FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I can't believe I'm linking to this website, but it made me ROFL

Author Topic: I can't believe I'm linking to this website, but it made me ROFL
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The things you come across when you follow links.
quote:
What we learned next, pretty much floored me personally. I learned that major food companies throughout America actually pay a Jewish Tax amounting to hundreds of million of dollars per year in order to receive protection. This hidden tax gets passed, of course, to all non-Jewish consumers of the products. The scam is to coerce the companies to pay up or suffer the consequences of a Jewish boycott. Jewish consumers have learned not to buy any kitchen product that does not have the (U) the (K) and other similar markings.

quote:
The "Kosher Nostra" protection racket starts when an Orthodox Rabbi approaches a company to warn the owners that unless their product is certified as kosher, or "fit for a Jew to eat", they will face a boycott by every Jew in America. Most, if not all of the food companies, succumb to the blackmail because of fear of the Jewish dominated media and a boycott that may eventually culminate in bankruptcy. Also, the food companies know that the cost can be passed on to the consumer anyway. The food companies have kept secret from the general consumer the meaning of the (U) and the amount of money they have to pay the Jewish Rabbis.

This is actually slightly frightening, that people are seriously interpreting kosher supervision of food this way, but this is from a site that thinks that the Holocaust has been exaggerated.

I choose to laugh at how they've twisted things.

To me, the funniest thing is the name with which they've dubbed it, "Kosher Nostra." There used to be a pizza place called that. It was the first kosher pizza place in Los Angeles, some 25 or 30 years ago. (There days there are lots, and Nostra was bought and changed names to "Pizza World" over 10 years ago.)

Oh, and I'd love to see the Torah text that supports this claim:
quote:
This label clashes with the Torah that states that water is not subject to Kosher Laws
Now, they're right that water doesn't really need supervision, but they'll have to search a LONG time to find any textual support for that one. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Whoever wrote that piece of "news" should be embarrassed. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The last time I was this taken aback by someone's misconceptions about kosher symbols was when someone in my study group in college asked me if it was true that the (K) stood for the KKK.

I seem to recall waiting for the punchline for a while, before realizing he was serious.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly does kosher mean?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polemarch
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Polemarch   Email Polemarch         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the "Kosher Nostra" thing *might* be a sly reference to the book Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson in which Cosa Nostra is the name of a pizza company that is run by the Mafia.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly sure it's not.

Instead, I'm fairly sure that both Snow Crash and "Kosher Nostra" are punning off the same concept.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more disgusted by the fact that people actually believe that. [Frown] Too many people think Jews have horns. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
RRR. Kosher food is food prepared according to the Torah, or Biblical Law. In the Old Testament, you will find a lot of Law on what is clean food and what is bad. Things such as Beef and Milk Products should not be served together, or cooked together. This means that a different pan (or a different stove, or a different kitchen depending on your interpretation of Kosher law) needs to be used to cook your hamburger and to cook a cheese omlette.

Further, things that are not allowed such as Pork, Insects, Shellfish, must not come into contact with the cooking materials.

Around the turn of the last century, when industrialization was first hitting food processing, and before regulations were enacted, Kosher food was considered by many to be the healthiest. Why? Because they demanded clean cooking areas, as compared to cheap cooking areas that were the norm.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Kosher Nostra, LOL. Cosa Nostra means our thing in italian and is slang for the Mafia. I love Snow Crash! While some of the science is iffy, the characters and humor more than make up for it. The first chapter with a pizza deliverer called the Deliverator is one of the funniest beginnings I have ever read.

[ October 05, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait.

So if you keep kosher, you can't have a cheeseburger?

o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Bingo!

this even extends to dishwashing - you have to use separate dishwater for meat products and dairy.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Wow. I dunno if I could keep kosher.

I didn't know it required not eating cheeseburgers.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sad life, huh?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

LOL! Mac, I've had cheeseburgers. Either the cheese or the meat is made from soy, though. [Big Grin]

quote:
clean food and what is bad
*winces* That's not a great translation of the terms.

A different KITCHEN? [Eek!] [Confused] Um . . .

But yeah, separate dishwashers. (Assuming you have one in the first place. I've had one for the past year, after 10 years with none.)

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Just this week I went out to supper with some friends, including my best friend's new squeeze. He offered me some of his veal and I declined. I explained to him that I'm a vegetarian and that I didn't eat veal even before I became one. He asked why and I explained that veal is usually soaked in milk to make it more tender and that I don't (didn't) eat meat with dairy because it's not kosher. It turns out that he thought that kosher meant food that was blessed by a rabbi.

The week before this, I was chatting with the lady who runs the European deli. She's from Russia and left as soon as it was safe after the collapse of the Soviet Union. She told me a story about how she was travelling on a train with her year-old baby and a fellow traveller told her to make sure to keep an eye on him b/c they were passing through a Jewish town. Marina asked her why and the girl told her that Jews use the blood of Christian babies to make matzoh. Marina (who's Jewish, by the way) asked the girl, who was in her late teens, how she knew this and the girl told her that she learned it from her parents and grandparents and that everyone knew it was true.

Anyway, in the interest of education - here's some info from the Orthodox Union website (http://www.ou.org/kosher/default.htm).

quote:
What does Kosher mean?

"Kosher", in Hebrew, means fit or proper, and is generally used to describe foods that are prepared in accordance with special Jewish dietary laws.

What is the source of Kosher dietary law?

The source of all Kosher dietary laws is the Bible, in the Five Books of Moses (the Pentateuch). The Bible details which forms of meat, fowl, fish and insects are not Kosher. In addition, Jewish scholars have studied, interpreted and applied Kosher law for many centuries. Thousands of volumes have been written about this topic. Many of these books date back as far as two thousand years ago. This vast array of Biblical and Rabbinic literature comprises the body of Kosher law.

What are some examples of non-Kosher foods?

Animals, such as pork, rabbit and horse meat, fowl, such as owl and storch, fish, such as cat fish, eels, shell fish, shrimp and octopus and insects are non-Kosher foods according to Biblical definitions. In addition, Kosher meat and fowl must be slaughtered by a specially trained expert in a painless ritual fashion in order to be acceptable. Dairy and meat products which commingle are not kosher. There are also special laws relating to cheese, grape juice and wine production.

How long has Kosher law been observed?

The Jewish people have observed Kosher law for over 3000 years.

Can a processed food like soda, cookies or potato chips be non-Kosher?

Yes. This is because all ingredients and subunits in a product must conform to the dietary laws in order for the food item to be considered Kosher. Even one non-Kosher ingredient can render the entire product unsuitable. Soda may contain a flavor enhancer called castorium which is extracted from beavers. Cookies may contain a non-Kosher emulsifier which is derived from animal fat. Potato chips may be fried in animal oil.

In addition, Kosher food must be processed on Kosher equipment. Equipment used with heat for non-Kosher production is rendered non-Kosher and must be Kosherized (through a special cleaning process of hot water or intense heat) to be fit for Kosher service and use.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
It turns out that he thought that kosher meant food that was blessed by a rabbi.
This is an extremely common misconception.

The blood libel has been around for centuries, and sadly, is still perpetuated by some.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.