FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who to return... maybe?

Author Topic: Doctor Who to return... maybe?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Time proves no match for the Doctor
Doctor Who is returning to BBC One in 2005 in a live-action series - satisfying an army of fans who have waited for years.

His return to the screen after 14 years in the wilderness has been dogged with several false starts - as well as some interesting new directions for the intrepid intergalactic hero.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
it isn't fourteen years, remember that awful fox version that never got past the pilot?

actually, forget i said that.

yay! after 14 years! yay!

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
::wonders how he can get to actually see this::

I like the idea of The Doctor being pissed off. It's always been entertaining in the past. Maybe he should run in to Bill and Ted?

::still wonders how he can actually get to see this::

::sigh::

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

erik, does that mean you recognize my sakeriver icon?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! It is Romana! It was so small on my screen that I didn't notice! Totally cool. Best avatar ever! Romana was the best sidekick of The Doctor's ever too!

Did you see the Black Adder where Tom Baker was the ex-pirate?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

no, i haven't. have you seen the dr. who spoof with rowan atkins and hugh grant? i haven't seen it either, but some day!
eslaine
Member # 5433

I hadn't seen that one either!

In college I wrote and produced a play about an intertemporal assassin. I made sure that The Doctor and Romana were intertwined with the plot....

::hands celia60 bag of jelly babies::

[ September 26, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

wonderful!

*loves jelly babies*

*has 12' version of 18' scarf*

it's true, the evil one does eat babies!

oh, wait, wrong companion. [Big Grin]

eslaine
Member # 5433

[Big Grin]

Now you've done it, Chris/Celia! How can I get those old Tom Baker episodes? (This will haunt me now....)

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
DVD sets. They're out there.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a 20' version!!! Yay! <laughs>

Yeah, Tom Baker was THE doctor. Of course Douglas Adams wrote a lot for the show in those days.

My favorite sidekick was probably Leela. She just rocked. The first Romana was good too. 10 points to anyone who remembers her whole name. The six segments to the key to time were some of the best episodes. Scringestone. Schrivenzaal. Moons of Madness.

I loved the names for the tardis components. Gravitic Anomalyzer and Transdimensional Stabilizer, for instance. Can anyone remember any more?

Favorite Dr. Who quote: "The more sophisticated the technology, the more vulnerable it is to primative attack."

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

Romana Navratalova.

Thanks Chris!

How about this: The Doctor pounds on a mysterious console, which suddenly pops to life.

"Obviously a product of Human Technology."

[ September 26, 2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
sigh - I used to have a 12 foot scarf, back in my Whovian days - early 1980s, when a bunch of us would gather every Sunday morning for coffee, doughnuts and Doctor Who. They would show a complete story every Sunday morning on the Denver PBS station. We had a very active group of Whovians - We had a great convention that had Jon Pertwee as the featured guest!

I just hope that when they start the new story they just pretend the 1996 movie didn't happen and we never have to hear any rubbish about the Doctor being half human again. [Grumble]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but which Romana? The first one was completely lifeless; I was glad when they swapped her for the second one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Baker apparently thought well of the replacement as well - since they eventually got married. Apparently, the mutual enchantment wore off rather quickly, though. I think they separated and divorced in less than a year.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

the second ramana, of course!

man, the joy of first seeing the BBC version of Hamlet. picard is king and ramana is ophelia, it's like an absurd crossover episode! and still a better dr. who episode than that fox one.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, that Fox thing was a miserable piece of carp, wasn't it? I'm really glad that it didn't go anywhere.

I wonder what the special effects will be like in the new series? The incredibly cheesy special effects were always part of the charm for me. Since they said that it was going to be "modern", I can only assume that they'll be on par with the other SF currently on TV.

I have to say, celia, that while I was aware of your coolness before, now that I know that you're a Dr. Who fan, and specifically a Romana fan, I realize that you're even cooler that I'd thought.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

Noem, right back at you. You were already on the super cool list for familiarity with C. L. Moore, now you're just over the top!
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile]
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
Another link

Yeah!!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe its been 14 years since they stopped making Dr. Who.

Somewhere I've got a Dr. Who craft book with instruction on how to knit the scarf and patterns for making a model of K9.

Did anyone else ever play the Daleks video game?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

No! I had no idea that there was one! Was it for the PC?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The dalek video game I played was for the Mac. It was a pretty simple game. I think it was public domain or maybe shareware. We played it in the mid 80s when I was in graduate school
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah!!!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Long time to wait though, sigh... and I wonder how long it'll take to show the episodes over in the U.S. after they air on the BBC...

Growing up and watching Dr. Who, it was painful sometimes having to wait up to THREE YEARS [Frown] to see new episodes here in the U.S. (I'd get desperate enough -- in those pre-Internet days -- to go over to the university library to look at the TV listings in the English newspapers and be sad to read about all the cool-sounding episodes I'd have to wait to see...)

The Rowan Atkinson/Hugh Grant spoof is VERY funny if you ever get the chance to see it. (Randomly enough, I came across it at our local public library. Manna from heaven...)

Hm, I actually LIKED the pilot that was shown on Fox. I didn't like the messing about with continuity, but the show had a good energy to it, and I was entertained.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah... random fun fact from reading Douglas Adams's The Salmon of Doubt: Adams introduced Lalla Ward (the actress who played the 2nd Romana) to Richard Dawkins (author of The Selfish Gene, etc.), and Ward and Dawkins are now married...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Who
Member # 5292

- posted      Profile for Who   Email Who         Edit/Delete Post 
The name is Who.

Dr. Who.

Come, there's been a plot by an alien that crash landed at the beginning of time, and has been living as 6 different entities over the past history of the World, and we must stop him before he destroys the Earth. How can I have my tea if there is no earth?

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's where The Tick keeps all his stuff too.

Is "The Doctor" nick taken?

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, some interesting Dr. Who trivia:

- Lala Ward is indeed married to Richard Dawkins. I think it shows profoundly good taste on both of their parts. [Smile]

- I once made a pun on her name at a convention, waaaay back when. Everybody in the audience got it except for her because I spoke too quickly for her to make out what I was saying.

- She is the author of a knitting book called "Beastly Knits".

- She is titled. I can't remember what her title is, but I'm sure someone here will know or can find out.

- I'm a nodding acquaintence with the author who first wrote the character of Leela. (And who wrote that line, "It's true: the evil one does eat babies!")

- The Dr. Who episode "Shada" is available in animated form from the BBCi website.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

See, I remember that one. That was the Jaggeroth. That was the one where the doctor was reading Hamlet's line "take arms against a sea of troubles" out of the Jaggeroth's first folio Shakespeare and said "That's a mixed metaphor! I told him that was a mixed metaphor!"

Edit: written before Jeff's post above.

[ September 27, 2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

::adulates ak for her encyclopedic knowledge of the series::

The Doctor is already taken? How about The Master?

Jeffrey Getzin
Member # 1972

- posted      Profile for Jeffrey Getzin           Edit/Delete Post 
ana kata,

And that script with written by Douglas Adams only under a pseudonym.

Jeff

Posts: 1692 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

<beams at her acolyte Erik>

Yes, Jeff, it has the flavor of Douglas Adams' writing. He wrote a lot of the stuff from around that time. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh.

Somewhere, in a box buried in my parents'house, are reams of notes passed back and forth between Alan and myself during 10th grade history - all about Dr. Who. I had newly discovered the series - it was the one and only thing I watched, for 30 minutes, each day. (We both had A's in the class, so we could afford the extracurricular activity of Alan answering all my questions, which were legion.)

Alas! My father found the notes (and my D&D set, and a few tapes by groups such as Iron Maiden, etc.) and not only took the lot but prohibited me from ever seeing Dr. Who again. He thought I lived in a fantasy world. [Confused] I eventually got the notes and tapes back, but the show remained off limits. The man's got no sense of humor, I swear!

Anyway -

I had NO idea Fox tried bringing the show back, and now I, too, most ponder how/where I will see what the BBC is up to.

My word!

(spelling, clumsy fingers . . . edit, edit, edit)

[ September 28, 2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo... Shan... you're at 999. Cool beans.

AK, I'm glad you caught the reference and knew what the episode in particular. ::smile cause too lazy to scroll down for graemlin::

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I got corrected on another bboard when I wrote Dr. instead of Doctor. Here's part of what grinner said:
quote:
...the show is NOT Dr. Who. It is Doctor Who. There is a HUGE difference between them. Dr. Who were 2 movies that were made in 1964 and 1965 to cash in on the Dalek Phenomenon that was occuring in the UK after the Daleks were introduced. The Producers of the movies were NOT allowed by the BBC to call the show Doctor Who because the BBC did NOT want people thinking these were movies that followed their, the BBC, television series. ...

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

t, city of death is one of my favorites. drat, i was too busy being out of town to catch the reference.

[The Wave]

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Those were the only episodes I caught, coming on PBS. Mainly because I had other things to do and now I think it's off the air here.

::Edits hoping nobody noticed horrible grammar::

[ September 29, 2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.