FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yahhh!

Author Topic: Yahhh!
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Some idiot ran into my bike and bent my front wheel a few minutes ago. [Frown] He was going the wrong way down a one way street that I was turning into and since it’s raining today (making it slippery) we didn’t stop in time and he ran into my front wheel. He said sorry and immediately biked away. Which is what I attempted to do, except my wheel didn’t move. At which point I discovered it was bent far too much to get through the fork.

Kind of ironic that after all my worries about cars it’s another biker who does me in. [Embarrassed] The worst part is that getting to a bike shop to replace the tire is difficult without a bike, and I just ordered bike gloves (that have already been shipped). Wahhh! [Cry]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 17, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

That just sucks. Sorry to hear about it.

[Frown]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
As we motorcyclists are wont to say: glad YOU weren't hurt! But anyway, that sucks! Sorry about your wheels.

(resisting making joke about spokespersons....) ... (oh, wait)

{{{ [Cry] }}}

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

(((((Kala)))))
(((((JVP)))))

Just so you know, when I start a topic entitled "Wahhh!" it's because I'm depressed and want to vent, but not seriously emotionaly criplled for life. [Smile] Just in case anyone was getting nervous... [Wink]

But if I can't get a replacment tire before winter comes I will be because biking is the only thing I enjoy that I can do here on a consistant level. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 16, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that you just liked to proximity of OOOW! and Wahhh! on the page. Kind of put me in mind of Terry Jones in The Holy Grail somehow.

[ October 16, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That is tragic. I would be so mad if that happened to my bike. And a fellow biker!! (shakes head)

You have every right to vent!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Hobbes. [Frown] I hope you can get it replaced. I don't know much about bike repair, but is it possible to repair the wheel you already have? If so, would that be cheaper than replacing the whole thing? [Frown]

I'm glad you're not hurt though and I'm glad you're not scarred for life. [Smile] [Kiss]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ravenclaw
Member # 4377

- posted      Profile for ravenclaw           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((Hobbes)))))))
Posts: 252 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of bike do you have Hobbes?
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
A bent one, Nick. Weren't you reading?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Thank. [Group Hug] [Smile] (Ravenclaw! Haven't seen you here in a while ((((Ravenclaw)))) [Smile] )

[Laugh] Papa Moose [Smile]

I have a Trek 1000. I never upgraded anything on it so if you walk in and buy a Trek 1000 it would have exactly the same parts that I have now.

Hobbes [Smile]

celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
do you need a lift anywhere?

oh, and ha! i told you it was the bikers who were dangerous.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
A bent one, Nick. Weren't you reading?
Actually Papa Moose, the wheel was the bent part, not the bike. Weren't you reading?
[Evil Laugh] jk [Wink]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hmmmm that would solve a lot of problems (by which I mean the one problem of transportation. [Wink] ) but I don't want to impose on you, especially after you just fed me dinner since I couldn't get it anywhere else. <--*Feels like a big fat moucher, esepecially fat since he ate so much of Bill's fine cookin' [Big Grin] *

I'm going to call my Dad tonight and see what he thinks about a new tire (as in what kind to get).

Hobbes [Smile]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest round.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] That sucketh most greatly.

(((((Hobbes))))) Hope they can fix it up for you toot sweet!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Then which part constitutes the bike? Just the frame? Does this include the handlebars? When you purchase a bike somewhere, how much do you expect? "Oh, this bike was a great deal -- they threw in handlebars, wheels, innertubes, tires, reflectors, pedals, a chain, and even some ballbearings and a kickstand!"

Now I realize that people often replace various parts of a bike to improve it, and it's probably the replacement of a frame that would constitute having a new bike. But if I were to say that I cut myself, and you said, "Oh, you didn't actually cut yourself, because it's just your arm," I'd think you were nuts. Instead, have a cookie. I mean, if you want one, go get one, because I don't have any. But I think you'd be well served to have one about now. That's all I mean. [Smile]

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

i meant, like to a shop for parts or whatnot. i know there's one downtown (maybe 2), but that's a long walk, and the weather sucks. eh, you know where to find me if you need me.

and, yeah, now you know how i got so fat. [Wink]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Pop:
[ROFL]

You know I was kidding right? I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was a smart-alleck. [Smile]

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Hobbes)))))
I hope you get your bike fixed OK.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, hope you can get it fixed soon!
Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Celia (THANK-YOU CELIA! [Big Grin] [Party] [Kiss] (just don't tell Bill [Wink] ) drove me to the bike shop this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon, I get to go down and pick up a fully spoked wheel! [Big Grin]

But that's not all, this little store in the basement of my dorm (which is the only place that takes this money we have to get with the dorm meals) stopped selling the little Smartfood White Cheedar popcorn bags. I was very depressed, until tonight when I discovered that they've now started selling the big kind! W00T! [Party]

Hobbes [Smile]

BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Hobbes! I'm glad you're getting your new tire in time to ride it some more before winter rolls in. [Big Grin]

Mmm...white cheddar popcorn...

Yay Celia for taking Hobbes to go get a new tire!

:: [Party] 's all around::

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of how there was a speed limit for cyclists on our campus. They even had little speed guns. Of course, it was the U of U which is "quite pointy at parts" so it was possible to get over the 25 mph limit without really trying. I forget if someone was killed/severely injured on campus or if it just came up in the bizarre news of the world columns.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
HOBBES! I already apologized, you don't have to broadcast it all over hatrack... I'm SORRY! [Razz]

Just kidding.

Sorry to hear that happened to you!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<<<<Hobbes>>>>>> Please be careful! I worry about you getting hurt!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat*

[Smile]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

yeah, the celia taxi service only costs you your soul.

not a bad deal, is it?

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Hobbes [Group Hug] [Kiss]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Celia, I didn't know it would cost me my soul! Is the contract valid if I never signed? [Eek!]

And the rest of you (non soul stealers, *mumbles about Celia*) [Group Hug] [Kiss] [The Wave]

Hobbes [Smile]

celia60
Member # 2039

as has already been established, your signature is not required.

you knew who you were getting in the car with. i don't see why you're claiming ignorance now.

[Big Grin]

ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes:
quote:
I have a Trek 1000. I never upgraded anything on it so if you walk in and buy a Trek 1000 it would have exactly the same parts that I have now.
I would hope not! [Eek!]

Papa Moose:
quote:
Then which part constitutes the bike? Just the frame? Does this include the handlebars?
The real question is, if Hobbes, in the course of riding around town, had suffered a few more accidents, each accident requiring the replacement of a new part, and someone was following behind him collecting and fixing the parts to reassemble into a new bike, which bike would be the true Bike of Hobbes? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.