FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Albums you can stand to listen to all the way through without skipping (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Albums you can stand to listen to all the way through without skipping
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[tangent]
Audioslave is a wonderful combo band - the great singer from Soundgarden + the great band from Rage Against the Machine = 1 really great band
[/tangent]

The Braveheart Soundtrack and Last of the Mohicans Soundtrack are wonderful and can go on repeat for hours with me. [Smile]

[ October 17, 2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Braveheart Sdtrk, too.
I've been wanting The Godfather Sdtrk. I hope I'll get it soon. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I study to the LOtR soundtrack a lot. My writing gets really intense during the orc-fighting scenes.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe! The thing I don't like about Gladiator is the volume. It goes anywhere from being barely audible to being really loud. But that does add to making it more intense.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, people. I would like to add my two cents to the subject.

I think my best non-skipping album is "The Mask and the Mirror", from Loreena Mckennitt, a Canadian singer. She plays the harp, and has a voice like an angel.
Her music has strong celtic influences, but it ranges from pure medieval to middle-eastern and oriental. Sometimes she uses eletrical guitars and other modern resources.
Her other albuns are also amazing. If you like "The Mask and the Mirror", Try the newest one, "Book of Secrets", or the earlier ones "The Visit", "Parallel Dreams" and "Elemental". It is not waitroom easy-listening music (like Enya). I find it much, much more powerful.

Without her music I would never concentrate myself enough to finish my Literature PHD.

The official site is www.quinlanroad.com

Here is the lyrics of (imho) the best music of "The Mask and the Mirror". Enjoy and let me know if you liked it:

THE BONNY SWANS (7:18)
Music by Loreena McKennitt. Words traditional, arranged and adapted by Loreena McKennitt

A farmer there lived in the north country
a hey ho bonny o
And he had daughters one, two, three
The swans swim so bonny o
These daughters they walked by the river's brim
a hey ho bonny o
The eldest pushed the youngest in
The swans swim so bonny o

Oh sister, oh sister, pray lend me your hand
with a hey ho a bonny o
And I will give you house and land
the swans swim so bonny o
I'll give you neither hand nor glove
with a hey ho a bonny o
Unless you give me your own true love

Sometimes she sank, sometimes she swam
with a hey ho and a bonny o
Until she came to a miller's dam

The miller's daughter, dressed in red
She went for some water to make some bread

Oh father, oh daddy, here swims a swan
It's very like a gentle woman
They placed her on the bank to dry
There came a harper passing by

He made harp pins of her fingers fair
He made harp strings of her golden hair
He made a harp of her breast bone
And straight it began to play alone

He brought it to her father's hall
And there was the court, assembled all
He laid the harp upon a stone
And straight it began to play lone

And there does sit my father the King
And yonder sits my mother the Queen
And there does sit my brother Hugh
And by him William, sweet and true
And there does sit my false sister, Anne
Who drowned me for the sake of a man

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, you might want to delete some of those lyrics. I don't know what the copy right is on that, but if it is copyrighted OSC and company could be sued for violation.

If this isn't under copyright, I'm sorry. [Embarrassed] If it is, don't sweat it, this has happened before, but getting rid of all but a few sections would probably be good...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrics: Traditional

I think it answers your question ;-)

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, sorry to bring it up. [Embarrassed] Just wasn't sure what "arranged and adapted" counted for. [Smile] Didn't mean to jump all over you about it, just a little worried.

*Offers hand-shake*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

No problem, Hobbes. I understand your concern.
Loreena writes the lyrics for most of her songs, although she likes to use traditional ones (one or two per album). I choose a traditional one, just to be on the safer side.

Anyway, if anyone is curious about her, her work or other lyrics, just go to www.quinlanroad.com.

Well...time to go back to "The Land of Mordor, where shadows lie" (That would be Copacabana, where I live, hehehe) [Wink]

ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Another good, no-skip album: Rain Dogs by Tom Waits. It takes some getting used to, but it has this incredibly rich sound, perfect accompaniment for Waits's—pardon the cliche—gravelly voice. This is my favourite album of his; it's the first one where he really started doing something fresh and new. Sadly I lack the musical vocabulary to describe the album further. It's a bit jazzy, but also a bit. . . not.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
ah, my best friend and i listened to Alice by tom waits in the dark while driving up highway 5 back to norcal.
it was wonderful!

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Adding a couple more.

Both Terria and Ocean Machine: Biomech by Devin Townsend (the second was originally by the "band" Ocean Machine, but is now referred to as above with the artist being Devin Townsend) are fantastic albums to listen to from start to finish.

I have had a heck of a time describing the sound of these two albums. While Physicist is much more straight forward speed/thrash sort of sound (with an incredibly effective infusion of "pop" sensibility-yeah, sounds weird but it works amazingly well) these two are not like that at all. While there are some faster songs, and some heavy songs, the overall sound is very "atmospheric" (that is the only word I have come up with). I call it ambient metal. There are slower songs, songs with slower parts, some very catchy tunes, but still some extremely tight musicianship and some long, meandering songs. Very interesting stuff. I would recommend Biomech first. A really breathtaking and captivating album. (I sort of think of it as some of the feel of Pink Floyd, but with a lot more kick).

Oh, and funny also. "Earth Day" has some great lyrics (Eat Your Beets (Recycle, recycle) Don't Eat Your Beets (recycle, recycle)).

Edit: UBB stupidity

[ October 18, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Jexxster ]

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
My recommendations (although everyone may have thought of them all ready) are:

Rumors Fleetwood Mac
Who's Next The Who
Dark Side of the Moon Pink Floyd

And, from someone else who remembers Dan Fogelberg (although may not remember how to spell it):

Year of the Cat and Time Passages Al Stewart

Al's music is lite rock like Dan's, but with Peter White's classical guitar and Al's lyrics, which are some of the most intellictual lyrics of modern music (IMO).

Anyway, views from an old-school nerd. [Wink]

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Of A Revolution
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Year of the Cat. I just got it about 6 months ago, but it's one of my favorites. I haven't been able to find any other Al Stewart around though.

When listing the album's assets, you forgot to mention that it was produced by Alan Parsons.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Another O.A.R. fan! I mentioned Any Time Now on the last page, but I wasn't thrilled with their new album, aside from "Revisited".
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.