FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PacNW Get-Together (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: PacNW Get-Together
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The second signing is at 7:00, jeniwren. Will Rayne be ok waiting in line that long?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but that's what Daddies are for. [Big Grin]

We bought my husband a new car today (2002 Trailblazer), so I expect that he'll be happy to do a lot of things for me in the next few days. [Smile] I am thinking that we may meet up at 2 with my whole family, then by 5:30, they'll want to go, and I can hang out and beg a ride back to Gresham from one of you guys.

In return, if anyone needs a ride to the airport on Sunday at around noon, I think we can do that. I have to fly directly out of PDX to go work in Denver for a week, and have to be there around then.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Since we're going to 2 signings, does that mean we can get 4 things signed?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You might be able to get more than that, even. Call the bookstore(s) -- the one I was at had a policy of 4. OTOH, except for the woman who had 20! copies of Crystal City, they let people with lots of books get 'em all signed. It may have been only as long as it was just a signature they wanted. [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the site Narnia referred to me that told what the procedure was for these signings is that if you want a lot of stuff signed, you get a few things signed, go back to the end of the line, get a few more signed, go back to the end of the line, repeat as needed. That way if there aren't many people there you can get as many things signed as you want, or if there are a lot of people there, everybody gets something signed.

These will be the first signings I've attended at bookstores(have been to one on campus) and I'm wondering how it will change how the bookstore does business...I'm wondering what OSC will speak about at the second signing as well...

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Jonny, that's the theory. But at the signing I was at on Tuesday, the practice did not exactly follow the theory. [Dont Know] YMMV
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Is 2:00 early enough? If the signing starts at 3, it means getting from SE to the Washington Square area in less than an hour. Ordinarily no problem, but we're talking a Saturday in November. I used to work down there, and it gets really nuts this time of year.

And the Beaverton Powell's is really small, so arriving early might not be a bad idea.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
We weren't planning actually to go to the first signing...that is at a different Powell's store all the way over on the other side of town. I think we all misunderstood...we (Ralphie and I) were planning on heading to the downtown Powell's to hang around that afternoon. (That's the big huge cool one.)

BUT! If you all want to go to both signings, than who am I to spoil that? I wouldn't mind it. If a group of people didn't want to go, they could always split up and meet at the evening signing downtown.

What do you guys think? (Ralphie?)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't see the appeal of two signings.

I was just planning on doing the evening one.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I kind of agree with Ralphie. When I called the bookstores, I heard that he would be speaking at the Borders evening signing, so it will probably be a good one.

Votes Everyone?? Two signings or one??

We've got two votes for one signing. [Big Grin]

And of course, you can always just go to both if you want to!! Maybe we can all just hook up for dinner if the group is split up. Corvalis crew (Nato and Shigosei's fam), were you planning on doing both signings?

(Jonny, if you want my address, you'd better email me. I don't see your email addy in your profile. [Smile] )

[ November 14, 2003, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Annie. *Looks aroung confused* Ohh I see, you thought I actually cared what we do when I get to see Annie. [ROFL]

[Razz] [Wink] [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Hobbes, you do realize that if you keep this up around me I will be forced to give you a wedgie of such magnitude that your grandchildren will be telling their grandchildren about it.

You have been warned.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Narnia, I left my email address on page 5 of this thread and thought you saw it. I will email you and edit my profile.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

At least after this wedgie I'll still be capable of having grandchildren...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to talk to Nato about it, but with this virus, I may want to go to the 7:00 signing only, no other activities. We'll have to see how I feel on Saturday.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:

Don't test me out under the false assumption that this makes in any way less painful. There are many forms of punishment and torture that leave the victim still capable of bearing children.

Physically.

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

quote:
Hobbes, you do realize that if you keep this up around me I will be forced to give you a wedgie of such magnitude that your grandchildren will be telling their grandchildren about it.
I'm guessing a wedgie of that magnitude may prevent him from ever having children let alone grandchildren. But maybe he'll adopt! [Smile]

Personally, I just wanna spectate so I can tell my grandchildren about it and they can tell theirs! It'll be turned into a song and become more popular than "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and will be sung by firelight while awestruck listeners marvel at the tensile strength of Hobbes' underpants...

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nearly november 15th! The game is afoot!

I'm actually going to be in Portland tomorrow night (Friday) for an Ozma concert with some friends. So I'll have a lot of Portland this weekend.

And if Shigosei's too sick to do too much, well, my family wants to see me this weekend too. I was in Corvallis for a night last weekend and managed to see none of them at all. I also need a haircut. Hopefully I can get that tomorrow or Saturday morning. I wouldn't want OSC seeing me scruffy!

So, how many of you are bringing digital cameras? I'm going to try to borrow one. And if Shigosei's too sick to do a whole lot, I'll at least want pictures of those delicious crepes.

See you soon, everybody!

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*uses hands to make shadow-deer on the wall*

Actually, the game is a hand.

Nato
Member # 1448

quote:
After this wedgie you'll have to skip straight to grandchildren.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Duhhh.. :brain atrophy:

Sorry, I thought everyone was intent on the Beaverton Powell's signing. Sounds like Borders is the place to be.

BTW, the gelato shop on the block W of the downtown Powell's (DP) is called Mio Gelato. $2.95 for 1 scoop, $3.95 for 2. Last time I was there they had about 20 flavors.

DP? What time?

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Narnia, I'm going to have to use your internet acess a few times to get and turn in all homework that my proffesors have loaded me with this weekend. [Mad] [Grumble] [Mad]

I hope that's OK... [Angst]

Hobbes [Smile]

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

Arghhhhh! Narnia hasn't emailed me yet and i'm starting to freak out! Yeaahhhhgggggggggghhhh! [Angst] [Eek!]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm outta here, heading for Portland. See y'all tomorrow!!

Cecily, I'll call you to find out where we're meeting tomorrow and when. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

If you need to, JNSB - You can e-mail me and I'll send you her info.

See you tomorrow, Jeni [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I loathe you all. *sniff*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

We love you, too, Katharina! (*whisper* why is she speaking in that strange lisp?)
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Okay, kids. I finally have the meeting place address. Sorry it took so long.

If anyone needs to, feel free to e-mail me and I'll send out my phone number for directions.

The address:

Fireside Coffee Lodge
1223 SE Powell Blvd.
Portland, OR 97202

My address, again, is dandadodge@comcast.net. I'll be checking it tonight and calling you, at the latest, tomorrow morning.

Hope to see everyone there tomorrow around 2:00p. [Smile]

[ November 14, 2003, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
This is horrible! This is pathetic! I am missing the opportunity to drive to Portland with a person who actually knows about the song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia?"

WAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Bwah! Even as I type, Narnia is headed my way to pick me up and go get Nate and Annie (and Hobbes, later on).

[Big Grin]

"It has begun..."

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
I expect a full report within the next two hours and it better mention someone giving Uncle Orson a good talking to tell him to get his little hinney over to Madison!
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Well, T_Smith and I already have some pics. And we're VERY cute and adowable in all of them.

Except the last one. Where I'm pretty sure Nathan is considering ways to dismember me and hide my body in the floorboards.

Enjoy. [Smile]

Zotto!
Member # 4689

That was timely...

Had a FRICKIN' hilarious dinner with Narnia (smooches for picking my sorry bum up!), Narn's sis, Ralphie'n'Dan, Nate and Annie. Picked up Hobbes later. He was tired.

Yes, I had to chaperone Annie and Hobbes in the backseat.

TOMORROW! Almost...there...

[ November 15, 2003, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

OOOhhh. Crepes. Please come and help us eat them. There's still a couple hours and we made TONS! Annie is the master crepist. [Big Grin]

Yeah, I'm a bum, I didn't take pictures of our hilarious dinner last night, but I LOVE everyone and we were also privileged to hang out with Ralphie's hilraious husband Dan. [Smile]

I'm sorry for those I didn't email...I wasn't online at all yesterday. I hope you got the info. I'm calling jeniwren now with the address of our meeting place. I'm excited to see the rest of you guys!!!

[Big Grin]

MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

Here are the first photos from the Fireside Coffee Lodge. I'll add more photos later.
rivka
Member # 4859

Help! I don't know who 3/4 of those people are without captions or something. [Wink]

Actually, oddly enough, the four I do recognize form a diagonal line. O_o

Ok, in that last pic, who's who, please?

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Front row: OSC
Second row: Jeniwren, Ralphie
Third row: Me, Narnia's sister, T_Smith, Shigosei
Fourth row: Zotto!, Narnia, Annie, Nato
Fifth row: JohnnyNotSoBravo, Hobbes

Hope that clears things up!

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks!!!

Had to be a smart alec, hmm? [Wink]
quote:
Front row: OSC
But you make a good point, I had recognized FIVE people in the picture. [Razz]

Didn't jeniwren's hair used to be a different color? And if that is she, then the baby in the earlier pic IS hers -- but I don't see a cast? [Confused]

I am SOOO jealous! TWELVE Hatrackers at the signing!

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

There was also MoonRabbit, who took the picture, and Crystal from the other side, who came down from Alaska.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

And yes, jeniwren did some stuff to her hair. I think she dyed part of it blue. And her daughter, Rayne I think, is in a cast. It is just hard to tell from the picture.

[ November 16, 2003, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Mr.Funny ]

Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, i was there. It was nice meeting all of you Hatrackers! [Smile]
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

Oh, and if any of you jatraqueros other than T_Smith had misconceptions about me, I am NOT, I repeat NOT a Southern woman. Just clarification. [Roll Eyes]
Zotto!
Member # 4689

I, of course, thought you were a middle-aged southern MAN, but it's nice to have that cleared up. [Razz]

It was totally awesome to meet you guys! [Smile]

[ November 16, 2003, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

Did anyone tell OSC to come to Wisconsin?
:: eagerly looks foward to more pictures ::
I really wish I was there with all of you.

Satyagraha

[ November 16, 2003, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: BYuCnslr ]

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

That was quite a lot of fun!

Thanks to everybody organizing it, thanks to Shigosei's parents for the ride up to Portland, thanks to everybody there, and thanks to the Cards for coming to Portland!

I'm looking forward to the next NW gathering.

Edit: Yes, Bernard. You can thank Narnia for that. We missed you!

[ November 16, 2003, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Nato ]

SingerGuy59
Member # 5934

- posted      Profile for SingerGuy59   Email SingerGuy59         Edit/Delete Post 
<pout> When I finished reading Crystal City online and found out there was a signing right in my back yard, I should have gotten back on this board days ago and reaquainted myself with all the local Hatrackers. I was at the Beaverton signing but would have gone to the Portland one as well, just to meet f2f with new friends. I usually don't take the time to do much Forum'ing (new word, write it down) these days, but used to be extremely active in it.

Hmmm, maybe time to reopen that part of my life?

FWIW, I believe I can say that I have read every single published book Uncle Orson has written (including both versions of Treason) except First Meetings and Rebekah.

SingerGuy

Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Aw, I'm sorry that we didn't get to meet you!!! But, now we know that you're close by, we'll be sure to get us all together again soon. [Wink]

I had a really really great time yesterday and I wanted everyone to know that I am so forever going to flatten anyone I meet that thinks online friendships aren't "real." This just might be the 'friendliest' day that I've been a part of. (And that's even aside from Annie and Hobbes!! [Big Grin] [Wink] ) I learned new names for the hatrack smilies (i.e. geriatric party smilie), I learned some VERY interesting things about Nathan and his preoccupation with orange, slimming, control top tights. I learned Jonny's email address, phone number, last name, social security number, [Wink] the works! (thanks to Ralphie for hooking him up with the info!) I met cool spouses of hatrackers, like jeniwren's husband, Ralphie's husband, MoonRabbit's wife...and Shigosei and Mr. Funny's parents were really cool too. I leared that the city of Portland is absolutely gorgeous in the fall, partly because I had a someone in my back seat the whole weekend who had never experienced a 'colored-leafy-falling-chilly-blustery' fall before...and he LOVED it. Thanks Zotto!! (with an explanation point or a thwack.) [Smile]

And, obvious as it may seem to the rest of you, I learned firsthand that OSC is ridiculously personable, generous with his time, ideas, advice, humor and talent...and that he's tons of fun in general. And kacard is absolutely the cutest and most loving person I've had the privilege of meeting in the longest time.

I miss everyone already, though I'm lucky enough to have Annie and Hobbes for another day. [Smile] This was a great vacation weekend for me. More pictures to be posted soon! Thanks to MoonRabbit for the pics he posted!

[ November 16, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Abrynne
Member # 5826

- posted      Profile for Abrynne   Email Abrynne         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwww Ralphie! Those pics of you and T are so adorable!!

And now having met him in person I have to say that T, you have the eyes but other than that you don't look like Hayden Christensen.

This is my first big OSC signing/get together and I really enjoyed it. Everyone is so hilarious and layed back and I'm very glad that Narnia asked me to be a part of it. So I guess I am here to stay for a while.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

:: GLOMPS NARNIA ::
Thank you!!!!
Possibly a meeting in Seattle? I'll be in Seattle around December 20 to Janurary 10ish maybe, I may or may not go back to Oregon...though I will if I can just to go to Powell's.
Satyagraha

Abrynne
Member # 5826

- posted      Profile for Abrynne   Email Abrynne         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm vain...I look terrible! Different pictures, different pictures! Say it aint so! LOL
Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.