FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baseball (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Baseball
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you freaking nuts?

Game coming down to the final at bat, Oakland down by one, men on second and third with one out??

What's wrong with you?

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

A HAHAHAHA!

He invoked the Spirit of Buckner!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the Sox pulled it out, down 2-0 and losing both 3 and 4 at one point and they take the series.

Go Marlins!!! [Party]
[Party] [The Wave]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

This'll just make it more fun when the Yanks beat them!

[Big Grin]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Its boring because liteally 90% of even a relatively exciting game is yawn yawn yawn. Hockey for example is don't blink.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"This'll just make it more fun when the Yanks beat them!"

Icarus, them's words you are gonna eat, Mister!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

True enough, nfl. Baseball is different from basketball or football. It's more laid back, and it's more of a long haul. But, maybe because the tension builds up more slowly, and also because there's no set length of time for a game to last, when it does build up, it builds up to a crescendo. I think football is more exciting--in fact, I like it best--but baseball, especially late-season baseball, can be more dramatic.

As I was sitting here watching the final out, I couldn't look away, because there was no telling how long it might last. It could take one pitch, or it could take 10.

Anyway, what a great end to the season! In the American League, we have two classic rivals in the Sox and the Yanks. In the National League, we have two teams we don't see all the time bringing parity to the game. Nobody is more thrilled than the Marlins and the Cubs. Frankly, this is one of the best playoffs I can remember, so far!

[Cool]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Cool! Give the Yanks a nice long break before they face Oakland!"

Here, Ic, is a little snack for you. Would you like mustard or ketchup with them?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Heh! Enjoy your short playoff life, Elizabeth!

[Cool]

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaaaaaaaah my dorm just ERUPTED!!!

*cheers wildly for the Red Sox*

Man, my campus is going to be divided in half....

[Party]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Red Sox won! A Yankees-Red Sox playoff! Woo woo!!

... now, if the Cubs can get past the Marlins, it'll be Yankees-Cubs or Red Sox-Cubs... cool!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

That's OK Elizabeth. While I hate Boston, I'm glad they won.

Really.

I'll enjoy watching the Yankees beat them much more that I would have enjoyed beating the As. I will also enjoy watching Boston lose to New York more than I would have enjoyed watching them lose to Oakland!

[Cool]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ha! There are going to be wheelchairs flying at my grandmother's assisted living place in Newburyport, MA. She moved up from Long Island last year, a 90 year-old, watch-every-game Yanks fan.

Our rivalry pales in comparison, but I still say: mustard or ketchup?

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
WWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Icarus, you know I love your opinion on baseball.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what Icarus said re: baseball appreciation... maybe it's because I know the game well, but to me there's always drama and tension, even if it's quiet, in things as little as watching a pitcher try to get ahead of the hitter on a count, in the hitters trying to get a rally together, in the pitcher trying to get out of an inning when there's men on base with nobody out...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Whooooooooo, Go Mackstress!

Question: Why, oh why, did they keep panning back to Jillian's? Oh, the pain of those shots.

Dash Rendar
Member # 3571

- posted      Profile for Dash Rendar           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

My heart is <i>still</i> beating unhealthily fast.

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Tension:
I got to the end of the game, and flipped over to the Daily Show, thinking, "I just can't take it, i just can't take it," but I flipped right back.

I was tense from the first pitch on.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap. I kept switching the channel, then switching back 'cause I didn't want to MISS anything.

And that COLLISION.. [Eek!]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I missed the collision! I am glad, actually.
Dash Rendar
Member # 3571

- posted      Profile for Dash Rendar           Edit/Delete Post 
The collision...... [Frown]

Did you notice how Damon's body turned like 60 degree's in midair just from that impact? Ouch!

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a truly exciting game. THAT is why baseball is so much more exciting then football, or basketball.

Damon and Jackson scared the living daylights out of me. I have never seen a worse collission in baseball. Damon is lucky to be alive. He caught Jackson's forehead JUST NEXT to his temple at full speed. That is a lot of momentum transfer through a small area right next to the brain.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am very worried about Damon. I was also disgusted by the reaction of the fans. I really hope he will be OK.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
What will happen if there is a "collision of curses" and the Cubs play the Red Sox in the world series?

Does anyone find this majorly wrong or should we be happy that the odds of one curse lifting are good.

I know the sports commentators that say X is as likely to happen as the Cubs winning the world series are probably getting mildly concerned.

Will we have the number of old folks deaths predicted in either Chicago or Boston for those people who were merely staying alive in hopes that the team would win one in their lifetime?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What will happen if there is a "collision of curses" and the Cubs play the Red Sox in the world series?
Something too terrible to imagine. [Smile]
Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, theories range from meteor strikes, to four horsemen of the apocalypse.

My personal favorite is space-time continuum is disrupted, freezing fenway park in time with a full count, bases loaded, bottom of the ninth, tie game, in game seven. The pitch will be halfway to home plate when both teams are suspended in time. This space-time anomoly will not abate for 1000 years, by which time baseball will no longer be a professional sport, thus negating the relevance of what happens when the pitch reaches home plate. (Yes, game seven is at fenway if the red sox make the world series this year).

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack, you are amazing!

The theory at my school is that if the Cubs play the Sox the game will be cancelled and they will both be declaired the loosers.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Who cares about the Cubs or Red Sox? The Marlins are already the story of the year and there's no reason to believe that they won't continue to be. The 60-1 Marlins are eight games from becoming the first team to win two World Series as a Wild Card. Anyone doubting the Fish because they are losing tonight have already forgotten the series against the Giants. Fox still wants the Marlins to lose but that isn't going to stop 'em in the end.

Go Marlins!!! [The Wave]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Schmarlins.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Red Sox.

And I have to say, having a girlfriend who is a Red Sox fan is very nice perk.

Also, Elizabeth, I grew up in Newburyport (as did my parents). One of my favorite places in the world!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Mad] [Cry] [Mad]

The first I heard that there was a game on was in this thread. The radio this morning said both series began tomorrow! Since I thought there was no game on today, I took advantage of tonight to come in to work and catch up on some of my paperwork. Now I see on ESPN Gametrack that I'm missing one heck of an exciting game!

[Mad] [Cry] [Mad]

[Mad] [Mad]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

What a game again!!!

Let's go Marlins!!!!
[The Wave] [Party]
[Hat] [Party] [The Wave] [Party]
[Party] [Party]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

ICARUS: DO NOT READ THIS POST!

"And I have to say, having a girlfriend who is a Red Sox fan is very nice perk."

Bok,
When I met my husband nineteen years ago, I was a Yankees fan. Part of our attraction, frankly, was a little bit of that ribbibg that goes along with a Yankee fan-Red Sox fan combination.(talk about "What is your sign" as a pickup line) Over the years, as I witnessed his annual heartbreak, I was converted.
Now, there is a seven year old boy in this house, and the cycle begins again. I am hoping not to have to watch HIS heart break this year. Sheesh, they have to give ths family, and millions of others, a break, don't you think?

Icarus
Member # 3162

Eh?

Why not?

Bokonon
Member # 480

Elizabeth I agree. Of course, this comes from a person who had 2 grandparents born in 1919... Not a single grandparent of mine saw the Red Sox win a World Series.

And my great grandmother was only 5 or so.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

The thing is, what would happen to red sox nation if they WON?
Bokonon
Member # 480

Good times, good times....

-Bok

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
GO MARLINS!!!

What an exciting game they played last night!!!

Love those Marlins. [Big Grin]

Here's to Pudge and Lowell for pulling out the win last night.

[Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

[The Wave]

[Party]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

I have to agree with Paul, wouldn't the consequences of a Red Sox win be far greater than the benefits?

Go Marlins!!! [The Wave]
[Party] [Party]

Paercival
Member # 1408

- posted      Profile for Paercival   Email Paercival         Edit/Delete Post 
the party wouldn't end until opening day.
the city would be shut down for at least a week.
riots would burn the city to the ground.

go soxies [Smile]

Posts: 348 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Isn't that a bad thing? [Wink]

Go Marlins!!! [The Wave]
[Party] [Party] [Party]

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
. . . riots would burn the city to the ground.
Well, when you put it that way, almost do you convince me to cheer for them! [Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

We'll make SURE to riot in YOUR city. [Wink]
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

WOO HOO ! RIOTS AT ICARUS' HOUSE!

*Brings the Sam Adams*

Icarus
Member # 3162

::prepares fire hose::

Puhleaze. As soon as you all found out there was no chowder here, you'd turn around and head home, grumbling and whining all the way.

mackillian
Member # 586

'course not. it's chowdah. [Razz]

Red Sox 5, Yankees 2. [Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

One. Game.

moron. [Razz]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!
My whole cheering force is behind them now that the Braves have lost.
Poor Braves. [Frown]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

More than zero.

Assmonkey.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, you were NOT supposed to read my post, because you would find out that I started life as a Yanks fan.
Sheesh. Some people just can't follow directions.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.