FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » All Segways Recalled

Author Topic: All Segways Recalled
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/26/pf/autos/segway_recall/index.htm?cnn=yes
quote:
Segways recalled

Two-wheeled Human Transporters recalled for power-use problem that could cause them to topple.
September 26, 2003: 1:55 PM EDT
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Segway LLC has recalled all 6,000 of its human transporters sold to date because of a falling hazard, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced Friday.

When the batteries on the devices begin to run low, according to an announcement from Segway and the CPSC, there may not be enough power to keep the machine upright. Falls could happen if the rider speeds up abruptly, encounters an obstacle or continues to ride after receiving a low-battery alert.

The CPSC said Segway has received three reports of injuries that, according to the announcement, may be due to this problem. In one incident, the user sustained a head injury requiring stitches.

Segway said owners should call the company at 877-889-9020 for information about receiving a software upgrade to correct the problem. Segway is also contacting owners directly.

All Segway's shipped as of today will have the upgraded software, according to an announcement released by the company. They will be labeled to reflect the upgrade.

On a Segway Human Transporter, the rider stands on a platform between two wheels, one on each side. The machine is powered by an electric motor. The rider steers by leaning forward or back or, to turn, by turning handlebars. Computers are used to maintain balance. They can travel at a top speed of 12.5 miles per hour. They cost about $5,000.

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ø
Member # 5745

- posted      Profile for Ø           Edit/Delete Post 
No!
Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they going to recall all cars, too, because they may get hit from behind if they run out of gas?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Wow. My whole town could grind to a halt!

-O-

Oh, and

Welcome, empty set!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Moose, didn't you get the software patch for that? I did!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
What an expensive, expensive toy train set.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The Segways a toy.

I'm still reacting with irritation to the "We Will Change the World" introduction of it. Sadly, schadenfreude is not dead.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Now when are they going to fix the spelling of the name? Or was this like a "Freedom Fries" anti-French thing?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*nod*

Okay. I thought maybe that was what you meant. It is kinda silly, particularly at that price. I think the price is what puts it over the edge, though. If you could get one for three or four hundred dollars, it would be a really cool high tech scooter. But to pay the price of a used car for one person to be able to go 12.5 mph is a bit extreme.

They sure are popular around here, though.

And they sure look cool.

[Smile]

Sho'nuff
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for Sho'nuff   Email Sho'nuff         Edit/Delete Post 
the thing about them is that for most people they aren't going to replace cars or expensive polluting modes of transportation. They're going to replace, walking, bicycling, rollerblading, etc...

unless you're really going to take a Segway instead of a cab...

Posts: 251 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

*nod*
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am a hick. I have never heard of these contraptions before. Crazy. I think the name "segway" is really funny too. I guess we'll never be able to conversationally segway again, eh? Each time my professor talks about the assigned text being a segway into next week's lecture, I'm going to have a really funny mental picture of him on a little wheely thing.

Honestly, though - how much more "convenient" can transportation become?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Manchester, where the damn things were invented and are made.

Walking into my grad school building tonight, I read the following sign:

No skateboards
No rollerblades
No bicycles
No segways
allowed inside the building.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
You have to walk?

Phfft. Feet are for losers.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.