Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Race

Author Topic: Race
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
There's something I've been thinking about for a long time. If human life started in Africa, and then humans migrated to Europe, how did Europeans develop as the dominant technological power. Europeans became the dominant race because they got themselves there. If a person works his way to the top shouldn't he get to enjoy the rewards? Would it be the same for a race?

Not my opinion. I know it leans towards racism but I've been thinking about it for a long time.

[ October 21, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Ryan Hart ]

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
>> If a person works his way to the top shouldn't he get to enjoy the rewards? <<

Not to the point where it hurts or hinders others, which is where the analogy breaks down.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really able to give you an answer to that, but I highly suggest Guns Germs and Steel.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(crosses the finish line)

I WIN!!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
MRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! *makes engine noises* [Big Grin]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
(The interweb ate my post. [Mad] )

Guns, Germs and Steel, by Jared Diamond.

As Hobbes suggested.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan, your argument can be restated this way:

A person or people who have something must have done something to deserve it.

Do you believe this?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit! I was gonna suggest Guns, Germs and Steel and two other people beat me to it. Curses!

What Tom D said, including a discussion about inheritance...

I must say, the post that began this thread sure sounded like someone trolling for an argument...

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Three people recommended Diamond's book before I did!
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there's this book you should read. It's called Guns, Germs, and...oh.

Actually, I've been meaning to read this book ever since I saw it mentioned in OSC's forward to Shadow of the Hegemon. (that's where it is, isn't it?) Thanks everyone for reminding me.

By the way, to whom much is given, much is demanded. In other words, if white people are actually better than members of other races, more should be expected of them, not less.

Oh, and what about Asians? Given the sheer number of things the Chinese invented, I'd say they might have accomplished more than the Europeans. I suppose it depends on what yardstick you're using. If it's power (especially political power), then the Europeans might win. If it's technology, then I'd say the Asians are doing pretty well. Abstract thought? Probably the Greeks, although if I recall correctly, Muslims made huge contributions to mathematics.

Really though, I think it's stilly to worry too much about what race did what. The important thing is what individuals can accomplish now. Looking at someone's race to determine their potential is ridiculous.

[ October 22, 2003, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Diamond -- if I recall correctly -- addresses a similar question. While Ryan's question seems to be more about the might-makes-right philosophy than actual racial superiority, Diamond addresses a not-so-rare belief that since Europeans and their descendants have conquered and held most of the world for hundreds of years, their brains must be stronger through continuous invention (i.e., if you're strong, and prove it by lifting heavier and heavier weights, your arm must be stronger than one who doesn't lift weights; apply the same logic to the brain). He offers several pages in dissecting the theory -- somewhere in the first hundred pages or so, I believe.

Sorry I can't be more exact. It's been quite some time since I read it last.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I add my vote in for Guns, Germs and Steel. I read it because I saw it recommended so many times here at Hatrack and it was well worth the time.

The only problem I had was that Diamond seemed to be really long-winded at points explaining the same points over and over.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to point out that there is no such thing as race in terms of humans. The subtle differences between people from different parts of the world are biologically insignificant and do not justify a classification into different races.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Or to use the oft cited example, 55 chimpanzees living on one side of a single mountain in CentralAfrica have greater genetic differences/distance amongst themselves than all of humanity.

[ October 22, 2003, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
how did Europeans develop as the dominant technological power.
Because Europeans had more conflicts with eachother, they had to develop more technology for killing eachother off; because Europeans were able to sustain a greater population in a smaller area (due to better soil, etc), they had more diseases, and developed stronger immune systems than other nations more sparsely populted.

Really-- Guns, Germs, and Steel should be required reading to post on this site. [Smile]

[ October 22, 2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Inheritance of resources really is antithetical to a merit-based philosophy of economics.

Odd that so many who profess an allegiance to pure merit will defend inheritance policy so rigorously. [Confused]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Scott: Yep. GGS should be required for all, IMHO.]

[ October 22, 2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the availability of animals well suited to domestication Scott--that's a big one too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Noemon-- theorhetically, the Africans had a greater resource of domesticatable (is that a word?) animals. Don't quote me on it, but the variety of animal life in Africa beats Europe's hands down.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The variety of life may be greater in some parts of Africa, but nonetheless, Europe had more animals that were domesticatable, I think. Doesn't Diamond talk about this, citing the zebra as an example of an animal that looks like it would be domesticatable on paper, but in practice is way too viscious? It's been 5 or 6 years since I've read GGS, though, so I could be remembering incorrectly.

Come to think of it though, wasn't there a very early iron using civilization in West Africa?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're right, Noemon. There is a large variety of animals in Africa, but few that are domesticable.

I don't think it was discussed in the book, but what about elephants? I know they are used for travel, pulling things, etc. I guess they're a bit large for plowing a field though.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Were Arican elephants used for this to the same extent that Asian elephants were/are? Carthage used them as war mounts, I know, but were they used for other purposes? I honestly have no idea.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There are many theories of why Europeans mastered the world.

This assumes that Europeans mastered the world.

China has one of the greatest empires the world has ever known, and except for about 150 years, was undisputed master of all of Asia. Today, they are the 2nd super power, and striving to be number 1.

Japan is one of the great economic forces in the world, and Korea is right on its trail.

Europe had several advantages which were more accidents of history than any special inbred ability.

When the European's landed in the America's the Aztec capital was a larger city, with many better technologies, than any city in Euope accept decaying Rome. It was the diseases we brought, and the internal wars of the natives that allowed us to conquer.

While Rome was burning and torturing people for trying to understand scientific principles, the Caliph's of Arabia were creating the math and science that later Enlightened European's stole from them.

If you believe that those who have proven their mastery of the world should be the genetic supermen, chosen by destiny to be rulers of the world, then we would all be speaking Egyptian, or Chinese, or Sumerian.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
It was the diseases we brought, and the internal wars of the natives that allowed us to conquer.
I don't disagree-- but I think you'll find that superior technology played a HUGE part as well, and should not be discounted.
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While Rome was burning and torturing people for trying to understand scientific principles, the Caliph's of Arabia were creating the math and science that later Enlightened European's stole from them.

Sure, the Caliphs were torturing and burning people for different reasons. You go too far when you attempt to paint one culture as superiour to another, as you are here.

Why do you consider the spreading of knowledge to be stealing? Did the Arabs STEAL knowledge of the printing press? I don't think so.

Edit: added last paragraph

[ October 22, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Robespierre ]

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe he talked about elephants and why they are not so great for many things as well. Although I do not quite buy his theory on zebras- I am sure the factors he listed would make it quite a bit harder to domesticate the zebra than the horse, but that does not mean it could not be done if one was determined to do it. It seems to me it could be more of a much higher barrier to entry for the zebra than the horse, and it might be (well I suppose is, or it would have happened) high enough for it not to be immediately worth it, or even worth it in a few generations.

I do not have the book handy right now, so if someone who does would kindly list the basic differences between taming and domesticating I would greatly appreciate. I seem to recall that there was an assumption that taming/domesticating was basically a binary rather than a linear question, but I could be wrong. And if that assumption is there, then I cannot remember any actual support he gave for it, or even if it was explicitly stated.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Robes, I was trying to fight the idea of comparing cultures by showing that other cultures besides European had great thinkers and scientists.

The spreading of knowledge is great, and went many ways. However, when you try to claim moral superiority by virtue of the technology that came to you by way of those you deem inferior, then I claim that is theft.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
their brains must be stronger through continuous invention
I find this ridiculous.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

Teshi: Haven't you heard of aquired charicteristics? [Wink]

Tom: From a Secular point of view yes. (However as I am a Christian I think God often grants people what they get.) Unless it is in perspective of inherited wealth, however someone must've had to do something to get it.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"From a Secular point of view yes. (However as I am a Christian I think God often grants people what they get.)"

Ryan, if you honestly believe that all people deserve what they have -- either by having worked to earn it or having had their fortune bestowed upon them by God by virtue of their merits -- then there's nothing wrong with concluding that the people who are in power in any given situation are only there because they're better than the ones who aren't.

I will say that it is hard for me to understand how someone can actually believe this, but you're entitled to both your premise and your conclusion.

[ October 22, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

- posted      Profile for Leto II   Email Leto II         Edit/Delete Post 
THE INDUS RIVER (AND THE INDUS RIVER VALLEY) IS NOT LOCATED IN AFRICA.

Really, kids. Civilization learned the very wise lesson of centralization in Africa—a lesson still in use today—but civilization started elsewhere.

Also, Ryan, by what criteria are you judging Europe and Africa? If it were not for Northern Africa and the Middle East (and the sciences and social lessons therein, among other things), Europe would still be a land of knuckle-dragging, inbred savages.

Some would say they still are.

I find the recent trends regarding race and racism slightly disturbing. More white suburbanites need to be transplanted south of the Sahara for a year or two. Maybe an exchange program as a social study on how comfortable couches and television affect human perception of how the world works.

[edit to add] Make that exchange program compulsory. And yes, I mean for me too.

[ October 22, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Leto II ]

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Proof that western culture is indeed dominant in the modern world: In order for a man of any nationality to be taken seriously by the international community, he must wear a tie.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

Proof that Mid-Eastern culture is dominant: Algebra is still a large component in mathematics; both the dome and the arch are architecturally superior to alternatives to this day; at least 90% of the entire world prays to a god that was borne out of the region (in a fixed religion).
Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

We can thank Africa for the idea of an afterlife, for honor to the dead, for early astronomical study, for some of the first universities, and for a girl's best friend—the diamond.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you weren't taking my comment seriously [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

Nah, you're just gonna be on the first boat in the exchange program (sitting right next to me). [Wink]
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

Tom I missunderstood. I don't necessarily think people deserve what they get, but cause and effect. Europeans do something, they become dominant.

Leto: I didn't say civilization, I said humanity. Our species evolved in Africa. And your post makes claims that cannot be discussed or disputed. What lessons of science and society? As for Algebra, someone else would have discovered it eventually. Two people working from the same body of facts often come to the same conclusion (Newton and Leibnez, Darwin and the other guy who's name I can't remember). On that note Calculus, Evolution, Nuclear Theory, Atomic Theory, Riflery all came out of Europe. European culture is dominant becasue as Geoff said do modernized Africans resemble us in dress or vice versa?

It seems to me that Europe is on top.

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Europe!!!

WOOOOOO!!!!!

[The Wave]
[The Wave]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamwalker
Member # 4189

- posted      Profile for Dreamwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It seems to me that Europe is on top.
ohh the missionary position [Taunt]
Posts: 141 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I don't necessarily think people deserve what they get, but cause and effect. Europeans do something, they become dominant."

How is this different from deserving what you get, in practice?

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

The Europeans may have been terrible mean people, but they did something and then something occured. In this case dominance.

Causality. (I just watched Matrix:Reloaded forgive the cliche.)

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks* Ryan, that's a correlation. Which may or may not imply causality.

It's hard to prove what might have happened had the Europeans acted differently. Might things have turned out much the same? Radically different? It's a question that fuels many books.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting you should say that about inheritance, Claudia. I've been quietly questioning whether inheritance is really proper for a couple of years now, and the best reasons I can come up with for keeping it are 1) cheating and massive social disruption as people resist the change and 2) the danger of the massive government controls needed to take the money and redistribute it every time someone dies. Good reasons, but nothing really fundamental.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.