FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Hatrack productive or counterproductive?

Author Topic: Is Hatrack productive or counterproductive?
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Well? Is Hatrack a force of good in this world or a force of unmaking?

After all, we can't deny the fact that lots of people spend time here procrastinating and/or not doing the work they should be doing. And it can't be denied that time spend on Hatrck could be spend elsewhere, in the so-called real world. The serious threads never lead to resolution. The fluff threads are, well, just fluff.

So... what's the point of posting on this forum? And is it worth the costs in time it takes away from that 'other' life of ours?

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
But see, posting here makes me a lot happier than studying french grammar. And thus, I'm a better citizen.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
You're correct. Time to leave. Must work. It was fun while it lasted.

Love ya, Hatrack. but I have been a slothful employee long enough.

Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The serious threads never lead to resolution. The fluff threads are, well, just fluff.
Well, even if the serious threads don't lead to resolution for you, or to concensus for the community at large, it doesn't mean they don't lead to resolution for some. And fluff has its place, and whether your use of the term "just" implies either solely or merely, I'd say you're wrong, and selling them short. While I'd grant that there are fluff threads with little objective value and possibly (or usually) no subjective value, they are not valueless.

Just as we need sleep to recharge physically, it's possible that we function better mentally if we have a mental break as well, and fluff threads can be (and have been, at least for me) useful in such a regard.

So if you're wrong, should I tell you?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, okay. I was exaggerating. Some threads lead to resolution for some. And fluff threads do have some value.

But the question still stands, does this value outweigh the value of doing something else, given the amount of time we spend here?

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
You're also assuming "value" to be measurable in a one-dimensional manner. Could it be more valuable politically yet less valuable socially? More valuable emotionally but less valuable monetarily? I don't believe your question can really be answered, because you haven't defined value in any concrete manner.

Perhaps what you're really asking is how one defines value?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Hatrack is tons more valuable than, say, playing Freecell or Solitaire. And as for unmaking, I think people who are going to procrastinate or play hookey are going to do that without Hatrack, so it's not a reflection on Hatrack that it attracts this type of person. (And yes, I can be "this type of person" too.) Do you blame the theaters for truancy because they show a 1:30 matinee.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it does. The thing of greatest value to me is the friendships, I think. Like half a dozen or so of the very best friends of my life I've made here on hatrack. The friendship of so many people from all over the world has given me a global outlook, too. And more importantly, I've gained a proprietary interest somehow (Uncle Orson may have been a part of this, or my conversion to LDS, or hatrack, or all three, I'm not quite sure) in the survival of the human species through the next few hundred years, so I've really begun aiming my life toward working on that. So, yeah, I think I can safely say that hatrack has changed my whole life. For the better? I think so. I aim a lot higher now, and have more fun while I'm at it! [Smile]

Don't dismiss the genetic recombinant factor, either. Part of the long term effect of hatrack will be the whole generation of double-hatrack gene kids that will be spawned from all the hatrack couples that have met here and married. I do believe those kids will surely be able to change the world if we don't manage to get the job done in this generation. [Smile]

[ October 02, 2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: ana kata ]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

quote:
I aim a lot higher now, and have more fun while I'm at it!
I always thought you were a little silly in the chatroom....
ana kata
Member # 5666

Papa? I don't think I get it. Is this an onanism joke? [Confused]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

No -- drug reference. Sorry, other minds do not work the way mine does. This is a positive thing for the world.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
aim = AIM

higher = in a state even more high (i.e. from drugs)

Wow, that just sucked out all the Funny. Sorry, Pop.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

"Sucked out all the Funny," though... well, wouldn't exactly be Onanism, now, would it. Unless....
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more scared that I got the joke, personally.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this thread productive or counterproductive?
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
It used to be productive for me, now it is nearly entirely counterproductive. Of course, if it weren't Hatrack it would be something else, so I don't mind too much.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my view is that Hatrack is a very productive use of time, or at least has the potential to be. I see it as, first and foremost, as a place to exchange ideas and work out our own views. Maybe it used to be more that way than it is now (Get with it Hatrack! We've got to save the world here!), but I still think it serves that role. And although we don't come to agreement on things, I'm not sure that's the point of debating ideas, and I know it's not realistic. Just the process of exchanging views and debating itself makes us understand things better over time, and come to better, more-thought-out conclusions. I think it's a very important thing for a person to do, particularly in a democracy where you have a share in running the country. In fact, it's my view that if there is any way to begin trying to save the world, that's how to start. I firmly belive that if people took the time to understand things better - things like right and wrong or the opinions of others - then the world would be a better place. At the very least it would be less apathetic. So, at the very least, I think we are saving the world here - which is probably worth the time.

In the meanwhile, though, we make friends. And friends are valuable, even if they are 'internet friends', don't you think? Obviously, you can't do the things you can with friends you know in real life (until you meet them face to face at least.) However, people at Hatrack have shown me just how valuable online friends can be in spite of this.

I don't believe making friends is ever a waste of time.

As for fluff threads, I think they do serve a function usually. They seem to help both of the latter two functions of Hatrack. For one thing, they help us make friends. For another thing, many actually involve expressing ideas and thoughts about ourselves, although in a different way than a so-called serious thread would. And thirdly, they are fun. And there's nothing wrong with fun!

I have to say there's a side of me that doesn't quite believe this though. There's a side that often thinks maybe I shouldn't be spending hours of my day online - that I should be outside running around or something more 'real'. It sometimes makes good points, but I don't think I can buy it. For one, undebateable thing, Hatrack has changed my life and thinking - perhaps even for the better. That alone, I think, is enough to refute the idea that Hatrack might not be worthwhile.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is evil, but I find it's color scheme to be very relaxing.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
What's so bad about counterproductivity? Must we always be productive?

And, on a more serious note, what of septic tank repair?

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you have one of these threads about once a year, Tres? [Smile]
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I try for two or three a year if I can... but, you know, can't spend all my time on this forum!
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop is right - mental breaks are essential.

And Erik is right, as well - trying to be productive all the time is actually counterproductive in the long run because it leads to burnout and breakdown.

Remember, "All work and no play..." [Smile]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

EVERYTHING that is really groundbreakingly important in human life is fun. Like when Einstein thought of special relativity when he was 13, do you think he did that as work? Heck no! He did it for the pure fun of it! Just because he loved playing around with thoughts like that and because his mind wouldn't let go of it. When Feynman did the work that led to his Nobel Prize in physics, it started out from him thinking about the way the picture on the school plates wobbled as they were thrown like frisbees in the cafeteria. Everything I've ever done that was a true expression of creativity or brilliance was just a pure joy while I was doing it. I think the fact that something is a lot of fun can be taken as evidence that it's much MORE worthwhile, rather than less.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.