FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Suggest Movies At Me (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Suggest Movies At Me
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this thing in which I want to rent a ton of movies out of my local library, but the very second I try to figure out which ones I want to put on hold, I seem to forget all of them.
So feel free to suggest movies, any movies, even bad movies that will annoy me to know end because anything can be intellectually stimulating.
The sort of movies I like:
Poignant stories about people triumping over adversity
Kung Fu movies.
Anime, especially Miyazaki
Movies about people who are just so cool.
Historically accurate docudramas
A drama with comedic elements.

Movies I hate:
Romantic comedies with irratating political messages engrained in them.
Annoyingly hyper-patriotic crappy films like Independence Day and Armegeddon.
Movies about freaking serial killers unless Emily Watson is in it.
Most old cowboy movies
Stupid teenager comedy movies except for American Pie.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayne
Member # 5722

- posted      Profile for rayne   Email rayne         Edit/Delete Post 
Legend, Labrynth, Never Ending Story, Ewoks, nd the Dark Crystal [Smile] it's best to see those when you're little and let them help shape your imagination growing up, but it's never too late
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*Claps* I've seen a few of those movies and they rock! The book version of the Neverending Story is so excellent!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
You NEED to watch movies by Akira Kurosawa. I recommend The Seven Samurai, if you can sit still for three hours, anyway. It's just so... wow. I also loved The Bad Sleep Well, which is harder to find but EXCELLENT.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*cheers*
I love Kurosawa! Especially a movie I saw in Japanese movie class called No Regrets in Our Youth. It was about this woman who married a guy who was some sort of political protestor. It's about how she changes and becomes strong. It has such brilliant scenes like the bushes shaking as they seem to mock her.
Then you have Rashomon to consider.
Another great old Japanese movie I saw was called Love Suicide and it had koken (i think that is what they are called) in it like a bunraku play. So awesome.

rayne
Member # 5722

[Smile] based on the other thread you have going, I think you should watch Shine and A Beautiful Mind
Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Red Violin
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
How are you about Jackie Chan?

Some of my favorites of his are Who am I?, Gorgeous, and the Legend of Drunken Master. Warning: Gorgeous might be construed as "romantic comedy" but you know how much better it is in Chinese. [Smile] I also love City Hunter, which is a chinese Jackie movie based on an old anime. It's hilarious. [Big Grin]

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ordinary People.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*loves Jackie Chan*
Especially his Hong Kong movies. They are better than the American movies in my opinion.
Then you have Jet Li who is so cute (We need a heart smilie) I lvoe him in Tai Chi Master.
Then there is the awesome Peking Opera Blues. If you can get this movie, see it, it's the best. It has some of the neatest scenes in it and Bridgette Lin is in this movie being so cool.
Then there is Farewell My Concubine which is a depressing movie and isn't even a Kung Fu movie, it's just in my top ten.

MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Golden Harvest movies are a million times better than the American ones.

You will be happy that Jackie and Jet are doing a movie together not too far in the future. Did you hear about that?

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

They are?!?!? That's so cool! I was just thinking they should do a movie together! [Eek!]
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

I learned about it at Hollywood Stock Exchange. Almost nothing is known about this movie except that I think it's the one they're working on at the moment. It doesn't have a name yet either. Sorry no more info. [Frown]
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ghost World, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, MST3K The Movie, The Pianist
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Meet the Pest, Gigli, Glitter, Mr. Magoo and Dudley Dooright
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
For a while, I was afraid that my black comedy -- an anime about a cool young Kung Fu expert who loses both legs in a tragic accident but comes back to save his sassy, sardonic girlfriend -- was perhaps too "niche" to find an audience. But now I know Synth would watch it. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
"Poignant stories about people triumping over adversity."
It's not a movie yet, but I want to make a film about this poor guy in WWII, true story. I think he was Polish. So the Nazis capture him; he escapes. The Russians capture him. I think he escapes from them at least once. Then they ship him off to Siberia. This camp is not guarded well because they are in the middle of nowhere. The Russians guard the one train that comes in over the Trans Siberian Railway. If prisoners want to escape to starve in the wilderness with no gear they can. Our hero escapes with a few other prisoners. They proceed to hike thousands of miles with no equipment, all the way to friggin' India! Through Siberia. Through China. Through the Gobi Desert that the Mongols called "the Roof of the World." Through Tibet. Over the Himalayas, the tallest mountains on Earth. All the way to British India, on foot, no maps, no equipment, nada.

Presumably, they took a break then. They had earned one. I have never heard a story quite like it and it would make an awesome film in the right hands. Someday I hope to write the screenplay as a tribute to one man who just refused to give up, NO MATTER WHAT. Kind of puts my dateless weekend in perspective.
The Long Walk, by Slavomir Rawizc. "with nothing but an ax, a knife, and a week's worth of food." My bad, he had a axe and a knife. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayne
Member # 5722

My little brother read that in his English/History class last year and he really liked it- like, it was more interesting than the game cube for an entire weekend
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Whoa! That sounds like an interestng story!
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Grand Canyon. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Two of my favorites might fit your criteria:

Awakenings features really good performances by Robert De Niro and Robin Williams. Based on a real event, it tells the story of a number of patients who, after about 30 years of what everyone thought was complete oblivion, came awake. Great movie that had the misfortune of being overshadowed by Dances with Wolves that year.

Which brings me to my second recommendation,
Smoke Signals , based on short stories by Sherman Alexie. It tells the story of two young Indian (the term used in the movie) men who go on a journey to claim the body of the other's long-missing father. It's modern-day, poking fun at mainstream white culture as well as reservation culture. There's also at least one little jibe at Costner's film. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I don't like Grand Canyon. I got to figure out why that is... I think it's politics or something... hmm
I love Smoke Signals! I got to see one of the guys who was in the movie (who is so good looking, by the way.) I loved the part when they were singing about John Wayne's teeth on the bus and the women that drove backwards all day long listening to Dar Williams.
And Awakenings is awesome too! Oliver Sach is a cool man. I saw him on this show called the Glorious Accident talking about migraines. He seems quiet.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
"the women that drove backwards all day long listening to Dar Williams."HAHAHA
That was one of the funniest parts in the movie.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Warning - I am about to do some shameless namedropping!

quote:
I love Smoke Signals! I got to see one of the guys who was in the movie (who is so good looking, by the way.) I loved the part when they were singing about John Wayne's teeth on the bus and the women that drove backwards all day long listening to Dar Williams.

I got to meet and talk with Sherman Alexie for awhile about a year and a half ago at the strangest of places. We have a number of things in common, one of them being hydrocephalus, and he happened to be keynoting this conference I was at. (Probably won't go to another one, but that's another story.) He gave me his phone number and email address, but I have yet to follow up. He was interested in the baby pictures I have on my website and thinking of putting some of his own up.

quote:
And Awakenings is awesome too! Oliver Sach is a cool man. I saw him on this show called the Glorious Accident talking about migraines. He seems quiet.
I corresponded with Sachs back about 10-11 years ago. I sent him a chapter from a 1932 book that described the entry of a bunch of "sleepers" into an Oklahoma institution and their "awakening." I got a nice letter back from him and I also got a copy of the original documentary produced by the BBC.

[ October 05, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
If Farewell My Concubine is in your top ten, you might enjoy To Live, a Chinese film directed by Yimou Zhang (Shanghai Triad) and starring Li Gong (Farewell). It tells the story of an impoverished husband and wife dealing with their daily struggles during China's Cultural Revolution. Although there is a lot of political commentary in the movie, they never take attention away from the personal stories which is the heart of the movie. [Smile]

Morbo~ I hope you write that screenplay!

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Some days it's a good day to die. Other days, it's a good day to eat breakfast.

I adore Smoke Signals, init?

especially, "I will feed you all!"

Anyway - back to the subject at hand - I reccommend highly Kurosawa's Dreams. Very artsy. Lovely, lovely, lovely. It's especially good for breaking in your cowgirlly roommates.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have to see Smoke Signals. Is Keith Secola's music in it?(he is a native American rock singer)Someone I know. Jerry garcia? Was that the one he was featured in?

One of my all time favorite movies was "Harold and Maude."

And, OK, I have to say it, "The In-Laws," the old one.

"Vince, stop the car!!!"

"Serpentime, Mel, serpentine!"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] @ TomD!

[ROFL]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
Try to find Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Movie. It's hilarious!(at least to me, but I'm a freak)
[EDIT: someone already recommended this]

[ October 05, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: ikantspel ]

Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I think there's some Indigenous on the SS sountrack
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Found it, finally...
http://www.secola.com/

"GRAMMY Magazine, FEATURES - Native American Pop Moves Toward The Mainstream. A number of artists have the near-term breakout potential that could springboard the genre... Keith Secola (tribal affiliation: Anishinabe) could be the Native Bruce Springsteen. His music talks about the day-to-day lives of Native Americans in language any working-class American can relate to. Secola's songs "Frybread" and "Indian Cars" are already standards on reservation radio. His fierce performances with Secola's Wild Band Of Indians made fans out of Jerry Garcia, Jim Creegan of Barenaked Ladies, Doors' drummer John Densmore and other rock heavies. He's just finishing work on his seventh self-produced album, Native Americana. "

Keith Secola is very, very good, and his song, "Frybread" was in "Smoke Signals."(I saw him this summer. Annie, go see him if he comes your way)

The Jerry Garcia movie was plain old "Smoke."

Now I can go to sleep, but I had to figure all that out. The movie will be my next pick for Netflix.

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care who you are, everyone should see Amelie.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
sndrake, I loved Awakenings, it was probably one of the best movies I've ever seen. I don't know if I could ever watch it again, but I was in shock for days after I saw it. Wow.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Amelie! Amelie is the best!
It should have won Oscar, but what do you expect from people who won't give Emily Watson an Oscar? [Mad]
Anyway, it's a great movie. I saw it once in a movie theatre with a balcony!

Annie
Member # 295

Did you make out with a hot French man in the balcony?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
If she did, I don't wanna know about it. Because I didn't, and that's a bloomin' travesty.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like Kung Fu movies and Anime, I reccomend the cartoony Kung Fu/Anime hybrid, the live action Kung Fu superhero movie. A couple of good ones to start with are The Heroic Trio and Storm Riders.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I didn't either. Sigh. But if there are any volunteers....
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I could fake a french accent.

I am Cactus Jacque.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Don’t forget some of Akira Kurosawa’s other great Samurai flicks, like Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and The Hidden Fortress. I found Throne of Blood a bit slow, and Toshiro Mufune did the worst acting job at the climax (Kurosawa insisted on using real archers to shoot arrows at him. Toshiro wasn’t acting; he was genuinely terrified. [Smile] )

For anime, try Akira (if you can stomach the gore) and Ghost in the Shell.

Don’t forget the classics. Lawrence of Arabia (wide-screen only—you don’t want to miss out on the spectacular desert scenery), Casablanca, and just about any Academy Award-winning picture.

And Sunset Boulevard, directed by Billy Wilder. I’d also recommend One, Two, Three, except that it is a comedy with an overt political message. However, the message is about the Cold War, so it may not be offensive anymore. On the other hand, some may not catch many of the jokes.

And for a historically accurate war drama, Zulu is an absolute must.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I fully second Lawerance of Arabia. Also the suggestion to get it in wide-screen. [Smile]
Barry Lyndon

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Has anyone seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding? If so, do you like it?
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like Wedding. It was cute and happy and everything, but the portrayal of the fiance was really flat and disappointing. There was no meat to the story, it was just a lame little "let's laugh at how pushy big families are" blah movie. I was surprised at how big the hype was, given I laughed all of once.
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, Bend it like Beckham was a good pseudo-mainstream foreign flick! It was charming, honest, hilarious, and taught me a few things about the Indian subculture in England. Very enjoyable, it did everything that Wedding didn't.
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
ALR, I wasn't surprised. I saw the movie before it was in wide release, and I remember thinking that everything in the movie felt familiar - that I'd seen it all before, but I couldn't quite place the source. I figured it was fine, just okay, but really, that should have been my clue that it would be an astounding success. It was like old jeans, it was clean, and the lack of personality on the part of the fiance was a plus - you can fill in your fantasy.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The book version of the Neverending Story is so excellent!
Perhaps you didn't mean to, but this implies that the movie was first.

Not so.

And the movie sucked whale vomit. The book was simply beautiful.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Poignant stories about people triumping over adversity

The Secret of Roan Inish
Mildred Pierce

Movies about people who are just so cool.

All That Jazz (just released on DVD)
Out of Sight
From Dusk Til Dawn
Fargo

A drama with comedic elements.

Laurel Canyon
Metroland

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Historically accurate docudramas

The Lion in Winter

If you haven't seen it it's time you did. If you have... well, I'm not really all that surprised because it's quite famous.

[Smile]

Also, although they are patriotic, they are classics... so you may have already seen them already as well... they kind of go together in my mind...

"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (B & W), and,
Dave

Both are simple and free-spirited patriotic American citizen triumphs over high-level political corruption. Very, very poignant. Very, very good.

[ October 07, 2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Benny and Joon. Everyone in the whole world should see Benny and Joon. It has the best scene in any movie ever, anywhere.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I love Benny and Joon. Johnny Depp is so dreamy in that movie.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.