FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did anybody see "Friends" last night?

Author Topic: Did anybody see "Friends" last night?
Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
We were out and I meant to tape it but forgot to turn the VCR timer on. [Cry]
I never miss an episode and I must know what happened. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
Juliette

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda looks like Joey and Rachel broke up. I will type more.

They were getting to squicked out too have sex or be close because they were such good friends before, and they seem to sort of agree that it was over, but it was really ambiguous...it was hard to tell.

Joey says something like "I thought this was what I really wanted."
Rachel: "Yeah, me too."
Joey: "So....?"
Rachel: (long pause) "Yeah."
(long pause)
Rachel: "Well, I'm going to bed."

OH! And Ross went to one of those tanning shower places but he got tanned repeatedly on only one side, so he was black on one said and white on the other. [ROFL]

[ October 10, 2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: MaureenJanay ]

Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Juliette -- we don't watch/record that.

Oddly, I got a call from my Dad yesterday morning (who's in Shawnee Mission KS for his 50-year high school reunion, as I mentioned in another thread), asking if we had recorded The West Wing. My mom forgot to record it this week.

We, however, failed to record NYPD Blue. It was on one ABC channel but was pre-empted by election results on the other ABC channel, and I recorded the wrong one, not having checked the listings carefully enough. *sigh*

This must just be the week for screwing up recording plans. Anyone got NYPD Blue recorded from this week?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it.

Phoebe and Monica were contacted by an old friend that has become very shallow, self-centered, and terrifyingly annoying. They tried to avoid her, but she finds them and spills that ten years ago, Phoebe was trying to shake off Monica. Monica and Phoebe argue, but Phoebe reveals that she did try to shake her off, but is very glad that it didn't work and they make up and hug.

Ross goes to get the spray on tanning thing done and ends up very, very, embarassingly dark.

Rachel and Joey plan a romantic night to sleep together. Every time, though, either Rachel slaps his hand away and then apologizes, or else Joey loses his magical ability to undo bras. They try to get drunk to make it easier, and there's some physical comedy and it doesn't work. They ask Chandler if it was this weird when he hooked up with Monica, and he says no - that it was more like "We're crazy for not doing this before." Joey and Rachel look sad and decide they are too good of friends to become anything more, and I think that's it.

A Friends
forum

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You left out the most important part of the episode. Tired of the complaints that they do not have enough "people of color" on that show, they sent Ross into an "Instant Spray Tan" booth. He goofs up, doesn't turn around in time, and ends up getting double, than quadruple tanned on his front, while remaining sickly white on his back.

I didn't see the end, to know if his girlfriend complained about it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

- posted      Profile for MaureenJanay   Email MaureenJanay         Edit/Delete Post 
His girlfriend never showed up at the end.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliette
Member # 5484

- posted      Profile for Juliette   Email Juliette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the updates everybody.

Pop, sorry we don't watch NYPD Blue.

Kat, thanks for the forum link. I was looking for something like that last night but I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joey and Rachel look sad and decide they are too good of friends to become anything more, and I think that's it.
That's not how I read the scene at all. I thought that they dediced that the reason that they were having such a hard time with the physical aspect of their relationship was because they were much closer friends than Chandler and Monica had been when they had hooked up and that what that meant is that it was going to take them longer to do the physical thing and they weren't going to be all over each other like C & M, but that that was okay. They said good night and went to separate bedrooms because 1) Joey's 'misters' were injured (Rachel kneed him) and 2) there was no need to force things.

So is my different reading the result of some gender thing, or am I just a better discourse parser than kat and MJ (although MJ does admit that the scene was ambiguous)?

-------
SIDENOTE: this has nothing to do with Friends, but instead of creating a new thread...

On the train this morning there was a young women with a t-shirt that read: IDAHO? -- UDAHO.

Now that's funny stuff.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
So is my different reading the result of some gender thing, or am I just a better discourse parser than kat and MJ
Stereotypical answer: It's a gender thing - a guy holding out hope for action.

Real answer: If Joey and Rachel are still together next episode and try again, I will declare you the better Discourse Parser (DP).

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I should add that the real tragedy isn't missing Friends -- it's missing Scrubs, the funniest sitcom on tv at the moment.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

I think it's really over, but they just did a crappy job of explaining it. Most Friends watchers didn't want them together anyway. It WAS a weird match.

I agree about Scrubs. I never fail to laugh aloud while watching. I think it's the funniest show I've ever seen. Jd and Terk (Turk) make the most hilarious guy "couple" around. I cracked up when they saw those two gay guys that looked just like them. [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

[ October 10, 2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: MaureenJanay ]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Papa - Dr.M watches NYPD Blue and gave me the highlights. I couldn't follow what he said about the case of the week, but here are the details about the squad:

Fraker's defense continues to try to impeach Rodriguez's character by bringing in witnesses to testify about his threatening that guy who was harassing his mom last year. The trial could go either way now - they're giving the verdict next week. Rodriguez and Ortiz are getting closer and it looks like romance is in the future for them. Baldwin and D.A. Haywood appear to be back on good terms. That's about it or all that Andrew could remember.

Also, no one mentioned that Monica and Phoebe's annoying friend was played by the great Jennifer Coolidge, who puts on a fake Madonna-esque English accent. Also, Chandler gets pedicures.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's over. Joey's got his own spinoff coming up. Sheesh.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

MJ: you may be right. At any rate, the relationship *has* to be over by the end of the season so they can do the Joey spin-off.

Whatever they do, they better not put Rachel and Ross back together -- he's become such a fussy, whiny, pathetic man that it no longer seems like a natural fit.

Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, Chandler gets pedicures? I must have missed that part! [Wink]

(j/k-it only said it about 10 times, just to make sure it was evident I was teasing)

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Jinx. 12345678910. You owe me Coke, Tom.
MaureenJanay
Member # 2935

I had no idea about the spin-off. Well, I'm kinda glad. Joey's the only character my hubby and I can tolerate.
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I do recall reading something before the new TV season started that was along the lines of the Joey/Rachel thing only lasting about 3 episodes. And it also said that "if you don't think Ross and Rachel will end up together you obviously don't know anything about TV". (rough quote)

I agree with you though Zalmoxis, Ross is just too big a whiney weenie. He drives me nuts.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hey, I read that article. It was written by the owner of the forum I linked Juliette to.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o I'm not a guy, but I coulda sworn that they were going to stay together...

Wow... I'm afraid that I care about this...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Friends don't let friends watch Friends...
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.