FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Because you ARE interested in my Writing Career-- Sale!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
SIX pages.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
What are you doing posting fluff, Scott?

Back to the grindstone! We need our next fix.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

You're not so old that I won't eat you, Zal.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Hey -- I'll be 15 next May. I'm clearly not a baby.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

15? Pshaw.

You might as well be six.

Scott R
Member # 567

I've developed a palate for mature babies.

Anyone under 40 is fair game.

Learned it from Slash.

Scott R
Member # 567

Oh, I swooon.

I got a jpeg of the art for 'Eviction Notice.' I'm very, very, happy with it.

I got OSC's permission to use it on my website as a link to IGMS. [Big Grin]

Check it out!

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
doesn't work [Frown]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Cool art -- congratulations.
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
You can see the image here until Scott fixes the missing quotation mark in his HTML: http://www.lordofallfools.com/EvicNotice1.jpg
Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, how cool! Congratulations!! [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!
Writers’ Resources link does not work though.

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I'll be signing copies of Writers of the Future XXI in Richmond, VA tomorrow between 2p-4p.

Here's the address:

Books-A-Million
9131 Midlothain Turnpike
Richmond, VA 23235
PHONE #: 804-272-1792

I'll also be doing a reading there of 'Blackberry Witch.'

Come and take pity on me.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, very cool! *beams*

I won't be there, though.

Wait...does this mean you are willing to meet Hatrackers now? As long as they are clapping for you?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Well. . . it means that if I happen to run into you in the store, and we are able to identify one another as Jatraqueros, I won't run away screaming.

[Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

Whenever I shop in Virginia, which hasn't happened yet but it's a long life so you never know, I will wear my KamaCon in the event of just such an occurrence. The KamaCon shirt with the logo. To prevent the running and screaming.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I keep that in mind, kat.

[Big Grin]

Scott R
Member # 567

Oh, and 'Song of the Rivelaunt' just posted to www.strongverse.org.

[Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

My goodness; it's lovely. ScottR may be my favorite living poet. [Smile]
Scott R
Member # 567

Aw, shucks... [Blushing]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Dangit.

Dangit.

Dangit.

Why don't I live in Virginia?

*shakes fist

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Because you live in Canada now. [Wink]

Just in case you forgot. [Razz]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I sold one book.

[Big Grin]

Scott R
Member # 567

Joogled By Broogles is live on Strongverse.org right now!
Scott R
Member # 567

Tangent Online has a review of the seven short stories in IGMS.

Here's the one for Eviction Notice:

quote:

Rick Manchester is the regret-filled protagonist of Scott M. Roberts’s story, “Eviction Notice.” He sees himself as a failed soldier, husband, and father. Facing eviction from the home which holds many powerful memories for him, Rick must confront his inner demons to save himself and the soul of his dead son, Tommy.

Roberts delivers lean, visceral prose full of memorable images: the demon who feeds off misery, Quincy Umble, symbolically castrates Rick by cutting off his beard with a combat knife; Tommy’s ghost is trapped in a dumbwaiter; dark butterflies signal the arrival of evil. Roberts’s skill is also evident in the fact that Rick, a man who has done despicable things and seems beyond redemption, wins the reader’s sympathy and approval. It’s also refreshing to read a story which assumes some intelligence on the part of the reader: exposition is delivered with subtlety, not a spoon. “Eviction Notice” is an unqualified success.

Hear that? I'm an unqualified success!

Erm. . .well, my story is anyway. . . UNQUALIFIED! SUCCESS!

Plus, how cool is it that the reviewer referred to me as 'Roberts.' Like with my last name, like I was some sort of. . . professional writer, or some junk?

:cavorts:

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
*applauds*
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
*cheering* Awesome review for an awesome story!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Scott. The review seems a little negative, based on the parts I've excerpted below:
quote:
Scott M. Roberts ... sees himself as a ... demon who feeds off ... dark butterflies ... of evil. Roberts ... is also ... a man who has done despicable things... with ... a spoon.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

SR: *claps* That's wonderful!! [Smile] [Smile]

EJS: That's also wonderful, in a completely twisted way. [Big Grin]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Just finished 'Out of the Deep Have I Howled Unto Thee.' The working title was 'Lead Kindly Light.'

Here's an excerpt:

quote:
The small things, that’s what Clark concentrated on. Never mind the wolf scratching at the insides of his hands, never mind the sound of its breath in his throat, the desire to hang his tongue out and let it loll. Never mind the way the moon, the full moon, tugged at his skin.

External things. Things outside of him, things beyond the reach of the wolf. The motorcycle, for one, his tools for another. The way the transmission rested in his hands. (Don’t think on the hands, no, that will lead to the wolf, the wolf...) The transmission. Rebuilt now, and it had taken him almost all night, but he had done it. He’d fought off the wolf all night by focusing on small things. The devil was in the details, but the wolf, thank God, was not. And maybe, tonight, the devil wasn’t in the details either. Tonight... God was in the details. God in the chrome, God in the gears, God in the grease and bolts and bits of everything that he touched.

Even as he thought it, he knew that that was another pathway to the wolf. Thinking about touching, about his fingers, his skin, the stripe of grease that was somehow on his lips... Clark felt an itch in the back of his throat to lick the grease, but stopped himself.

If anyone is interested in critiquing, email me at jbeekeeper at yahoo dot com.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*so tempted*

*so very tempted*

*puts fingers in ears and hums*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs at rivka*

*finds herself being pulled in*

No. No. Must. Write. Own. Stuff.

*plugs ears and thinks about plot for All the World's a Stage...

*flees thread*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I got some useful critiques back, edited 'Out of the Deep' and sent it off to F&SF...

My fingers is all crossed.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Scott, I've been pretty horribly delinquent in getting a critique written. Would it still be useful to you for me to finish it?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Sure. F&SF's slush pile is managed by the inestimable and cyborgly John Joseph Adams; I fully expect OotD to be rejected today, and returned to me by Monday, whereupon I shall practice further editing skillz before sending it off to Strange Horizons.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Okay, I'll get to work. Sorry for taking so long with it, by the way.
Scott R
Member # 567

S'okay. Take your time, Noemon. I hope you enjoy it!
Noemon
Member # 1115

I did--quite a bit, actually. My mistake was in not writing the critique immediately after I finished the story.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I missed this first time around. If you want another critique, send me a copy. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Did the critiques that you'd already received prompt you to make any substantial changes to the story, Scott?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
oooooo ... Scotticitiousness ... [Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Oh man, I feel bad. I did finish reading Out of the Deep. I just haven't written up my critique yet. I really enjoyed the story. It is a very interesting take on an old story idea. (Okay... old is such a relative term.) Good luck with your submission.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

It's okay people. I worked my mojo already. The story is now perfect (assuming Scott takes care of that one thing). [Big Grin]
Scott R
Member # 567

Well, it wasn't perfect enough, Zal, alas.

I got it back from F&SF on Monday with a form rejection.

I cut 300 words from it this morning, and will be sending it out to Strange Horizons here in a bit.

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ever get my "critique"?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I really liked the plot, feel, and language of "Blackberry Witch," and it's exactly along the lines of this new speculative fiction line. Are
you currently working on a novel (or anthology of short stories), or do you have a novel that you're shopping around? If so, I'd love to see it!

[Eek!]

This came in about an hour ago. It appears to be the real deal, from a real publisher.

[Eek!]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Er . . . so do you have a novel or novel-in-progress to send?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool on yer! [Smile]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's fantastic, Scott, assuming that you've got something to show him (and still pretty great, even if you don't).
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.