FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am the babalao.

Author Topic: I am the babalao.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
For years my father and I have joked around that the University of Miami must maintain a babalao (santerķa "witch doctor" type person) on staff to make all of those Wide Rights and Wide Left happen. As the Marlins began their end-of-season stretch, we joked that they must be sharing UM's babalao, as they had last at-bat win after last at-bat win, and many amazing comebacks. Last night, as I watched the freakish eight run eigth, I came to a very important conclusion.

I am the babalao.

Teams I root for generally win--but big deal. Lots of teams win. But the teams I root for always seem to pull out miracles when they desperately need them--but only when I'm watching the game (well, sometimes when I listen on the radio as well.) And it goes far beyond Wide Right and Wide Left, and Foulgate.

I have had a staggering impact on sports over the years.

Bill Buckner? I did that. I would go to any length necessary to avoid the Red Sox winning the World Series, including destroying a man's life. But, then again, he was only a Red Sox. *shrug*

I may have destroyed a Cubs fan's life last night. I feel bad about that, but that's a chance you just take when you root against me.

Kellen Winslow's fingertips grab on fourth and thirteen against West Virginia? That was me.

On January 2nd this year, Cor and I went out with Bob Scopatz, and I recorded the "BCS Championship." No big deal. I have found over the years that my powers do work retroactively, as long as I have no knowledge of the outcome of the game. It's kind of a Schrodinger's cat type of deal. Unfortunately, though, Cor discovered the outcome of the game and spoiled it for me, spoiling it for the Canes as well. If you're a Hurricane fan, or if you had money on them, I apologize.

I am not omnipotent. My powers do have limits. I can mostly just affect the close games, and sometimes I fail. And I'm sorry when my powers inevitably cause sorrow to some. But not too sorry.

I am thinking of renting my services out, for contests in which I do not already have a vested interest. I'm not a big hockey fan, so if you want, maybe you can get me to use my powers to influence your team's games--as long as it's not the Sunrise Panthers. I will not root for them. You have money on a boxing match? Maybe I can help you out.

Need me to influence a wrestling match?

Don't be absurd. I don't do movies or novels either.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So how did you do with games of chance? I wouldn't mind winning a lottery jackpot or two.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a Floridian, Icky. Did you vote for Bush in 2000?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El Babalao
Member # 5817

- posted      Profile for El Babalao   Email El Babalao         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't seem to have any impact on games of chance. It's hard to say, though, because I am very good at blackjack, so am I skilled or just lucky? But since I have never had success on a slot machine (in fact, I seem to have worse than standard luck at slots) I would tend to say no, I cannot influence games of chance.

Tom, good question. I voted for a third party candidate, and I couldn't decide which of the two major candidates was the lesser evil, so it's possible that I may have contributed to the turmoil. Wow. I hadn't thought of that. What a burden of responsibility. *frown*

[ October 15, 2003, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: El Babalao ]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
what do you think of team celia's odds in the upcoming finals season?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El Babalao
Member # 5817

- posted      Profile for El Babalao   Email El Babalao         Edit/Delete Post 
Illuminate me.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
are you moving in on my turf?
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
How much to make sure the Gators beat FSU this year?
Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

quote:
what do you think of team celia's odds in the upcoming finals season?
Magic 8-Ball says ...

Hang on. Wait for it to stop laughing.

Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El Babalao
Member # 5817

I dunno about that. I generally consider the Seminoles to be the lesser evil. But if you invited me over and plied me with beer and pizza, I might be persuaded to pull for the Gators. Remember, though, I mostly just influence close games. [Wink]
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm so confused, was that an insult?

hey, babs, maybe we can work out some sort of profit sharing thing. it'll be all win win, take money from losers.

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El Babalao
Member # 5817

That's the spirit! We can both take money from the people who don't believe in my powers!

I don't do point spreads, though. I just do flat out win or loss.

El Babalao
Member # 5817

And don't forget, you too could use my services!
Zan
Member # 4888

<points out that the Gators did far better against the Canes than FSU did>

<and we played Miami on their own turf>

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Won't you lose your powers if you use them for personal gain...?

...I think I read some fiction like that once...

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El Babalao
Member # 5817

Hmm . . . interesting point.

I wouldn't want to risk that.

Arguably, I've always gained, if in no other way than my enjoyment of the outcome, so I guess as long as the gain is not financial I'm safe. Beer and pizza are adequate recompense.

[Evil]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the Anti-Babalao.

I discovered this in high school when my school team won every football game. Overcome with school pride, I attended one game, and they lost badly.

The previous year I was in the band. We attended every game with the players, and won none. Except one time I couldn't make the game. That night we won.

Ever since then, any game I ignore, my team wins. Any game I watch, my team loses. A few years ago the Rams played the Nashville team in the super bowl. Remember that game? Remember how close Nashville came to winning? I was traveling across country, listening to the game on the radio. When the reception was clear, the rams had trouble. When the reception was poor, the rams kicked bootiey.

I don't do sports any more.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have you do my taxes for me Icarus, if you don't mind.

And I suppose being a babalao is better than being a baobab.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El Babalao
Member # 5817

I can't take credit for tonight's win, since it wasn't that close--unless you look at the series as a whole.

But I was on standby the whole time, in case I was needed!

[Evil]

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not care about baseball at all. *waits for flames* [Taunt]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

He funny!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El Babalao
Member # 5817

[Evil] [Evil] [Evil]

My work here is done!

That was tough tonight . . . I usually prefer games to be closer than this one was when I hexed the Sox in the eigth!

<--- tired, but will stay up to watch champagne baths.

[Evil Laugh]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.