FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PacNW Get-Together (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: PacNW Get-Together
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding.

Yikes.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I quite like the stoned-and-constipated-at-the-same-time look I have going in every pic.

But that's just me.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back!

I had a deleriously fun weekend!

What's cooler than bashing around Portland with such incredibly hip people?
Ralphie is Madam Kick in the Shorts - I love her! (and I am among the privileged few who got to meet Dan)
T Smith scored me an excellent seat and some awesome conversation on the plane
Zotto is one of the coolest Jatraqueros out there, and an art student to boot!
Johnny not so Bravo is a funny, friendly guy and it was great to meet him.
Nato and Shigosei and Mr. Funny are fabulous and I'm wishing I would have gotten a little more time to chat with them, but I was in line getting books signed. (silly!)
Jeniwren and her family are awesome - her kids are adorable, and she has the coolest blue hair ever!
Moon Rabbit is great and brought sushi and real wasabi and as luck would have it I had the worst tummyache ever and couldn't try it. [Frown] I blamed it on the fact that I didn't want wasabi breath and got a knowing look from Ralphie.

Narnia and Abrynne - I owe you guys and your family SO MUCH! These gals are great and beautifully accomodating and I love them.

And speaking of loving people...
I got to spend all weekend with my Hobbesy!
[Kiss] [Kiss] [Kiss]

Thanks to everyone for putting up with the overload of sap. We really couldn't help it though, I promise.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on getting the pictures uploaded to the internet. Sorry for the long wait!

I loved meeting everyone at the get-together. I wish that I could have had more time to talk to everyone. Ah, well, perhaps next time I won't be so sick.

I really have to go finish my homework now. I don't regret for one minute going to the signing, but it means a lot more work for me this week.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm soooo jealous. I wanted to be there.
My excuse? Paul was in Seattle the 12th to the 14th, and I Jake's birthday was the 14th.

Alas, I kept the home fires burning... but dang it! I missed meeting Narnia, Annie and Jeniwren. And I just miss Ralphie in general.

Ah well... I'll try to live vicariously through the commentaries and photos.

:::clears throats and says sweetly:::

More commentaries and photos please.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa. Toni's a fox.

Grr, baby. Grr.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimo
Member # 5933

- posted      Profile for Kimo   Email Kimo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well after finding this web site on Friday, going to a book signing on Saturday and meeting many many of you, I find myself with a log in a name a quasi understanding of how this bulletin board thing works.

What have you gotten me into?

If I was smart I would probably take Raphies advice and be a lurker for a while, but what would be the fun in that?

Remember I swim with sharks.

I was good meeting you all. I trust you all got home safely regardless how far you came from.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
It was great meeting you too. I hope your Hatrack experience is as good as most of ours have been.

I just saw one of Shigosei's pictures. I have evil looking red eyes. I think it calls for a little digital alteration before it can be safely shown to the public.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't slept in 24 hours (or eaten anything other than a bit of plane food in 20 hours) so I'm not really in a condition to comment on anything except to say that everyone was great! I'm afraid that due to sickness I didn't say much, and Annie is right, we couldn't help it. [Big Grin] [Kiss]

Hey Narnia, guess what. I left my homework in your house (probably not as much of a mistake as I would like to think). Can you send it to me if I give you an adress? I can definitly send back money to pay for it... [Embarrassed]

Ohh, and as we had previously discussed, KACard is incredibly sweet and kind and OSC rocks. Thank-you very much.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ November 18, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks to everyone for putting up with the overload of sap. We really couldn't help it though, I promise.
I suddenly don't feel quite so bad about having to work this weekend.

On the bright side, Hobbes, Annie is apparently having a positive effect on your speeling praughblems.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
First I'm going to beat up Frisco, then I'm going to email some pictures ( I only got like three decent ones ) to Ralphie. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Hey, has OSC's e-mail changed? I tried e-mailing them the pictures from the signing, but it bounced.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Shig:

For his *real* e-mail, see this thread from the other side.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

The whole weekend was one of the best I've had in a LONG while.

EVERYONE was awesome!

Hobbes and Annie were delirious with warm'n'fuzziness. It was great. Kudos, you two. [Big Grin] Narnia and her sis were the best gals ever for haulin' my butt around. Ralphie and Dan were perpetually hilarious. T Smith is disturbingly normal in person. Except for the orange tights, anyway. JohnnyNotSoBravo was tall. Really, really cool, but also very tall. Nato was awesome to hang out with, 'specially at Powell's (come back to Portland, punk! Now!) and Shigosei and Mr. Funny are related. This I did not know. Mr. Funny is so NOT a southern woman, although I DID almost mistake him for a southern MAN. Shigosei is witty and pretty, but probably too young for me and T_Smith to hit on. Jeniwren et al were SO COOL! Blue-pink hair! Moon Rabbit got pictures of me looking deeply philosophical in a sitting-on-the-john sort of way. I'll eventually forgive 'im, though, since he's a cool, laid-back dude. Crystal was great, even though she didn't hang out nearly long enough. Plus, there was, of course, the INCREDIBLE KACard, who is quite possibly the sweetest, most hyper gal in the known universe. I even scored a hug! Oh yeah, there was also that OSC guy, who's just the best author EVER. He signed some books for me and my far-away friends, and was basically the coolest guy at the signing.

COME BACK SOON, EVERYONE! Y'HEAR?

[ November 19, 2003, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Zotto!, about your comment about hitting on my sister? You do know that she is older than you are, right? Does that mean you have a thing for older women? [Wink]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

She's probably too SMART for me or T_Smith to hit on, then. [Razz]
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Um...*pats Zotto on the head*

I bet she thought you were cute though!! [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::adds Shig to list for future reference::
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

Me and T are SUCH bachelors. [Razz]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

This is the story of how I met a bunch of people from the internet. Not suitable for children under 3...days. Superstation, that means you.

My family, along with Nato, made the long trip up to Portland. We arrived at the coffeeshop but found no one. Gradually, the other Jatraqueros began to arrive. At first it was just MoonRabbit and his wife, but then a torrent of highly intelligent and funny people began pouring through the door. I had already met Narnia, Laura, and Ralphie at the OMSI gathering. This time, I was honored to make the acquaintance of T_Smith, Hobbes, Annie, JonnyNotSoBravo, Zotto!, and Jeniwren, her husband, and their adorable kids.

Coffee Shop Pictures
Mr. Funny, my brother
Laura, Jonny, Ralphie, Nato
Zotto!, Hobbes, Annie, Laura, Jonny
T_Smith, MoonRabbit, Mrs. MoonRabbit, Narnia, Zotto!

After getting to know each other, we headed for the downtown Powells. It covers an entire city block and sells both used and new books. We all made a beeline for the C shelf in the science fiction section, of course. I bought a few more books for OSC to sign. You can never have too many books.

Powells Pictures
Hey, I know the people listed in those acknowledgements!
Narnia eyes a few copies of Ender's Shadow.

After cleaning out Powells, we split up for dinner. We met at Borders at around 6 PM. There were a few chairs set up in the music section of the store. It wasn't as large an area as I thought it would be. I hoped that the small area meant a small turnout was expected, but I feared that it would simply mean a bunch of people would have to stand.

Around 6:30, the Cards showed up. There wasn't any fanfare, but the audience got pretty excited. OSC handed a bag of candy to Nato, saying, "I'm giving it to him first because he looks like he needs it." I believe he also requested that we finish the candy because otherwise he'd have to eat it. He then began signing books. What I want to know is why he signed my little brother's copy of Ender's Game "A survival guide for geniuses" and mine "A friend of Ender." At any rate, OSC is unbelievably funny. He cracked jokes with the audience as he signed books.

The little talk OSC gave was interesting, although I've seen much of that information on the website. It was delivered with plenty of humor and interaction with the audience, so I didn't mind hearing it all again.

All of us had the honor of talking with Kristine while her husband signed books. The reports of her friendliness and kindness are all understatements. I'd invite Kristine in for tea any day (don't know about that shady character she's married to though [Wink] ) We also met Crystal, who unfortunately didn't make it to the other events.

I had a great time at the Portland gathering. Meeting some really cool Jatraqueros and Scott and Kristine Card, who are amazing people, was completely worth the trip home.

Borders Pictures
Jatraqueros and OSC
First row: OSC. Second row: Jeniwren, Ralphie, Shigosei. Third row: Mr. Funny, Abrynne, T_Smith, Nato. Fourth row: Zotto!, Narnia, Annie, Hobbes. Fifth row: JonnyNotSoBravo.
More Jatraqueros
First row: Ralphie. Second row: Shigosei, Jeniwren, Crystal, T_Smith. Third row: Hobbes, Annie, Mr. Funny, Zotto!, Narnia, Abrynne, Nato. Fourth Row: JonnyNotSoBravo

OSC signs my book!
Mr. Funny, Shigosei, and Nato with OSC
OSC signs Jeniwren's books
Jatraqueros and Kristine

[ November 20, 2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

Oh, and guys, I am indeed not jailbait anymore. Feel free to hit on me anytime! [Razz]
Narnia
Member # 1071

Shig, those are awesome!! Your two Powells links are both the same picture. [Wink] Fun fun fun!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

Hooray! More pictures! Nifty. [Smile]

I'd hit on you, Shig, but I'm afraid of inciting your brother's wrath. I'm sure that won't stop T, though. [Razz]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

Fixed!
Shigosei
Member # 3831

I'm not sure either of my brothers would actually try to protect me from other males. Mr. Funny probably would not do anything to someone who hit on me. Just because my brothers won't beat people up doesn't mean I won't, though. Fortunately, I haven't had the sort of unwanted attention that requires physical violence. (But if I figure out who's calling me at 5 am, I have some H2SO4 for him to try...)

[ November 20, 2003, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Zotto!
Member # 4689

So when you yelled "Fixed!" you were merely warning me and Nate of what you would do to our respective family jewels if we tried to hit on you?

Yowza.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

[Evil Laugh]

Isn't it great how with just one word I can threaten two guys and tell Narnia that I've corrected the problem she pointed out? Double meanings are wonderful.

Zotto!
Member # 4689

H2SO4...mommy... [Angst]

*runs away*

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank goodness the lady doesn't know about "super" acids, or you'd be in REAL trouble!
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Being old and married definitely has its advantages. I don't have to worry about this type of foolishness anymore.

And I don't have to dress to impress, either.

But then you knew that.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh ho!! but you were SO impressive anyway! [Wink] (not kidding! You were! I loved the shirt.)
Shigosei
Member # 3831

More pictures! (See my previous post)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You managed to get a picture of Kristine! Wow, now that's impressive! (She's rather camera-shy.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Man. It's like I have more chins than a Chinese phone book.

When did those show up? And why wasn't I issued a warning?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Annie's next photoshop contest: Remove those extra chins from Ralphie's face...if you can even find them.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I could have sworn, I gave a thumbs up in one of these pictures...
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

- posted      Profile for Crystal   Email Crystal         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got some of my pictures from the Portland signing and I'll post them as soon as I can figure out how. [Razz] It really was fun meeting all of you, even though it wasn't for very long it was definately worth the trip down from Anchorage! I even met some really cool people at the Beaverton signing, also. Oh, and Nate, now that i've posted on this side am i still going to be known as "Crystal from the other side?" [Wink]
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Not quite. In order to officially make the change over and quit being from "The other side" *lightning and horses neighing* you have to preform 3 hatrack miracles.

Or just start posting over here and you'll be set.

Whichever you prefer.

Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you're still from the other side, aren't you?

No, it's okay. I don't think anybody remembers, but I started over there too. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

In all seriousness, it was nice to meet you, even if I'm not the Nate you're talking about. That's the trouble with having a much more famous person around who shares my name. Anyways, looking forward to more pictures.

P.S. I don't think Ralphie has a double chin.

Edit: T, you just had to beat me posting didn't you? You're an addict!

[ November 21, 2003, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Nato ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal
Member # 5437

3 hatrack miracles, huh? [Angst] I think I'll stick with the second option.

edit: I forgot you were both Nate, but I guess it dosn't matter which one. [Smile]

[ November 21, 2003, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Crystal ]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Nato, theres a difference between famous and prolific. I am not famous, just always around. Famous people actually have things to brag about. I just make things up to brag about.

Edit: Oh, come on! At least one hatrack miracle? Please?

Fine... how about we just go grab some pizza at the next meeting and we'll call it even?

[ November 21, 2003, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Crystal
Member # 5437

Ok, pizza and it'll be even. But hey, you never know, maybe someday i'll perform a hatrack miracle. [Razz]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Crystal, if you send them to my e-mail address for foobonic I'll post your pictures for you.

hatrack@foobonic.com

Crystal
Member # 5437

Thanks Ralphie, I'll send them to you as soon as I can.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Yay! More pictures!

Welcome to this side of the river. Sorry we had to leave so quickly after the signing. You'll have to tell us more about Alaska sometime (that's where you're from, right?)

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Crystal, losing the "from the other side" is the easy part. Losing the "newbie" badge is tougher. Read Mr. Squicky's essential advice. Then update your will and get busy. Good luck, you'll need it!! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abrynne
Member # 5826

- posted      Profile for Abrynne   Email Abrynne         Edit/Delete Post 
Now for Abrynne's addition!

*clap of thunder and whinnie of horses* The POGO STICK PICS!!!

Ralphie
Because your hair is in your face hun you ended up looking a little like the girl from The Ring. Not my fault!
T-Smith
Group w/ OSC
T and his bottle fondling....
This was along with the orange tights conversation...
Narnia, Myself, and Ralphie
I think I can beat you on double chins Ralphie. I do believe the only decent picture taken of me this entire weekend was in that group that Shigosei posted.
T 'n John
Wedding Invitation Photo!
You know I think it's different this time. Annie's on the left and Hobbes' is on the right
The Sister Hostesses
Zotto!
Looking rather content I think.
T again
I honestly don't remember this being taken....with my camera....

[ November 22, 2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Abrynne ]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Friend,
I am a former genral in the Canadian Armed forces, eh, who has escaped the recent conflicts with two hundreds million dollars (Cdn) and twelve Skyhawk helicopters--I am at present sitting in one, the other eleven have been stored in Newfundland--the bombs are falling now. I need a secured bank account in a developed nation in which to deposit this money (and some safety-deposit boxes for the Skyhawks). If you will only--wjhat is that smoke coming out of the turret?--if you will, dear friend, only respond with your persoanl account number I will condider sharing 1% (Cdn) of this koney with you. That is.......200 dollars (Cdn), for only your secured bank account number (and the safety-deposit boxes)--is that oil pressure gauge correct?--then fix it you fool!, eh. I eagerly await your prompt response--Mayday!
Genral Lance "Contiki" Bay

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

That's right, I'm lookin' at YOU, punk! [Big Grin]

Like, gag me with a spoon. Photos=evil. [Razz]

Hooray for Abrynne posting pictures of OTHER Hatrackers, tho'!

*edit* Didn't see the post above mine. I am now confused.

[ November 22, 2003, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Zotto! ]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.