FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So many apples, so little time - again! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: So many apples, so little time - again!
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I *love* Golden delicious apples. Most of the ones I see in the supermarket are green, but the ones I'm talking about are solid yellow and the size of a softball. They are the sweetest apple I've ever had. They're not quite as crisp as some other apples I've had, but they're divine.

I think you can only get them in California, though. Sad.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
sarcasticmuppet,

my advice, FWIW, is to see if there are any farmers' markets near you with a decent apple vendor. Many, maybe most, are like the ones at the market I go to now. Tell them what you like, and they can make suggestions about what apple varieties of their own might come closest in texture and taste.

That was my situation when I did without macouns for a few years. They're still my favorites, maybe for sentimental reasons, but there are plenty of other apples that filled the void quite nicely. [Smile]

Sndrake, the fresh apple evangelist [Razz]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
apple apple apple apple apple apple apple apple MUSHROOM MUSHROOM! AH! Worm! A worm! Worm it's a worm! Ooooooo it's a worm!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

(Judging from that last post, I'd say it's more likely Telperion's been into the mushrooms than the apples. I can tell. Cuz I saw a TV show about it or something. [Smile] )
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
snicker the badgers are taking over the forum
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What is this badger thing I keep hearing about?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You people are very strange.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

And some of us are proud of that fact, Dag <g> [Taunt] [Cool] [Hat]

Goody

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, have you seen footy?

Goooaal, it's a goooaal ...

[ September 11, 2004, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
You people are very strange.

Uh, Dag, you ought to look at your post count.

You, my friend, are part of "you people."

[Smile]

(It's night time - I only want to deal with fluff. I'll get back to the serious threads tomorrow.)

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
^
|
|
|-------- If you want the footy, sndrake, you have to do the badger first.

I'm just sayin.' [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I MUST send Footy on to my King friends... several soccer fans and one guy who's moving here to the States from England to be with his lady love (awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww)

Goody

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

oh, and speaking of post counts.... i've managed to double mine in a week? LOL
sndrake
Member # 4941

Fascinating - I couldn't find an entry anywhere for a "Lustre Eldar" apple. Finally, I did come across an entry for "Lustre Elstar" - this is probably the apple variety I bought today.

Unlike the batch of macouns, the Elstars are LESS tart than they are supposed to be. Which is fine with me - puts the apple firmly in the "great snack" range.

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Icarus, try peeling an apple and see if you have the same reaction! I'm really curious to know the results.
I want to respond too. I find that the irritation/itchiness is definitely to something in the peel. This also explains why I have a problem with red apples, but not yellow ones.

What I used to do in college was to cut the apples from the dining hall into quarters, sprinkle them with the cinnamon sugar from the shaker kept near the toaster, and then nuke them for about a minute and a half. Semi-baked apples... [Smile]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Oral Allergy Syndrome is more common than it is diagnosed. Many fruits cause reactions in persons who are allergic to the pollens; e.g., apples cause reaction in those allergic to the tree pollen, and melons cross-react with ragweed pollen (same family).

Symptoms range from a mild burning/itchy feeling when eating the raw fruit to full-blown anaphylaxis (rare). Usually the cooked fruit can be handled with ease, although sometimes it may cause abdominal cramping and diarrhea (see above - this is rare, too).

Yozhik, I bet you'd test quite positive on an allergic skin test. Do you have problems with seasonal allergies?

[Cooooool ... Alton Brown has an apple show this am. [Cool] ]

[ September 12, 2004, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara,
My oral allergy has noe traveled to my lungs, and it feels like little needles are in them. It is killing me right now,as we have a big apple farm down the road, and it is time for some killer Macs. Waaah.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Oooooooowwww. [Frown]

Have you seen a professional about this? If you live where your allergy is, you might not just consider medication, but also "allergy shots" to build up tolerance?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
And some of us are proud of that fact, Dag
Hell, I’m strange and proud of that fact. But sometimes it just needs reiterating. [Big Grin]

quote:
Uh, Dag, you ought to look at your post count.

You, my friend, are part of "you people."

(It's night time - I only want to deal with fluff. I'll get back to the serious threads tomorrow.)

I understand. Luck for me, Eve likes strange.

quote:
Have you seen a professional about this? If you live where your allergy is, you might not just consider medication, but also "allergy shots" to build up tolerance?
Can allergy tests determine if someone is allergic to cats? I've had some issues, but haven't been exposed enough to know for sure. We want to buy two kittens, but not if it's going to make me wheezy all the time.

Dagonee

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Yup. Pinprick test on the skin to look for a local wheal-and-flare reaction. Your insurance may or may not cover it -- the details can be Byzantine -- but your primary care doctor should be able to help and would (likely) be necessary for the referral.

Be aware that allergists tend to be booked ahead for months, so it's worth looking into soon if you want the information before Christmas.

[ September 12, 2004, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Now how did you know that Christmas was in the plans? [Big Grin] Although we actually just decided to get fish this Christmas and kitties over the summer when I can be home every night. I want them to like me, too.

Thanks for the info. Off to read up on Eve's health benefits.

Dagonee

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[Smile] Good luck. Tell us what happens if you do it!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dags,
Good luck getting a Christmas kitten! I think VA is cold enough that they do not breed at that time. Ask a vet, but we had a dickens of a time finding one, and ended up with a ringworm-infested six month old cat that we were told was a twelve week old kitten. She is a dear, sweet, beautiful cat now, but it was not fun when the family got ringworm.

Sara, I am still OK with Granny Smith apples, and I can eat any cooked fruit. It is raw nuts(which I LOVE), peaches, apples, and cherries(the worst). Plums are OK, for some reason.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Allergy patterns are so odd. It's hard to predict what will happen, which will get worse and what ones may later develop. They are such a source of misery, too.

[ September 12, 2004, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to let y'all know that our baby is now addicted to: Monkey, monkey, monkey, monkey, monkey, monkey, monkey,MUSHROOM,MUSHROOM......after reading this thread last night.

Yaay, Steven! Glad the Elstars turned out to be great, even though the Macouns weren't.

Made a yummy apple pie last night and am now calling it breakfast. *grin*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

*comprehension (maybe) about badgers and footies will have to wait until tomorrow, when I am using computers that can handle the stuff on those lines.*

Maybe I'll understand what the heck y'all are talking about after that. Or not.

I'm cool either way. [Smile]

Christy, why do I keep seeing this sign hanging somewhere in your kitchen? (not that I know what your kitchen looks like)

"PIE: NOT JUST FOR BREAKFAST ANYMORE"

[ September 12, 2004, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

sndrake
Member # 4941

*bump*

If for no other reason than this:

I intend to copy and paste parts about apple varieties I've tried, along with the recommendations of others, into a master "apple file" for reference during future apple seasons.

We've had a dry season in Illinois - the apples are running very small.

The daringest selection I made last weekend was some Cox Orange Pippins.

Never heard of them before - turns out they're really popular in England, though. Good apple, even if it's not quite as crisp as I usually like. Manages to be sweet and tangy at the same time, with a slight spicy tang I can't quite pin down. This will probably be my only sampling of them this year - the vendor said last week's batch was the last of the harvest, and mentioned they only have a few trees.

I have some Sweet Sixteens with me as well - they're familiar from last year. Not quite as sweet as a red delicious, and nicely crisp.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I have developed a taste for green apples.

Before, I liked red. Now I like them green.

Green apples are crisper, and have more verve. Green apples have gumption and moxy.

Red is dead.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have a craving for apples. What apples make the best apple pie? If I get the house cleaned quickly enough then maybe--MAYBE--I will make a pie for my party. Though my pie-making skills are only so-so. Still, APPLE PIE!!! YUM!!!
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Big Grin] (at Scott)

Most of the apples I get at the market shouldn't really be called "red" - they're more a mixture of red, yellow, and green (pinkish hues here and there as well).

They have style and flavor!

But to be honest, I don't really care about the style - it's all about taste and texture.

Edit to add: We have a few pie-bakers who've posted on this thread. Hopefully, one of them can help you out with the pie suggestions. Never been a pie baker myself.

[ September 22, 2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up with a 100-tree apple orchard, sndrake. I have definite favorites (The orchard basically died after a particularly bad hail/wind storm, so it is no longer, although I hope to replant it all someday).

What are some of your favorites?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Stephen, this site has a wonderful gallery of photos of different varieties to try...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Hey Farmgirl,

Macouns have been my number one favorite for years. Unfortunately, the crop of macouns this year in Illinois are running very tart - to the point where they don't really taste like what I expect from Macouns.

I like Swiss Gourmets and Honeycrisps.

But basically, I like apples ranging from mildly tart to mildly sweet and very crisp. I'm trying to build systematic knowledge of the varieties that meet that profile.

It's a project I should have begun long ago - but I'm having fun with it now. Fun diversion for about 7 weeks each year.

Christy
Member # 4397

quote:
Christy, why do I keep seeing this sign hanging somewhere in your kitchen? (not that I know what your kitchen looks like)

"PIE: NOT JUST FOR BREAKFAST ANYMORE"

*giggle* I managed to miss that last comment, Stephen! Although my kitchen bears no such adornment, I may just have to remedy that.

Pie apples: I usually use Jonagold and Cortland, but I tried Wealthy this last time. It depends on what you want your pie to be like. The Wealthy broke down so that the apples were mushy and I combined that with some Gala which stayed whole.

We're going to be away this weekend at Karen's and were away last weekend at the Oz fest, so I'm getting worried that I'll run out of apples. *grin*

Karen -- if I can squeeze the time, I'll bake an apple pie for your party!

[ September 22, 2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
What apples make the best apple pie?
I use Granny Smiths for pie, but I don't experiment much and have never heard of most of the varieties mentioned in this thread.

Grannys are a little tart eaten as is, which I think balances well against the sugar and spices added to the pie. And they hold up well (at least in my opinion) in baking. I typically pile up to about 3 inches over the rim of the pieplate while uncooked, so that when they cook down I still have a nice dome.

Goody

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone answered your question, Sndrake...

the reason cider has trace amounts of protein while apple juice doesn't is that there are bugs in cider, from the frementing process and the way cider is made.

Worms, and the occasional flying bug...

YummY!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Thanks, Kwea.

I had the answer already.

I figured the reason nobody had replied was because they were all in denial - an underrated and much maligned coping mechanism. [Wink]

sndrake
Member # 4941

I got a bunch of varieties this time at the market - haven't even had time to try to remember and try them all yet.

So far, though...

Red Haralson - but it might also be called a Haralred, I think. Anyway, the taste is nice - tart, but not over-the-top. Tough, not crisp, but still juicy. Not bad.

Holiday - large, really crisp, really juicy. Great mildly tart flavor. Turns out it's a fairly recent hybrid, coming from Macoun and Jonathan parentage.

Sunday I had Holiday apple slices with peanut butter for breakfast. It was yummy. [Smile]

Christy
Member # 4397

Finally got my honeycrisps! And I had them with peanut butter on Friday [Wink]

I'm so impressed with your success at trying new variaties! We don't have either of those here.

sndrake
Member # 4941

Christy,

How many varieties are available at the orchard or market you go to? There's a big variety - and it changes each week - at the market I go to on Saturdays.

Two more to review:

Prima - large, almost pinkish apple. Mildly sweet. Decent flavor. Both of which were more or less spoiled for me due to the texture. Very soft and relatively dry - no juice dripping on my hands from this apple. I don't think it's because they're old, these are all pretty fresh apples. Could just be how they're supposed to be.

Melrose - On the small side. Fairly crisp, with an amazingly tough skin. Ideal taste profile for me - mildly tart, a little sweet. Nice apple.

Good news on Macouns - turns out if I only pick out the larger one, I get the taste I'm looking for. It's only the smaller ones that are over the top in their tartness.

Christy
Member # 4397

Had to dig this thread up. [Smile]

There are probably about fifty varieties or so at the orchard we go to. Its amazing how many of the farmers market orchards just sell the common varieties. I haven't heard of either of the two varieties you reviewed.

The Macouns are supposedly really affected by when they are taken off the tree. If they're left on the tree longer they become sweeter.

We just tried Fortune, Sparta, more Honeycrisps and I want to say Fireside, but I'm not sure about that. Fortune is a WONDERFUL apple! Apple cider in an apple with a medium texture. The skin is a bit tough, but it was well worth it for the goodness inside.

What I remember as the fireside is a small keeper apple, but I haven't tried that one yet.

We also got some Macintosh for pies, which I don't usually do, but it made a good pie.

Only one more good weekend left for apples up here. [Frown]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Shoot!

I'm in Rochester, NY and passed up some Fortunes when we went to the orchard yesterday.

I branched out and tried a few new ones last week - have to get my notes upstairs later. But one I remember is the Cameo - nice little apple, crisp, with a tart and mildly sweet flavor.

I think the apple crop here in upstate NY is maybe a little behind the Southern Illinois apples I've been getting at home. The [i]macouns[/1] looked kinda green.

Have snacked twice so far on triscuits, ultra sharp cheddar and cider. Yummm....

The sound of the triscuits crunching drowns out the sound of my arteries clogging.

Life is good. [Smile]

sndrake
Member # 4941

Just a couple quick notes:

Keepsake apples are kinda lumpy and small, but are of the crisp, juicy, and sweet/tart variety.

If you have a real sweet tooth, the honey gold would be your apple. Absolutely the sweetest apple I've ever tasted. It's crossed with a golden delicious and something else.

I'm still in Rochester. I converted my 5-year-old nephew into being an apple fan. He decided he didn't like apples some time back, but decided to try a slice of what I was eating since I obviously enjoyed it.

A slice of a honeycrisp apple won him over - not just because it was sweet, but because of the juiciness. (He has decided that they are better without peanut butter, though.) [Smile]

And I discovered that my 16-month-old niece has already discovered the power of cheese. [Smile]

She gobbled down a few slivers of my sharp cheddar with glee.

Time to do laundry followed by packing. Back home tonight.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a winesap the other day that just had exquisite flavor. The texture was slightly more granular than I like, but not bad at all. I had something else too, that was even better, but the name escapes me, frustratingly enough. Red something-or-other. More tart than either a Jonathan or a Winesap. I'm going back to that farmer's market tomorrow, so I should be able to find out (and get a big sack of them) then.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Yaay, more adorable apple converts!

Edit: *giggle* I think m "fireside" were keepsake. Don't know where fireside came from. My poor little brain!

[ October 13, 2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

So how do you eat your apples? I take it that sndrake is a slicer, and likes to put stuff on them. I prefer to eat mine whole (a bite at a time, mind you) at room temperature or slightly warmer (as from hanging from their trees in the late afternoon sun).

Anybody else had pets that like apples? When I was very small we had a dog that loved apples. She was a german shepherd, and pretty much took care of all the windfall apples under our trees. She also liked grapes, which was a bit of a pain, since she could reach the grape vines with no problem, and would often go along the row of vines devouring all the grapes before we could harvest them.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Christy,

Seems like a natural semantic glitch to me. Keepsakes are often arranged around the fireside, after all. [Wink]

Noemon,

I eat most of my apples the way you do. Bite by bite at room temperature. Sometimes, though, when I need something more substantial I'll do the peanut butter thing for breakfast or a snack - it adds protein and fat to the carbs, fiber and water in the apples. And it tastes great.

I brought out the slices with my nephew simply because I know this 5-year-old pretty well. He's not a voracious eater. A slice of an apple looks a whole lot less daunting than a whole one, even if you tell him he doesn't have to eat the whole thing. Offering a slice instead of a whole apple was a pretty big factor in his decision to go ahead and try.

Haven't had any pets that seemed crazy about apples, but I doubt your dog is the only one out there with a craving for fruit. [Smile]

Christy
Member # 4397

Mostly I eat mine whole and refrigerated, but I am also known to slice with an apple corer and spread peanut butter on top. I also love caramel apples and usually dip a few once during the season. I make applesauce, but haven't this year and I usually make two or three pies which I may top this year. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

I love to core a nice, tart apple bake it, and eat it plain. The apple itself is fairly good, but the syrup that develops from it is one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted. Other people like to pack the empty core space with spices, nuts, raisins, and butter, I know, but I prefer mine plain.

The dog loved apples and grapes, but she hated peaches. If you threw her a peach she'd catch it, let it drop, and look very offended. An apple would mollify her though.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.