FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The names of the characters in this book I'm reading are just cracking me up

Author Topic: The names of the characters in this book I'm reading are just cracking me up
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell, the names aren't supposed to be funny, but how does this strike you?

The book is "L. A. Dead" by Stuart Woods and it is a murder mystery (one of my favorite genre's). So the main character's name is Stone Barrington who is a lawyer and has a practice in New York. He is helping an old girl friend who is under suspicion of murdering her husband. Her name is Arrington. He still carries a torch for her and she is apparently still interested in him, but I know that this relationship just can't ever end up at the alter. I mean, what person in her right mind (oh wait, she may not be) would want a moniker of Mrs. Arrington Barrington? [Big Grin]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always secretly hoped I could marry someone with the last name of Morgan, so I could be Anneke Morgan Morgan.

Call me crazy.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
You're crazy. [Wink]

Oh, and I prefer not to make fun of character names anymore. Why, you ask? Because in my favorite books their are characters names: Bilbo, Dink Meeker, Gandalf, and Bean. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

quote:
Oh, and I prefer not to make fun of character names anymore. Why, you ask? Because in my favorite books their are characters names: Bilbo, Dink Meeker, Gandalf, and Bean.
But Javert, if Woods was writing these books, he'd have someone with a name of String have the hots for Bean, Eeker have the hots for Meeker, and I don't want to go near the name Bilbo... well, you get the picture. [Big Grin]
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad's boss, Mr. Kane, invited my dad over for dinner. My dad shows up and the boss introduces his daugher, Kandy.

My dad laughed. The boss was serious. [Eek!]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't beat Hiro Protagonist.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

I just found Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing [Evil] What are people thinking [Confused]
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The girl I lost my virginity to was named Holly Wood.

I thought that was interesting.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD:
[ROFL]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] [ROFL]

That page is so funny!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the name -Simone Isabella. And I find the name Mirtle to be rather funny because of one of the Anne of Green Gables movies.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody seen The Wedding Singer? Julia Goolia. [Smile]
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Julia Goolia!!!!!

[ROFL]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I read so much fantasy/Sci-fi and watch so much anime that weird, made-up names are starting to seem normal....

I actually consider names like Shesta, Dalet, Ender, Daine, Tania, Duo et cetera to be normal...

Pray for me.... O_o;;;

Edit: Strike that... Pray for my future child...

[ September 21, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

In defense of the weird names of the sci-fi books, in sci-fi lingo that's normal. Anyway, the nicks in Ender's Game are normal too as that wasn't their real names, but nicks the kids gave themselves or each other. For example, Ender was a result of Valentine saying Ender instead of Andrew as she could not say his name correctly when he was born.

Also, Stuart Woods is a main stream mystery writer, and the book isn't called Alpha frelling Centuri Dead [Evil Laugh]

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked the name Xander, but I would never in a million years name a child that.

Of course, I might just have to name him Alexander and convince him that Xander is a really cool nickname. [Wink]

Oh yeah, and LOVED the baby name page! [ROFL]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

These people are killing me with these crazy spellings... All these Ys and Is.
I wonder if this person would consider my name funny... no one can pronounce it without putting Us and As and other such letters that don't belong there. [Mad]

unohoo
Member # 5490

Okay, here's another link for funny names [Big Grin]
Member # 4842

- posted      Profile for *           Edit/Delete Post 
Those are horribly great. Still one of the worst I've seen is a friend's coworker, Dick Seemann.

(wow, i spelt worst wrong.)

[ September 22, 2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: * ]

Posts: 353 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to high school with a girl named Lily Recksik. (I think that's how the last name was spelled.) Her two younger sisters were named Mary and Anna.

That's right. Anna Recksik. Seriously. Don't ask me why.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL... That's excellent...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What were some people's parents THINKING?

I mean, we had a near one with naming one kid. Thank goodness we always sounded out all possibilities!

And she can be grateful we did not name her Ahuva Fraida. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my english teacher once said he had a student who used the penname Craven Moorehead. He didn't quite get it until he said it out loud. [ROFL]
Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

Polemarch,
quote:
Yeah, my english teacher once said he had a student who used the penname Craven Moorehead. He didn't quite get it until he said it out loud.
Reminds me of something that happened many years ago. Someone I knew was attempting to write a romance novel/story and was trying to come up with a unique name for the male hero, it had to sound {cough} masculine {cough}. After much thinking and searching, and trying different combinations, she decided on a strong sounding one syllable name: Drek [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] I about died laughing and had to tell her that the name she choose was yiddish for crap.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.