FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Scary Movies

Author Topic: Scary Movies
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine and Ryan are off to some kind of Mommy thing tonight leaving me a few hours by my self at home. Since I won't be able to fully celebrate Halloween in style this year, I'm going to at least watch a good horror flick.

Give me some ideas. Right now I'm leaning towards The Ring or maybe 28 Days Later.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zeroemus
Member # 3169

- posted      Profile for zeroemus           Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw 28 Days Later, though I really wish I did when it was in theaters. My bet would be on that, since I saw the Ring multiple times and it was only effective the first time.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
28 Days Later was a good flick. It wasn't terribly scary, but I liked it.

The most frightening movie I've ever seen is The Shining. You have to watch it alone, though. It loses all power if you're with friends.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is possibly one of the worst horror flicks ever in existence, but it has left an indelible mark on me since I was a kid. The Ghost of Boggy Swamp is a really, and I mean really, cheesy 1970s flick about Bigfoot. But there's this one scene where a fellow is near a window and Bigfoot reaches in and grabs his head. The guy's head is bashed against the wall a few times and then he's released.

Sure, it was just a guy's arm in a hairy suit and the victim wasn't killed (I don't think), but to my seven year old mind, this was a REAL threat. I still can't seem to shake it and to this day, I will not sleep under a window if at all possible.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
See if you can find a move called Phase 4. It is about ants that get smart. REALLY creepy.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
28 days is definatly worth checking out.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw the Ring multiple times and it was only effective the first time.
Really? I've only seen it once, but I'm too afraid to watch it again. [Angst]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw The Ring with a girl I liked (Followed it up with The Exorcist and The Shining a week or two later. But I was disappointed. Isn't the point of watching a scary movie with a girl that she jumps into your lap?

I liked The Ring the first time I saw it, until I thought it should have ended. And then it kept going.. and turned corny.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find The Ring all that scary. But, even with it's terrible script, I found myself jumping a few times during House on Haunted Hill.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
28 Days Later isn't really scary, it's more intense than anything. And there are some good jumps in it [Smile]

I'd lean towards that; though I've not seen it, I've heard The Ring was just stupid.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
I like [Eek!] Prince of Darkness [Angst] by John Carpenter. Very creepy and disturbing, though bits of it are corny. Possibly the best religion-based horror I've ever seen. It has Alice Cooper in it eating bugs, what more could you ask for? Or Carpenter's version of The Thing, a horror classic [Angst] . Avoid Carpenter's [Laugh] Vampires or Ghosts of Mars. Both are terrible. [Frown]

You can also look for anything by Dario Argento. His films are creepy, spooky, bloody and graphic, and stylish. Sorry, I don't have any titles on hand.

Have fun. What's that behind you!! [Eek!] [Angst] Haha [Razz]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.