FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MAFIA DAY 2: Arthur Finds Sir Bedivere (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: MAFIA DAY 2: Arthur Finds Sir Bedivere
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
'cause humans aint like computers. If you think you can predict them, they'll just surprise you every time.

Thank you for trying to get your reveal in time. I have to leave shortly.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I can't predict humans, at least those who don't care about staying alive. [Smile]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
See, here's my deal... I think Msquared may just be Mafia and that HDD was thrown out as a sacrificial lamb by the Mafioso. Msquared continues posting as a policeman, secure that he won't be lynched by the townies and secure that the Mafia won't gack him either.

Each day he can just pick a person from the list of suspects that he knows isn't Mafia and simply say that his "investigation" turned up nothing. At worst he can do the same for the Mafioso on the list. In the meantime, most smart police quietly ask questions and try to narrow down the field, playing the long game allowing both the town lynchings and the mafia hits to narrow the choices.

But I could be wrong as well. Hey, 'tis just a game and the Mafia know who they are and who they aren't. It's odd that Msquared didn't say who his investigation had cleared though...

Edit to add: There was also the blatant attempt to get the doctor to come out of hiding made by Msquared. Tsk tsk tsk... if you are police, Msquared, you're way to focused on a quick win that won't happen.

[ September 23, 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

What I said. And I thought the same thing about the not revealing his findings!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sopwith, you could be right.

Or you could be mafia.

Or you could be wrong, but still be a townie.

I happen to think #2 has the best odds.

As for why not to ID someone as definitely being a townie, I can think of several reasons. They would be a tempting target for the mafia -- and it's not like they *glares at Erik* could just try to get them lynched.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

And make a target for the mafia of the one other person the townies can trust?

I have contacted the person cleared and if I am given the ok I will give the name. If not, I will honor that persons choice.

When I am killed by the mafia tonight you will see.

Unless the mafia tries to make me look bad by leaving me alive. But everyone I have accused,albiet there has only been one so far, has been guilty. I think it unlikely that the mafia would sacrifice one of thier own this early in the game.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

I would. VOTE FOR ME!!!!
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Woah! Dying of natural causes!?
I guess I just kinda got carried away in the game yesterday, having too much fun watching, didn't realize I hadn't posted!

Sopwith, interesting Idea. Sounds like something m^2 would do, seeing as he already said he wanted the doctor NOT to save him last night.

Well, I will get back and vote soon.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, i'd think it would be in the police's best interests to not reveal that name. would the mafia hit the innocent person, or would they add that name to the list of "not a cop" in narrowing the field of choices?

on the other hand, announcing that person would make them the next representative for the police to use, when something happens to m2, and we'd know who to listen to next.

of course, i guess they don't need that representative until they have identified another mafia member...and then we're back to having to decide if they're telling us the truth...

to be honest, if m2 had flat out said "x is a townie" i would probably have suggested we lynched "x" just to see if m2 could indeed be trusted. but he didn't. and i'm still not sure jeni didn't mean to imply his policlyhood in her lynch post.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think we should be suspicious of msquared.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
I love this game; it cracks me up! [ROFL]

Wow, I can't believe I'm actually going to defend m2. Not for the reasons he has in not posting the person who is cleared, but in the action itself. While I don't think posting the name makes them a prime suspect for the mafia (wouldn't they be trying to find someone that is police or the doctor instead of just a lowly citizen?), posting the name would narrow down the field for the mafia on who could be a potential policeman. Unless of course the police were really clever and posted one of their own as checked. That person would then have credibility, immunity from lynching by the townies, and the mafia would be fooled into thinking they were only a citizen and not police.

Am I making any sense to anyone?

And if a person the police has already cleared comes up for a lynching, the police could always bring forth the name then. But only if it seems they are actually going to get lynched, not if they just get mentioned as a suspect and maybe get a couple votes.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good points, celia. I agree.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you guys know how much this is killing me...

Monty Python and Mafia in one big huge roll...

And I wasn't able to post a single MP reference.

Well, guess what!? I get to have my own little fun now.

Spam, spam, eggs and cheese. And muffins.

"I'm not quite dead."

Nobody expects the mafia! It is their chief element: surprise... and terror. Their two chief elements are surprise and terror.... and fanatical devotion to the GodFather. Their 3 chief elements are...

We're the mafia of the round table,
Our deaths are formidable
But many times,
We're given crimes,
That are quite unescapable.
They die well here in Hatrack
And we stuff you into a sack!

You're mafia.
No I'm not.
Yes you are.
No, I'm not.
YES, you ARE.
No, I'm not.
Are.
Aren't.
Are.
Aren't.

Bring out yer dead!!

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

I'm just happily pointing fingers saying "Without proof, it could be any of you..."

It's bad to trust early in this game or to assure that you've got it locked down at any point. It's all a process of elimination.

You silly English kuh-nig-its!

(Another cow is lobbed over the fortress walls).

[ September 23, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Sopwith ]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh! It's a ghost! [Eek!]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

Blimey, I've wet my chainmail again!
Zevlag
Member # 1405

::applauds T::

aren't.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

[Laugh] Sopwith

That was great. It almost made me wet MY chainmail.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] ---> Tea Smith

That was excellent!

(Thanks all of you who said this stuff makes you laugh. It's very hard to tell in writing it whether or not it's funny. Especially after I've read it 18 times. And it's hard not to cross the line and end up with humor ala Airplane! which I probably did with the Village People reference in HDD's story.)

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o There was a village people reference!? (runs to read it again)

LOL.... OK, now THAT was funny.

Edit: Disclaimer: Last comment is not said to mean that the rest of the piece was not also funny.

[ September 23, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Let the record show that Damander said:
quote:
Okay guys, enough of this no voting thing. Can't you see how utterly ridiculous it all is?. It's not supposed to be that easy for the townies to win...I don't want to hear anymore of this "no voting" strategy!
and in another thread she said:
quote:
I still think all this not voting stuff is completly lame. Why are we trying to cheat the system?..I think the rule should be you die of natuaral causes if you don't vote, not if you don't post...we're never going to find a mafioso if we keep this no lynching thing up
and yet, SHE did not vote yesterday. AT ALL.

I will be back later. And I am going to vote for someone. (hint hint) I hope you all do a little research for yourselves. If you're going to vote, let's do it together and make it count for something. 29 votes for someone random won't kill anyone but a townie.

(and I know that my vote might kill a townie too, but at least it'll be an educated guess!!)

[Hat] jeni...this is a great game and your montypythonisms are slaying us all!! [Wink] I feel bad that kwsni isn't playing. That would be too ironic! [Wink]

[ September 23, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

Narnia, you forgot to mention where I got mad at m2 for then asking us to vote and said I was not voting just to spite him. He seems to have crawled under my skin this game. (Nothing personal m2)

Edit to add: I knew my not voting wouldn't have any effect on if HDD got lynched or not, so I knew I wasn't affecting the game negatively by not voting.

[ September 23, 2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Damander ]

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm really torn.

I agree with Narnia -- I think Damander is mafia.

OTOH, I think Erik is too. And he voted for me! [Razz] But then he took that vote back, and voted for himself. But that might just be to throw us off the scent. [Wall Bash]

[ September 23, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

Maybe he's just lost the will to live. [Frown]

Eslaine: You're not dead yet!!! You're getting better!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I think Erik is just a bit off his rocker and possibly a danger to himself. [Razz] I kind of think he's a citizen that is a little insane.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

OR -- does he just want us to THINK that, Narnia?
Narnia
Member # 1071

*looks suspiciously around*

rivka, you're making me jump at my own shadow!! You're the queen of not trusting anyone! [Wink]

Well, we'll see which one of us kicks the bucket tomorrow (if it's not m2). Then we'll know that one of us is right. [Wink]

[ September 23, 2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

Narnia, I wish Becky was playing too. But I have some thoughts to do tribute to her when I do the Knights Who Say Ni! scene.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, now that we all know HDD's dirty, I'm more inclined to belive M2. Maybe not completely, but about 90%. I still don't like the idea of abstaining, because a) it's the only power we citizens have and b) it makes the game more interesting. I also realize that if there is just one vote, then that one vote will be lynched, so it really doesn't matter if 99.99% of us abstain on principle because the one person who doesn't will end up controlling the lynchings. If you think about it, it's a very, very bad thing, because the mafia will take it and run with it.

My suspect list includes eslaine and Sopwith, because Erik's was the first vote yesterday and Soppy's today, both after M2 urged abstinence.

[ September 23, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, now that we all know HDD's dirty
But I showered today.

It wasn't me.

Yes, yes I am and my wife enjoys it.

(I could keep going but I will stop, for now)

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't even dignify that with a response.

Except maybe this one: [Razz] You're a dead mafia and I'm a living townie!

[ September 23, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

Ok I have informed the known townie of the ID of the other police. That way when I die the other police will not have as much hassel.

msquared

Ryuko
Member # 5125

My God, MM, what if they were the Godfather!?!?
Zevlag
Member # 1405

Ryuko has a point there.

That could be disastrous.

[ September 23, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Feyd Baron
Member # 1407

- posted      Profile for Feyd Baron   Email Feyd Baron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we'll know soon enough about that, now won't we?

I'm going to abstain from voting for the moment. I have suspisions, and a grudge or two, but I'd rather those not lead to my untimely demise.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1000 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Please BOLD your votes so I can find them easily.

Right now, I have 2 for Eslaine and 1 for hansenj. Holler at me if I have that wrong.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

:: [Confused] ::

We're playing with the Godfather?

msquared
Member # 4484

If we were I would not have told the townie.

Jeni has not mentioned it, one way or another.

If there is a Godfather than God rest my soul and those of my fellow police.

msquared

jamaha
Member # 4874

- posted      Profile for jamaha           Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, sorry, I didn't get to a computer until too late yestderday. I think I'll refrain from voting now, but I'll be back before the deadline to post my vote.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I'm voting for hansenj so there will be a tie and a 50/50 chance of noone getting lynched. My reasons is in my above post.

Edit: unboldening my vote

[ September 23, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Zevlag
Member # 1405

Just to make this boat tip back and forth I will vote for ESlaine. Since I have not seen conclusive evidence for either individual. And a vote, hoping for good, is better than a lazy citizen. Though I will probably be back to change.
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be contrary I vote hansenj that way nobody gets lynched because I doubt either are mafia.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

Woo hoo! History repeats!
Narnia
Member # 1071

I remind you all of my evidence against Damander. (It's a few posts up and it's pretty condemning...) hansenj was Sopwith's random pick. Sopwith didn't even VOTE yesterday when a mafia was going down. Think about THAT. And sarcasticmuppet voted, but it was totally random. Come to think of it, Ryan Hart's vote yesterday was random too. Go check it out! We have some serious mafia here. They only agree when it's a townie going down. I think hansenj has been picked by the mafia and that she's innocent. We don't have anything conclusive about anyone, but I think the evidence leans more towards Damander than it does Erik at this point.

Damander

C'mon townies. Pull together. If you all agree on another person that MAKES SENSE and could be mafia, I'll change my vote.

[ September 23, 2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

sorry, but unless Damander gets a few more votes I'm not gonna risk changing it. And my votes aren't random, I've given reason for them both times. [Mad]

Note: Zevlag broke the tie, and Ryan Hart tipped it back. Hmmmm...

Edit: 'ramdom' isn't a word, stupid. [Roll Eyes]

[ September 23, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

I vote Damander
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

3 eslaine, 3 hansenj, and 2 Damander.

I'm now officially changing my vote to Damander. There's still a tie, but I feel better voting for him, somehow.

Now it's 3 eslaine, 3 Damander, and 2 hansenj.

jamaha
Member # 4874

- posted      Profile for jamaha           Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I went back and read Damander's posts, and I absolutely do not think she is mafia. Why would a mafioso be so obvious?? I think she was acting more out of a dislike for m2 than anything else. I think YOU are mafia and just trying to find an easy target to lynch to break the whole hansenj/Erik Slaine thing. I vote Narnia.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

Thanks, jamaha! We can be friends. [Smile]

Um, SM? I'm a GIRL. It's okay, it happens to the best of us. [Big Grin]

Edit to add: I vote for Narnia

[ September 23, 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Damander ]

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

grr.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.