FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your favorite font?

Author Topic: What's your favorite font?
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites tend to be the old standbys - I'm a big fan of futura and gil sans. When I want to get funky, though (and it takes a good deal of proper timing, inspiration, taste, and sugary beverages to get funky) I'm a big fan of some of the classier retro fonts .

What's your favorite?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Garamond is my favorite, hands down. I have it set to be the default font for most things. I really like the way it looks.

But for fun I really like Papyrus. Very cool look to it.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about fonts, but...

I like the brown bag set best. And I'm a big fan of verdana for the Web. Oh, and I think a font based on the title on this Joy Division album cover would be awesome.
----

If you like fonts, check out typophile. It's run by some guys I know.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
With AOL, you can download Tangwar as your font. That's my favorite font.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Verdena for most things, and Comic Sans when I want the casual look. I like both these because they are easy on my old eyes, and they are pleasing to look at.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
New Century Schoolbook condensed for larger 12pt and above type.

Compacta is my favorite sans font.

Copperplate is a good one. Looks so nice and formal.

I also like Regular Joe for a few apps.

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite fonts are either Apple Typewriter (very clear typeface) or, in a pinch (or on a PC), Georgia.

I had a font once that was just printed the coca-cola logo a b'jillion different ways. . .

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool site!

Sans serif: Century Gothic. Been using it in my game.... many different point sizes....

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Mingliu and ... heehee, times new roman [Blushing]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the use:

New Century Schoolbook for real text stuff.

Comic Sans for fun stuff.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone knows of a tiger font that'll be my favorite. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go to coolfonts.com and you could click on a tab that said... "try me!" and type whatever it was you felt like typing and in whatever font size you wanted. There was also a search engine in which you could type a word or phrase and the relating coolfonts.com fonts would appear in front of your very eyes! *tada* But no more... [Frown]

[ September 25, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: wieczorek ]

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
For my own composing of manuscripts and emails, I prefer Arial, but for producing printed bulletins and the like for others, I prefer Garamond. When I write long manuscripts, I prefer Bookman Old Style. In all cases, I use 12-point.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about papyrus which is hilarious and beautiful when it's enlarged to 500 point.
*Is easily amused*
And also whatever font Smashing Pumpkins used for Mellen Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
And various NIN fonts.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't tend to like goofy fonts much, except maybe for banners or other "special" stuff.

I don't so much care what font I use, but if I use a serif for the title, I use a sans serif for the body, and vice-versa. When it's a paper for a class or something formal like that, it's sans serif titles, serif body; that just seems more formal to me. Same with quizzes and tests, but mainly because MS Equation Editor defaults to times new roman, and I want my equations to match the rest of the body text. It's such a pain in the neck to change the defaults on Equation Editor, because it has like twelve default fonts for different things, and changing one doesn't change the others, that I make the rest of my text conform to it rather than vice-versa. If it's my writing, I use serif titles and sans serif body, simply because I have found that with arial 11 point text, double spacing, and one-inch borders, I get the same number of words per page as a typical page out of a novel (don't ask me how I discovered that--you really don't want to know just how anal/OC I am!) and I'm always curious to know how long my manuscript would be in "real" pages. I always reformat it before submitting. Most other writing, like lesson plans or parent letters, I use the serif titles and sans serif body, because that seems easier on the eyes to me, but I also use a nice big typeface for the body.

For fooling around, I like comic sans ms (as anybody who chats with me should know!).

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I prefer Bookman Old Style
That's my vote too, but for almost everything I use Word for.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Here's another site full of uber hip professional (translation: expensive) fonts that I really like.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cliff Hanger
Member # 5733

- posted      Profile for Cliff Hanger   Email Cliff Hanger         Edit/Delete Post 
Four fonts walk into a bar.
The barman says "Oi - get out! We don't want your type in here"

Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have found that with arial 11 point text, double spacing, and one-inch borders, I get the same number of words per page as a typical page out of a novel (don't ask me how I discovered that--you really don't want to know just how anal/OC I am!)
Hehehe. I actually AM curious how you did it, but even more than that, I'm glad YOU did it so I wouldn't have to figure out how. *hops off to apply "the Icarus' method"*

Q.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm. Expensive fonts.

I like the neutraface collection.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Arial for most communications, Blackadder or Lucy Cousins for fun.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Arial and Times New Roman. I think after a brief bout of using weird, unreadable fonts as a youth was enough to break me of using weird fonts at all... I really dislike fonts that you can't read at a glance, unless they're being used in graphics or something...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what I'm doing. I like Comic Sans MS when I'm writing letters. I've also had several professors when I was in school that preferred it for papers. [Dont Know] For fancy casual, I like Bradley Hand ITC or Papyrus. If I need all caps for something, I like Copperplate Gothic. And I've just discovered Eurostile. It's fun. For manuscripts, I use whatever I can find that looks closest to traditional typewriter font.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Four fonts walk into a bar.
The barman says "Oi - get out! We don't want your type in here

[ROFL]
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For manuscripts, I use whatever I can find that looks closest to traditional typewriter font.
That would be Courier.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Arial for readability and Desdemona for the fun of it.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Comic Sans is so overused. I detest it.

For quite a while, I've been on a Garamond/Trebuchet kick. Garamond for body text, and Trebuchet for titles and headers. I think they pair nicely. I use Copperplate quite often as well.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I don't know if American Typewriter is standard in most word processors, but it's my favorite when I'm trying to duplicate a... typewriter. [Razz]
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Strictly speaking, you're all discussing typefaces, not fonts. A font is a typeface at a specific point size. For instance, "Courier" is a typeface; "12pt Courier" is a font.

Yeah, I know you don't care, but I had to clarify anyway. I'm OC that way. [Smile]

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(noogies Jeff)

Take that...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.

I deserved that.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Comic Sans is my trademark font. I use it for pretty much everything. [Smile]

To all you Comic Sans-haters: [Taunt]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
BernhardMod.
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Comic sans MS, Tolkien, Papyrus, Yucatan.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Comic sans is everyone's trademark font. [Taunt]

I like Bakersignet for most everyday things (as well as Bookman oldstyle) but my favorite has gotta be Tempus Sans. Love that one!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Avant Garde, Futura and Newtown are my favourites.

Incidentally, Newtown can be seen on my new site!

[ September 26, 2003, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Troubadour ]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Troubs, there may be a problem with your poll : I haven't been able to vote (no link).
Just to let you know [Wink]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna, nothing's really supposed to be working there yet anyway, but you have to register to vote in a poll.... [Smile]
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

oops [Blushing] [Grumble]
Anna
Member # 2582

That's not the case in many French sites, by the way.
Annie
Member # 295

I love your logo Troubs. Very chic.
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Neato site! I love the design!
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Thanks guys, I'll host an "opening party thread" at some point, so as not to entirely hijack this one.

The design of the logo is mine but the site most definitely is not - it's a postNuke theme that I've modified somewhat. But when the site is officially launched, it will utilise my own design.

And hopefully a forum where we can all play mafia... *G*

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Times New Roman is a good all-purpose font. I hate Arial. I like the lines at the bottoms of my words. All the fancy fonts are fun, but I have to see them to know if I want to use them. But everyone can recognize and read TNR. I'd rather have the words shine than the font that presents them.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, those "lines at the bottom of words" are called serifs. (Not to be confused with seraphs, which are angels.) Arial is a "sans serif" type, which means it has no serifs. The letters are just straight lines at the upper and lower ends of strokes. New Times Roman, Garamond, Bookman Old Style, and the like are serif types. An interesting compromise is Futura, which does not have actual serifs, but does have odd little swellings or thickenings at the upper and lower ends of strokes in a letter, like serifs that are budding but haven't emerged yet.

[ September 28, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually use Times New Roman for my papers and such... When I do Inspiration diagrams for English (note: for those of you who don't know, Inspiration is a program that makes flow charts and outlines and such; I find them handy for my bio notes, and my mother uses them for class sometimes), I like to use Book Antiqua, it makes it easier to read the labels on th little circles. [Smile]
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I use times new roman for *everything* - how boring does that make me? [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I find both Ariel (or Helvetica on the Mac) and Times New Roman harder on my eyes than nice plump typefaces like Verdana, Bookman Old Style, Garamond, Comic Sans, etc. The kerning and leading are also important in terms of being easy on the eyes (from one who has to wear reading glasses if I want to be able to type at the keyboard and see the screen clearly at the same time [Big Grin] ).
Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.