FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh Brother...

Author Topic: Oh Brother...
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=51017

[Angst]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I never did read them, and I most certainly don't plan on seeing a movie adaptation of them.
Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I did start reading the first one, and the thoroughly modern behavior of the young people turned me off. That said, I know some very intelligent members of the church from Europe who aren't as cynical about this kind of thing as I. I guess they don't find it hard to believe that Americans 165 years ago behaved as stupidly as Americans today.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

I'm having the hardest time coming to grips with those who think it's ok to make bad mormon movies, as long as they make money.

Argh.

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Feel free to post any 'Oh Brother' moments here. I know I've got one more.....
Donny Osmond
Member # 5349

- posted      Profile for Donny Osmond           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you believe they turned me down when I asked for a starring role? They even turned me down when I asked for a supporting role. And when I started to beg for a cameo, they got downright mean.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

Donny, go back to the Pyramid.
Donny Osmond
Member # 5349

- posted      Profile for Donny Osmond           Edit/Delete Post 
But I don't want to go back. The mean men hurt me.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Book of Mormon Movie is actually trying to get in on the "sidekick named Sam" popularity of LOTR. Thus the out of niche market appeal.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

It is things like this and the Book of Mormon movie that make me really wish there was a "gagging" smiley here.

Of course if we post images I would just link to one, but since that doesn't work:

(Imagine gagging smiley inserted here)

That will have to do.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*... Yup. "Mormon" movies are taking things overboard. If people think we're wierd now, what will they think after they see all these corny movies? Although, I must admit, I liked The Other Side of Heaven. (That's because my mission president took the whole mission to see it and I was having a rough week. The part about being the Lord's wind really helped me.)
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*curls into a fetal position and starts to whimper*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"...and has all the elements that every great film should have. It has romance, drama, suspense and intrigue, and conflict and betrayal."...
No, that's LOTR.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Where art thou?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Just be thankful you don't live in Utah, Katie.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I sure am!

Wait - what's your reason? [Razz]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
So that you don't have to see Mormon movie posters all over town. So that you don't have to hear people talk about The Singles' Ward wherever you go. So that you don't have to have roommates who are obsessed with the pop music versions of Church songs that they put on the soundtracks.

That's my reason.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a big time hollywood movie....
...audiences everywhere will enjoy the story's universal themes...

Um, yeah. Uh huh.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Eh, you're hanging with the wrong crowd. Try the philosophy department at the U or the history crowd at Utah State. [Smile]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm having the hardest time coming to grips with those who think it's ok to make bad mormon movies, as long as they make money.
Not only that, but apparently those who criticize such efforts are high-brow snobs (who are both uptight and not spiritual enough to 'get' the message) -- even if that criticism is consrtuctive and comes from knowledge and experience in the field, or even comes mixed with some positive words as well.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yeah, I hate it when people don't realize I'm smarter than them, too.

----

*ducks and runs for cover* Kidding! Totally kidding! Have a cookie, Zal!

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Good one, kat. But you know if everybody would just recognize how smart I am and listen to me the world actually would become a better place [Wink] .

----
But the funny thing about the topic at hand is that the Mormon artists and critics I know are totally unsnobbish when it comes to genre and all of them love popular entertainment -- they just want it to be decently crafted. Nobody has expected these films to do anything that other films in the same genre/mode (even with the same budget) have done. They just expect a modicum of awareness of the genre and professionalism. I have no problem with amateurs (I'm one myself). But I'm not going to hold back when it comes to works that expect professional-level attention (forking out money to see a film or purchase a novel) from consumers and from the media, but are completely amateurish in how they were directed, acted, written, edited, typeset, filmed, etc.

SIDENOTE: I think part of the reason that so many LDS artists, critics and discrinating consumers are so comfortable with both 'high-brow' and 'low-brow' works is the strong current of science fiction in Mormondon. All of us who go on into English departments, etc., still maintain a streak of populism when we get out -- even if along the way we decide we like Nabokov or Joyce.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

quote:
pop music versions of Church songs that they put on the soundtracks.

Still looking for the gagging smiley. I suppose this will have to do.

[Wall Bash]

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... so what's worse? Mormon movies or protestant-armageddon movies?

[Angst]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd like to think that at least Mormon movies aren't taking themselves seriously
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Don't see the Book of Mormon movie, Annie.
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Jexxster, go here for a puking smiley:
pukes

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

Those are quality smilies.

Now I just wish we could link to images so I could use one of them here in this thread.

I really have a hard time with the whole "Mormon pop culture".

Pat
Member # 879

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Oct/10022003/utah/97894.asp
Pat
Member # 879

I'm just excited for the video game.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
he expects to make at least the first three films unless the first one bombs. They hope to tell the entire book series with five or six films.

Huh huh...fat chance. The first one WILL bomb. :disgusted snobby look:
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.