FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » General Conference

Author Topic: General Conference
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else enjoy today's sessions of General Conference (the LDS church's semiannual worldwide broadcast) as much I did?

What were your favorite highlights?

I especially liked Elder Maxwell's talk on the redeeming qualities of doctrines of the restoration. It was incredibly deep and I'm going to have to re-read it a couple times to get it all digested.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the session yesterday because I fell asleep, but the one today was really good, I actually paid attention for once. [Smile]
Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rayne
Member # 5722

- posted      Profile for rayne   Email rayne         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems more intense as I get older. Every talk feels really relevant and important, and crucial. Is it the times, or am I just learning to appreciate fully the importance of our leaders' words?
edited to pluralise leaders instead of leader

[ October 05, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: rayne ]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikantspel
Member # 5752

- posted      Profile for ikantspel   Email ikantspel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed the same thing, but that might just be that until about a year ago I didn't pay too much attention.
Posts: 190 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Great sessions, as always. I really appreciated Elder Wirthlin's talk as it really addressed some things my wife and I have been discussing and helped us see more clearly what we need to do.

And, is it just me (I doubt it) or does anyone else just look at Pres. Hinckley with complete and total awe? Remember folks, he is 93 (right?). Wow, really inspiring.

And, of course, Elder Maxwell's completely astounding command of the English language really requires careful (and prayerful) examination.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds oddly interesting, Annie. Where are you reading the transcript? Your official site says it won't be up for some time.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Maccabeus-- probably, Annie means she'll have to re-read it a couple times when the ms comes out.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Well, that and re-reading the notes I took. I get a kick out of having an edge like that. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
The General Conference Ensigns are always my very favorite ones. I usually wait and read all the talks then, when it comes out. I'm such a print media person. Y'all let me know the high points, though, ahead of time! [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Which member of the 12 gave the talk on the nature of God? He read from the Pearl of Great Price where Enoch asks the Father why he is weeping. It was one of the Sunday sessions. I can almost conjure up the name to match the voice. Was it Jeffrey Holland?

Anyway. That was an excellent talk. An instant classic, even.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother wanted to come down from Idaho and take me to see it in Salt Lake, but there was not a ticket to be had (my talk with the bish: "No tickets? But I'm from Arkansas!"). But I saw the Saturday and Sunday morning sessions in the Taylor Hall basement (It played at every single TV available at BYU [Big Grin] ). I agree, President Hinkley is the greatest. He always has good stuff to say to the youth, too. When he quoted the Princeton Review that BYU was the most stone-cold sober school, all us girls in the basement started cheering. [Big Grin]

Jeffery R. Holland's (yes, zal, it was him) talk on who Heavenly Father really is was amazing, I thought. Worthlin's talk was also really good.

[ October 06, 2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I love Elder Holland's talk, Zalmoxis!

I just went to find my notes on it and realized I left my notebook (the only one I have - it has everything I need in it!) in the classroom I just took a test in. Zut!

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it. I saw Sunday morning session at the conference center, but was flying home in the afternoon, so I missed the last meeting. Were there any announcements? Sometimes there are announcements in the last session.

I especially liked the talk Saturday morning about how to help someone - it addressed confessions and sins and things, but also how to help people in general. What were the three things? I don't remember the first, but the last two were don't judge and to forget. That was cool.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there was an announcement for all members who were watching to quietly pack up and start heading to Missouri within the next two weeks, but not to tell anybody who wasn't watching. Um . . . oops.

UofUlawguy

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
w00t! Visitors!
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Silly law guy. Everyone knows the second coming will be announced in the Saturday morning session.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Nope. I'm afraid your conventional wisdom is wrong in this instance, kat. It will be announced at halftime of the BYU game.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's a symptom of being over 30 that I no longer enjoy Elder Maxwell's talks as much. Too much alliteration.

In contrast, I used to be really bored by Elders Packer and Holland, and now I really like them. I especially thought Holland's talk was great.

The overarching theme that touched me is the personal-ness of our relationship with God.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I actually thought that Elder Maxwell toned down the alliteration Sunday afternoon. I could be wrong, but there didn't seem to be as much as normal.

I still love his talks. But I think that he'd be more effective if he relied on just two or three well-turned phrases instead of packing his talk with them.

I do have to say though, that a few of the phrases and metaphors and allegories that he has used over the years are amazing and are invaluable contributions to Mormon theology and discourse. He just needs an editor -- he's like T.S. Eliot.

katharina
Member # 827

I really like Elder Scott. I didn't notice the stare-into-your-soul-run-to-the-bishop-to-repent eye contact this time, but maybe I was too far away.

Zal: That makes me want to lie down. And then burn this article in effigy.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

*shrugs* Hey, if there's no football in the celestial kingdom, I don't want to go there.
Annie
Member # 295

Sports missionaries? If there's football in heaven, I'll seriously reconsider hell.
katharina
Member # 827

If there's football in heaven, then we have no choice.
Annie
Member # 295

Maybe Zalmoxis and I will be in heaven together. The game starts, and he's lost in the bliss of it. Then I suddenly realize that I wasn't very good....
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't notice the stare-into-your-soul-run-to-the-bishop-to-repent eye contact this time, but maybe I was too far away.

Katie, it's ALWAYS there. [Smile] I think it's actually more potent when you're watching him on tv or broadcast. It's insane how that man can see right into my SOUL when I'm in another state. [Wink]

Elder Maxwell always gives me the feeling that I'm on the edge of a fantastic discovery...like through his talk, God is letting me see a little more of the eternal scheme of things than I've ever seen before. It's great.

Personally, I was totally blown away by the RS session 10 days ago. Wowza. Great and helpful talks that also seemed to tie into the "Heavenly Father is personally involved in your life" theme. Good stuff!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

For the record: I'm already in hell. I'm a longsuffering Cal fan. Actually it's not really hell, it's more like a state of constant suffering that burns away all hope. I'd like to think that it's a purifying zen-like process, but it's probably not.

-------
<----anxiously awaits call to be an arts and letters missionary

katharina
Member # 827

I can fill that call out for you this afternoon.

goodness, that felt slightly blasphemous

Narnia
Member # 1071

::watches as lightening strikes Katie::
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*runs over to wrap arms around Narnia*

You've been good, right? Right??

Narnia
Member # 1071

Well, unless you count that last bank I robbed...

...yeah! I've been REALLY good. [Wink]

::watches as lightening strikes both Katie and herself::

[Evil]

Annie
Member # 295

Hey, I think there are ten righteous people in my town.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

It feels weird, almost wrong, to link to a Nauvoo thread here, but wbile I'm a shameful self-promoter, I am still a self-promoter, so check out my exclusive scoop -- a leaked section from thesports missionary handbook.
katharina
Member # 827

*hangs head in shame*

I am losing my ability to detect fact from farce. I thought it was serious.

But then, I thought the original article was farce, so there you go.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Yeah, that was almost too easy. I'm sure the sugar beeters all over it too.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Today will go down in history as the day I registered on both Nauvoo and Sakeriver.

Okay, for starters the article (in Des News) ends with a sentence containing "volunteers are very valuable". That's what got me. I have pre school kids singing "alligators all around" so my alliteration-meter is very sensitive.

For you serious theologians: in the song "Come thou fount of every blessing" why do you think the following phrase was left out? "Jesus sought me when a stranger wandring from the fold of God, He to rescue me from danger interposed His precious blood."

I thought it's because we aren't actually saved by His blood. But then there is a confusing line in the primary song, "I lived in Heaven". Which I never liked due to it's lack of poetical feel. Let's see, it says: "Conquering evil and death through his glorious name."

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.