FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Southern Identity (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Southern Identity
qkslvrwolf
Member # 5768

- posted      Profile for qkslvrwolf   Email qkslvrwolf         Edit/Delete Post 
Midwesterners rock. Its true. We're more or less the coolest, toughest, best people. Its simple. :-)

Sorry to those of you whose delusions were just shattered. Especially you New Yorkers. But reality had to strike sometime. ;-)

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, do I count? If I was born in Missouri, even though I grew up in Georgia?
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qkslvrwolf
Member # 5768

- posted      Profile for qkslvrwolf   Email qkslvrwolf         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it all depends.

When someone asks you where you're from, do you answer Georgia, or Missouri?

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Missouri is still south. Any place that still has cotillions is south. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Midwest . . . hmm. Those are the flat ones in the middle, right?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qkslvrwolf
Member # 5768

quote:
Missouri is still south. Any place that still has cotillions is south.
Ok, I'm sorry, I'm stupid. What the hell is a cotillion?

Flat is a relative term. The Flint Hills are much larger than most maryland hills, theres just no trees, so you can see everything.

So poor benighted people that have never seen a truly wideopen sky think its flat, but its not.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
See, even after reading this I don't have any desire to visit the Southern US.
I hate hot weather.
Humidity and I don't see eye to eye.
I'm not religious.
I think the only sports worth playing are soccer and hockey.
I don't eat meat, dairy or eggs.

What does the South have to offer me?
(Or, for that matter, what do I have to offer the South? Other than my superior way of life that is [Wink]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qkslvrwolf
Member # 5768

Well, I was going to say you could offer the south some sanity, but you don't like football and you don't eat meat, so there that idea goes.

[Wink]

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
According to Fox's show The O.C., Newport Beach still has cotillions, but I'd hardly consider that part of the South. I'd also hardly consider a Fox "drama" to be a reliable source of info, though.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
The south is too humid for me. I took a road trip to New Hampshire and could barely breathe as I passed through Memphis.

Prescott, Arizona is perfect though. It's not too warm in the summer, and not too cold in the winter, and it's only rarely humid.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I finally started a thread that lasted to two pages.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka - Yeah. The stuff you fly over to get back and forth between the cool places.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When someone asks you where you're from, do you answer Georgia, or Missouri?
I say born in Missouri, grew up in Georgia.

I identify more with the people in MO, because neither of my parents is from Georgia, so we never really got too involved in that culture.

And by the way, the bottom half of MO is South, the top half is Midwest, IMO.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's true. St. Louis is still pretty Midwestern. An hour south, though, and you may as well be in Arkansas. [Wink] j/k
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
i suddenly feel homeless. i have no region i call my own.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you grow up in a lab celia?
Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
What do southerners consider cornbread? I've had cornbread that was almost like cake, sweet and fluffy and smooth, and on the other hand I've had cornbread that was like multigrain bread, heavy with lots of texture and big pieces of corn.

Darn it, I am -hungry-. I love grits, though I don't like them with cheese. Mmm, biscuts with sausage gravy, grits, eggs, fruit...

Of course, I like lox and bagels too. Should have eaten breakfast :\.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaxonn
Member # 5163

- posted      Profile for Jaxonn   Email Jaxonn         Edit/Delete Post 
Back from lunch- had shrimp and hushpuppies!
On the cornbread question- technically we have two types. There's lace cornbread, which is spooned batter in a frying pan (my fave kind) or pan cornbread, which is fluffier and baked in the oven. Its usually up to the cook which one you'll get.
Now the kind with bits of corn is either corn pudding or corn fritters. Also, pudding in the oven or fritters in the frying pan.
I'm sorry for those of you with bad experiences with the rude type Southerners. People here usually have a lot of heart, but many still harbor distrust of "Yankees" and there's still prejudice to contend with.
We're not all like that, I promise!

Jaxonn [Smile]

Posts: 55 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
And it's white cornmeal, not yellow, and no sugar in real cornbread. The rest is just a carpet-baggin' abomination!

And it's best with slow-cooked pinto beans. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

Hushpuppies must be eaten with honey. Why some restaurants that serve them don't understand this, I don't know.
Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else long for the corn pone baked in a corncob-shaped cast iron muffin pan?

[ooooh ---> http://chefgadget.com/product.asp?prodsku=C4108 ]

[ October 03, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaxonn
Member # 5163

Another thing- the weather. At least we have SEASONS. It doesn't get that cold here, but when it does actually snow-woo hoo, its a major event.
The humidity is a pain, but living near the coast makes it a great excuse for going to the beach.

Jaxonn [Wink]

Posts: 55 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, that's true. St. Louis is still pretty Midwestern. An hour south, though, and you may as well be in Arkansas. j/k [Wink]
[Cry]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
CT: No. Weirdo.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaxonn
Member # 5163

Southern "delicacies" I won't eat-
pig's feet
pig's brains (my great granmother ate them mixed with eggs)
yok (I really don't even know what this is, nor do I want to)
rice pudding (we here in the South will make pudding out of anything)
deer stew (self explanatory, I hope)
squirrel (don't ask!)

Jaxonn
Suddenly, not hungry anymore...

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Rice pudding is good! And I've actually had deer jerky before...it wasn't that bad.

[ October 03, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Deer biscuits! Mmmmmmm! Now those are good! [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaxonn
Member # 5163

With all due respect Ronnie, what planet are you from? [Big Grin]
Rice pudding is nasty- but to each his own.
What about tomato pudding?
Bread pudding?
Hey, like I said they'll make anything into a pudding around here.

Jaxonn [Smile]

Zan
Member # 4888

Jaxonn, NC beaches don't really count as beaches.

And even though the lack of seasons sometimes sucks, the fact that I can sit by my pool in my shorts and sip a cold beer for at least 10 months out of the year is a definite bonus.

Jaxonn
Member # 5163

Zan- I completely understand your point on the seasons thing. But why don't NC beaches count as beaches?
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Rice pudding IS good. So hush up.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaxonn
Member # 5163

*dutifully scolded on the rice pudding mishap* [Hail]
Zan
Member # 4888

Because their not Florida beaches. [Roll Eyes]

[Razz]

NC is the place that Floridians go to vacation in the summer. My parents spend a month there every year.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

The best beach in the world:
Two Pics
It made the pictures small, sorry.
One meellion points to whoever can name where it is.

[ October 03, 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

quote:
Yeah, that's true. St. Louis is still pretty Midwestern. An hour south, though, and you may as well be in Arkansas. [Wink] j/k
What do you mean j/k? This is true.

quote:
There's lace cornbread, which is spooned batter in a frying pan
Does this sound like latkas to anyone else?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
rivka - Yeah. The stuff you fly over to get back and forth between the cool places.
Exactly, Ralphie! [Smile]

quote:
And it's white cornmeal, not yellow, and no sugar in real cornbread. The rest is just a carpet-baggin' abomination!

And it's best with slow-cooked pinto beans.

Hmm, how about half white cornmeal and half yellow? And just a little sugar? Hey, I don't use as much as the recipe on the cornmeal bag says! [Wink]

I agree with you on the pinto beans, although I usually add some other stuff too, and make a soy-meat based chili.

quote:
Hushpuppies must be eaten with honey.
[Confused] But . . . aren't they slightly spicy? And served with savory foods?

quote:
At least we have SEASONS.
Eh, seasons are way overrated. [Taunt] [Wink]

Chalk me up as another person who likes rice pudding. Yum!

quote:
quote:

There's lace cornbread, which is spooned batter in a frying pan

Does this sound like latkas to anyone else?
*blinks* You make some really funny latkes! Mine are made from potatoes.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
I love NC beaches. This summer I went to Cape Lookout, which was really neat. You have to take a boat to the island with the lighthouse, and on the way you see wild horses grazing on the saltwater grasses that grow in small islands in the area. Like I said, it's really cool.

RRR- I don't specifically recognize the beach, so I'll make a random guess. Oak Island? (Long Beach, NC is my favorite beach.)

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be biased but I think our Gulf coast beaches are the most gorgeous in the world. Expand any of the pictures on this page, for instance, to see what my favorite beach town, Pensacola, has to offer. Sugar white fluffy sand, pure clear water, and fewer people density than most anywhere else, Pensacola still retains the old-Florida charm. Destin and Ft. Walton and Gulf Shores have become wall to wall condos with way too many people on the beaches, but Pensacola is still completely lovely. I miss it so much. I hope I can go next summer if I'm home from Iraq.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

quote:
*blinks* You make some really funny latkes! Mine are made from potatoes.
Aren't they cooked by the same process though? I knew they were potatoes. We made them in Elementary school. I can't remember why, but I think we had a Jewish lady come teach us to make some stuff like that. It was nifty.

Oops, misspelled latke in the post before. Got it confused with the guy on taxi. [ROFL]

rivka
Member # 4859

Nah, you didn't misspell it. The trouble with transliterating words is that there are too many ways to do it. I've seen latka, latke, latkah, latkeh, and others. Pick your favorite. [Wink]

Aren't all pancakes made that way, though?

MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

I don't know. We did it with like half an inch of oil. I don't use oil with pancakes. Just a non-stick pan.
mackillian
Member # 586

Or a griddle.
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

Or that.
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

Okay, confession time for all Southerners or those who can relate. I have done something equivalent to a "choosing a different religion from my momma" kinda no-no. I have...(gasp)
given up cast iron.
I HATE it. I thought I loved it. I stood behind it and told everyone how great it is.
My mom doesn't know I threw out all my cast iron.

I hate it. It weighs six times more than a normal pan with no known benefit. Plus the handle gets hot. It's almost impossible for a pregnant woman to use it, which I usually am. What's the point? When it came time to move, I realized that stupid cast iron would probably take us over our weight limit in the moving van, that's how heavy it was. So I chucked it. I haven't missed it since.

*breathes sigh of relief*

My name is Maureen, and I'm a non-stick-aholic.

rivka
Member # 4859

Non-stick spray is your friend. [Big Grin] Or maybe a little olive oil in a pan, but "half an inch"? Yikes! *dies*

Cast iron actually does have a health benefit -- trace amounts of iron end up in the food. And since most people are iron-deficient . . . OTOH, I'm with you on what a pain in the neck it is. I have a friend who loves it, but I can't stand it.

mackillian
Member # 586

YOU THREW OUT YOUR CAST-IRON!?

*wants cast iron*

[Cry]

rivka
Member # 4859

*pat pat*
rayne
Member # 5722

- posted      Profile for rayne   Email rayne         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes- someone clear up the hushpuppies thing. They tasted oniony to me, I can't imagine them with honey. I guess it might be like chicken fingers in honey. Hm.

Edited to ask, Why is Ana Kata in Iraq? Is she in the military?

[ October 05, 2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: rayne ]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
the list forgot

Only a true Southerner knows that Coke doesn't mean a specific drink-it's just a general term for any type of soda

and no one has mentioned Boudin sausage, which is one of my favorite.

As for the politeness, raised by two yankees in the South, it was VERY hard for me, but I can see reasons behind it now, it just gives people a basis for speaking, and the talking about you behind your back stuff seems overrated (but I'm generally pretty oblivious, so I may have just missed it)

But my third family is very country southern, Dad just started visiting them a lot in college and got adopted. And it's a good family, they're very hosiptable, good cooks, and they treat my sisters and I as if we are actual members of the family, not the children of a son they adopted in later on in life. And also-that politness thing can go away pretty quickly, once southerners get into politics.....

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayne
Member # 5722

- posted      Profile for rayne   Email rayne         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Mississippi for an internship this spring, and just before I left the big city of Corinth west of where I was held its annual Slugburger Festival, where everyone meets together to socialize and eat a burger made of a mixture of hamburger, grease and bread crumbs. [Smile] I didn't expect the experience to be so anecdotal, but the south is like a charicature of itself, I couldn't believe it. It's awesome
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.