FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where did my other socks go?

Author Topic: Where did my other socks go?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I need help for a play I am writing, and would be very much obliged if you people could offer your suggestions... [Smile] (because you're all so talented and full of ideas, as we already know; I've already been stared at like a loony by even my usually tolerant and understanding friends)

I need to find a seemingly trivial unexplained mystery that could potentially twist the fate of the living. (sounds complicated, isn't.)

Like: Where do my other socks go?

What is the little mystery that if explained could potentially "change the world"?

(and in honour of talk like a pirate day: "aaarrrrrr!")

[ September 19, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a sacrifice to the sock God. Doesn't everyone know that?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Where's my left shoe? Maybe some super terrorist stole EVERYBODY'S left shoes and it's winter so people can't just walk around barefoot. To cram your foot into a right shoe or walk around with your feet at different heights, that is the question.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
You see, it's like this...every clothes dryer comes equipped with either a black hole or a white hole. If your dryer has a black hole, socks occasionally disappear. They turn up, interstingly enough, in other dryers - the ones equipped with a white hole.

No one has explained yet why these cosmic anomalies prey on socks, and not on other kinds of clothing. It isn't completely certain that the holes don't sometimes swallow larger items, but if they do it is a much rarer phenomenon. We may never know; the government has quietly begun turning down grants proposed to study this phenomenon.

Those of a conspiratorial turn of mind believe that this is because government scientists have discovered a way of controlling the phenomenon and are engaged in collecting socks for some as-yet-undisclosed reason. It has been proposed that this reason is that they are endeavoring to prevent the Red Hot Chili Peppers from performing on stage only in strategically-placed socks ever again, but this theory has yet to gain a following among top researchers.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mainstream
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for Mainstream   Email Mainstream         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make any sound?" The answer is, of course, yes, but then the other trees come over and help it back up [Smile]
Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Flame
Member # 5556

- posted      Profile for Celtic Flame   Email Celtic Flame         Edit/Delete Post 
Socks have a funny way of becoming sentient and walking out the door.
Posts: 149 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Other mysteries:

Where are all the berry bagels?

What is the true nature of this keyboard?

Why oh why do people keep posting, emailing, and IMing this "study"??

Where are all the baby pigeons?

What really happens if you feed birds rice?

Should dihydrogen monoxide be banned?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually tempted to use the berry bagel thread idea now you bring it up...

Questions: so what DOES happen to all the berry bagels? And if I knew, how would that affect the life and death of the human race?

Are there no berry bagels at all? Is it a myth?

I thought of something else too: Is it only a myth that you will ever feel old (or 'grown up')? If the answer to this was discovered, that would definately change life and death...

Berry Bagels or the Adult Myth?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the site about DHMO. I find it even funnier that everything they say is probably true (to a certain extent). The real question is, should we ban water?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Julie the "ban DHMO" campaign has been going on for about 10 years now, in various forms. I used to give a copy of it to my chem students shortly after we learned about naming compounds, and wait for someone to figure it out.

The best use of this was by a clever junior high student in 1997.

As for the berry bagels, I have had some -- I know they exist.

But when I went into the local bagel place on Friday, they had none -- but lots of the other flavors . . . *cues TZ theme*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.