FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » my mother died on Tuesday...

Author Topic: my mother died on Tuesday...
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
It's illogical that I should be upset about it, because she was abusive to me throughout my childhood, and we were estranged. I haven't seen her in four years.

But I feel upset anyway.

[Cry]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you're upset. If you weren't you would be breaking all the known laws of the psychological universe.

I'm so sorry, Yozhik. You have my deepest sympathies. [Frown]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear that. It's not illogical that you feel sad.

I'm sorry.

((((((((((((((((((Yozhik)))))))))))))))))

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Logic has little to do with feelings.

((((Yozhik)))) [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. *hugs you*
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm very sorry. (((Yozhik))) [Group Hug]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] (((((Yozhik))))) [Frown]

Whatever else she might have been, she was your mother. And no matter how impossible you may have known it to be, some tiny part of you likely held out hope that she would someday become the mother she should have been. And her death makes that absolutely impossible.

In this life, at least.

So no, I wouldn't call your feelings illogical. Not, as Morbo pointed out, that feelings are particularly subject to logic.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yozhik-
You not only grieve for her loss, but for the loss of what might have been.
Tears are good... like rain for the soul.

Best wishes to you-

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
((((Yozhik))))
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
((((Yozhik))))
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww, I'm so sorry... listen, e-mail or IM me at any time if you need someone to talk to, ok?

(((((((((((((((((Yozhik))))))))))))))))))

[Group Hug]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Yozhik)))
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Yozhik. [Frown]

[ November 03, 2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<<<Yozhik>>>>> All losses will be restored, and all lacks made up and then some, dear sister Yozhik. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother, and for the loss you've always felt of the mother she should have been.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Yozhik)))))

[Frown]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Yozhik)))

Perhaps the next time that the two of you meet, she will have realized her failures and will seek to make up for lost and ill-spent time.

[Group Hug] (((Yozhik))) [Group Hug]

Merry meet, merry part, and merry meet again...

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Yozhik)))))

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm deeply sorry for your loss.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((((((((((((((((Yozhik))))))))))))))))))))
I'm sorry. Here you will always be able to find all hugs and comfort you need. Just ask !

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost my grandma some months ago. It was tough. [Frown]

(((Yozhik)))

[Group Hug]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Yozhik,

I'm so sorry for your loss. No matter the circumstances the grieving process will be long, but it is supposed to take time. Whatever emotions you may feel, don't judge them just allow yourself to work through them and take your time.

[Group Hug]

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((((((((((Yozhik))))))))))))))))
I'm so sorry.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
My sincerest condolences, be strong.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yohzik, you have my deepest sympathies. *hugs her gently*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yohzik, all that you're feeling is perfectly normal and okay. It's not illogical. I'll keep you in my prayers.

(((((((Yohzik)))))))

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
((Yozhik ))

A hug from me as well. Hugs are so much better than words can ever be....

[Group Hug]

My prayers are with you and your family

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Hugs & support, Yohzik.

-Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Yozhik))) I am so sorry for your loss and for your pain. I think that in many ways it is harder to loose a mother when the memories you keep of her are not comforting.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Condolences...
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry for you.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Yozhik)))))
[Frown]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bookmastr
Member # 4475

- posted      Profile for bookmastr   Email bookmastr         Edit/Delete Post 
You have my deepest condolances. if there is anything any of us can do. let us know

((((((((Yozhik)))))))) [Group Hug] [Group Hug]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yozhik, I'm so sorry for your time of grieving. You'll be in my thoughts.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Yohzik, I'm so sorry. It's not surprising at all that you'd be feeling this way. ((Yohzik))
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you to everyone for your replies.
This week was better than last week. I am mostly trying not to obsess about it since I have the rest of the semester to get through and I have to do well because there's no point in flushing my scholarship down the toilet.

I appreciate the understanding that you have shown. Usually, when I have to admit to people (especially at church) that I don't have contact with my mother, they look at me like I've just announced that I eat live babies for breakfast.

They weren't there. They don't know.

So now she is dead and sometimes I feel sad, but sometimes I just feel calm. Safe. Like I can go on with my life now.

I wonder if I will be able to talk to her in the next life. I wonder what she would say. I wonder if she would apologize and then we could have a good laugh about what a lousy parent she was.

------------------
The Ugly Duckling

Once there was a hen. The hen sat on an egg until it hatched. The chick that came out looked a little strange to the hen. Instead of a narrow, sharp beak, the chick had a flat, rounded one. Instead of claws, she had odd leaflike feet.

"What an ugly chick," thought the hen. "But she is all mine, since I hatched her. She will stay with me and be my little chick forever."

As the chick grew, the hen told her that she was an ugly chick and it was lucky for her that the hen took care of her. The chick knew that this was true. So she tried to do whatever the hen wanted, because she knew that if she did not, the hen would not love her any more.

However, the hen became more and more upset with the chick as time went by. When the chick grew feathers, they didn't look very much like chicken feathers, so the hen tried to pluck them out. The hen did not like the webbing between the chick's toes (because she herself didn't have any webbing, and could not imagine why any hen would want to have it) so whenever she noticed it, she pecked at it with her sharp cruel beak. (The chick got used to walking with her feet scrunched up so that the webbing was hard to see.)

And when the hen caught the chick fluttering her wings and trying to fly, the hen, who had never flown, took strips of cloth and bound them around the chick's wings. The chick cried out in pain, but it was worth it to the hen, to know that her little chick would always stay safely in the hen yard.

One day, years later, the gate to the hen yard got open somehow, and the chick waddled out the gate and down the path until she came to a pond.

In the middle of the pond, some strange birds were swimming. Slowly, she stepped into the pond and swam out to meet them. Swimming felt wonderful.

"Hello," she said to them. "Who are you?"
"We are ducks," they said, "and we are flying south to the marsh. It is beautiful there and there are wonderful things to eat." With that, the strange birds flew swiftly away.

"I want to fly south too, to the marsh," thought the chick. "I do not want to live in the hen house any more."

She began to pull at the strips of cloth that bound her wings. It took a long time to get them off. Finally, she pulled away the last strip of cloth.

Then she saw that her wings were nothing like the broad, powerful wings of the ducks. They were tiny and weak, with twisted bones and almost no feathers.

These wings could not fly, and they never would.

The chick thought for a long time, and cried for a long time.

The hen called from the hen yard, "Where are you, my little chick? Come back at once, or you'll be sorry! How can you abandon me after all I've done for you?"

"I am not your little chick. I am a duck. And I am going to live in the marsh." With that, the duck turned her back on the hen yard and began walking southward.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]

That's beautiful.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Some more hugs for you. [Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug] [Group Hug]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
<<<<<Yozhik>>>>>>

I don't always remember it. It comes and goes. But I was told. And so I believe. All losses will be restored. More than we can imagine. Overflowing.

<<<<<<Yozhik>>>>>>

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.