FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Southern Identity (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Southern Identity
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
oh yeah, and anne kate? the Great Human Hadj????? We went to visit him, it wasn't a religious pilgrimage. And visiting jon is hardly a sensible thing to do on a religous pilgrimage, as much fun it was.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, though, I understand that there are commemorative christmas ornaments or some such religious iconography so naturally I started thinking of it in those terms. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and to answer your question, rayne, I'm not in Iraq YET. I'm looking for a job as an engineer doing reconstruction work over there. And studying Arabic in the meantime. And I'm not in the military, I'm just a civilian who wants to help.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Toretha- They DEFINITELY talk about you behind your back. It's like they're scared that if they don't immediately list your short-comings (or would that be shorts-coming? [Smile] ) upon your exit from the room, then the other people will assume you don't know about them, and nothing's worse than being out of the loop. Or something.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

*shrugs* Ah well. Must be boring....
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
"The South" is really too broad a term. For instance right now I feel like I live in the North - but I doubt anyone else thinks of North Alabama that way! And it's further south than many of you.

There are "different" Souths! There are overlapping characteristics in many places, but c'mon does anyone really think that anywhere or anyone in Maryland is that similar to say Biloxi!

New Orleans is really a place unto itself, but I have to agree that hearing "pray-leens" and "pee-cans" really drives me NUTS! [Big Grin]

and Toretha (being a BR native you've mostly got my list taken care of) but everyone is always moving OUT of Baton Rouge b/c of economy - so how did your northern parents end up moving TO BR??

[ October 07, 2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: KEGE ]

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

Dad went to college at LSU, and mom came down here because her b/f was and she didn't get the note that said he wanted to break up. Mom said that once she got here, and tried the food, she decided she wasn't leaving until she'd eaten all of it [Razz]

And when we moved back down here from Norway ME, it was cause mom missed the heat, sun and friends-and Dad, being a social worker could get a job pretty easily with the state.

[ October 07, 2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Your parents moving TWICE to Baton Rouge and becoming addicted to the food and heat makes them Honorary Southerners. No doubt about it!

[Hat]

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.