Good call, Fyfe.

Here's one:

quote:
Two tires fly. Two wail.
A bamboo grove, all chopped down
From it, warring songs

...is the best that Corporal Bobby Shaftoe can do on short notice-- he's standing on the running board, gripping his Springfield with one hand and the rear view mirror with the other, so counting the syllables is out of the question.

...from Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. How can you not love a book that starts with a US Marine spontaneously composing haiku from the running board of a truck careening through Shanghai, 28 Nov. 1941?

[ October 06, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: T. Analog Kid ]

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I found my book. Here's the whole opening paragraph. (this is the best opening I have ever read)

"I will weep no more for the lost, asleep in their watery graves. I have no more tears for my youth in the temple of the brindled ox. Life is strong in me and I will not grieve for what was or might have been. Mine is a different path and I must follow where it leads."
-Taliesin, by Stephen R. Lawhead

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
[edit: I like that Eruve. I've never read anything by Lawhead, I'll have to check him out.]
"Bobby Shaftoe, you have a boo-boo."--Douglas Macarthur Shaftoe.
"Watch out! The sniping had begun."--at a dinner party.
***Warning:Minor spoilers for Cryptonomicon--probably safe though***

"At least I don't write obscure academic articles about beards to break up with my boyfriend."
"Who is this Woe-to-hice all the Brits kept referring to, wondered Waterhouse?"
"Why is Julietta suddenly getting so googly-eyed at the thought of a baby? Snap out of it, woman, there's a war on!" thought Bobby Shaftoe.
"Their bodies merged as effortlessly as two raindrops running down a window."
"Her uncle the smuggler saved the day by literally pulling a diamond ring out of his a$$."
"As Admiral Yamamoto, in flames, shot through the jungle at hundreds of miles per hour strapped to his flight chair, he considered that perhaps attacking Pearl Harbor was not such a great idea."

end spoilers*******
Apologies if the quotes aren't perfect, that's from memory as I can't find my copy. [Grumble]
We may argue about some things TaK, but we can agree that Cryptonomicon is one of the best books published in the last 25 years. Stephanson combines the sublime, the moving and the ridiculous in unique ways. I can't say enough good things about it.

[ October 09, 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Who is John Galt?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.